Talk

Advanced search

Hope the rain doesn't stop you voting.

(31 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Thu 23-Jun-16 07:53:20

It is an old saying that the Labour Party always prayed for a dry day as the turnout was low if it rained. I am hoping that this doesn't apply to the undecided or those who are complacently thinking that we will never leave the EU.

Brokenbiscuit Thu 23-Jun-16 07:54:40

Definitely not!

But I'm worried that it may put some people off. I really want the turnout to be high, no matter what the result is.

Redglitter Thu 23-Jun-16 07:54:54

It's a beautiful sunny day here

Savemefromwine Thu 23-Jun-16 07:58:37

There was a discussion about this on radio 5 yesterday as it was seen that posh Tory voters had cars and so voted in the rain while poor labour supporters didn't fancy getting wet walking or on the bus.

There has been no correlation or evidence that this was ever true now or in the past and it's a myth. People who want to vote do so whatever the weather.

And if labour voters vote the way their present leader always used to believe they would be voting out. It's been hilarious seeing Jeremy back up over Europe like a beeping truck.

londonrach Thu 23-Jun-16 07:58:39

Think turnout will be high as its very important vote and even people who havent voted seem to be this time!

HappydaysArehere Thu 23-Jun-16 08:00:16

Where are you Red. Longing for some sunshine. Got a neighbour's dog to walk as well as voting, etc.

BrianCoxReborn Thu 23-Jun-16 08:00:38

Beautiful day here in the NW (Cheshire).

BarbaraofSeville Thu 23-Jun-16 08:36:29

What rain? None at all forecast here today (Yorkshire). Seems we have better weather than the south for once.

branofthemist Thu 23-Jun-16 08:38:14

Its lovely here. I have a vest top on and going to go for a run in the nice weather.

That saying is shit. It's saying voting is important to working class people if a bit of rain puts them off.

branofthemist Thu 23-Jun-16 08:40:40

isnt important

MintyChapstick Thu 23-Jun-16 08:41:49

It's gorgeous, warm and sunny here as well. Makes a nice change as it pissed down for most of last week.

notamummy10 Thu 23-Jun-16 08:43:05

It's dry here at the moment, even if it did rain I'd still go and vote!

alltouchedout Thu 23-Jun-16 08:43:28

Lovely sunny morning here in Manchester. Nothing short of an emergency that makes it physically impossible for me to get to the polling station will stop me voting though. I want to stay in the EU.

julietbat Thu 23-Jun-16 08:43:54

I'm in the south west and it's beautiful and sunny here smile

julietbat Thu 23-Jun-16 08:45:45

And as I teach about apartheid in SA, the civil rights campaigns in the US and the campaign for votes for women here I'd be pretty hypocritical if I didn't take up my right to vote every single time I'm able!

MintyChapstick Thu 23-Jun-16 08:55:27

It irks me how some people (mainly the media) assume that because the weather is good/bad in the South East theb it must be the same everywhere. So small minded, the UK doesn't come to an end at the Watford Gap people!

FuzzyOwl Thu 23-Jun-16 08:57:33

I would always vote regardless of the weather.

Runningupthathill82 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:04:43

It really bloody annoys me when everyone presumes it's raining everywhere because it's raining in That London.
I'm in my shorts and just about to jog to the polling station in the bright sunshine. To vote Remain.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 23-Jun-16 09:04:49

YY Minty. Usually during heatwaves in the south east but it's still cold and rainy in various parts or all of the north and the media and a lot of people on here go on about the lovely weather, going to the park/beach etc and publish lots of pictures of people out enjoying the sunshine.

It's bad enough that our weather is worse, but when the vocal minority don't even acknowledge this, it gets a little wearing.

WorraLiberty Thu 23-Jun-16 09:08:33

Well I'm in that London and there are loads of roads flooded here.

I hope all the Polling Stations are open.

BikeRunSki Thu 23-Jun-16 09:09:35

Dry and sunny in West Yorkshire, vote is cast, but the weather wouldn't have stopoed me.

Is that why elections are usually in May?

TheoriginalLEM Thu 23-Jun-16 09:13:34

getting a bit pissed off with being told to vote every time i turn on Facebook or mnet. The contrary madsm in me is starting to think bugger it. I will vite but it is MY decision whether to do so or not. I don't need nagging into it.

HahahahaFuckYou Thu 23-Jun-16 09:16:45

It's lovely here in torquay. Which I'm glad about as most people I've spoken to plan on voting leave!

CrispsAndChoc Thu 23-Jun-16 10:19:40

I've just walked to the polling station with a pram, in the rain and the main road is having roadworks so pedestrian crossings were all closed. It's like someone really didn't want me to vote! Still did though-as someone already said earlier-would have to be a proper emergency for me not to vote!

x2boys Thu 23-Jun-16 11:04:12

Wheres the rain its boiling here in boltonconfused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now