Stop Moaning! You had your chance to change things and now you've Blown It.

(166 Posts)
iwuddarryl Wed 22-Jun-16 18:06:49

If Remain wins, for years to come, whenever something goes wrong, be it lack of housing, overcrowding, not enough school places, cuts in social benefits, lack of work, etc etc etc,
People will get told:

You had your chance, a once in a lifetime chance to change things and gain back control. So don't go complaining now that things have eventually gone tits up.

That's going to happen. Isn't it? hmm

you read it here first

shinynewusername Wed 22-Jun-16 18:08:31

Whereas schools, housing and social benefits are safe with Farage, Johnson & Gove?

Do me a favour.

Arfarfanarf Wed 22-Jun-16 18:10:54

It will be the same if leave wins and the country goes fully down the shitter.

It's the same after an election.

It was the same after the scottish referendum .

emotionsecho Wed 22-Jun-16 18:11:13

Certainly for a while it will, I think it happened in Scotland after the Independence Referendum.

Mind you it has always been the case that "The EU" is the most convenient/popular scapegoat.

MoreKopparbergthanKrug Wed 22-Jun-16 18:11:16

And the "this is not what I voted for" which is all I ever hear from my parents' generation in relation to the EU (voted in 1975 that is).

Fwiw I think remain will win. The polls are too close atm for leave to win when you take into account the sudden swerve towards the status quo that people will feel once the pencil in in their hands. Not that the status quo is actually one of the options we're being given.

branofthemist Wed 22-Jun-16 18:11:40

It happens after every vote or election.

SweetieDrops Wed 22-Jun-16 18:11:42

YANBU if it goes the same way as the Scottish referendum. Almost 2 years on and neither side will shut up about what could have happened if it had been a vote for independence, whether it's coming from the SNP=land of milk and honey, look what we could have had or the SNP=devil incarnate, we would all be screwed with the oil price crash side.

iwuddarryl Wed 22-Jun-16 18:12:00

and things would be so much better with jeremy c
I can't imagine him running a country. Silly ole scruffbag can't even dress himself properly.

iwuddarryl Wed 22-Jun-16 18:14:16

That was in reply to the second post.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 22-Jun-16 18:15:51

People will say that whatever way it goes

notamummy10 Wed 22-Jun-16 18:18:19

I hope the outcome is remain!! However, even if the result on Friday is leave there is no guarantee we'll be leaving the EU anyway as tomorrow's referendum is purely for public opinion purposes and the outcome will then go into parliament for a debate as it's Parliament who will make a decision!

ShowOfHands Wed 22-Jun-16 18:25:16

By refusing to lead and make a decision, by offering a vote winning referendum, Dave has ensured we blame each other and carry on bickering and blaming each other regardless of outcome.

iwuddarryl Wed 22-Jun-16 18:35:23

notamummy, I agree.
Even if the result is leave, there's no guarantee it'll go ahead.
The PM has been two-faced thoughout the whole thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had to go through all sorts of hoops before we actually did leave.
We don't really have any power to change anything.
They're just throwing us a few scraps to keep us happy.

MoreKopparbergthanKrug Wed 22-Jun-16 19:37:55

It's a shame if the vote is remain - I'd love to see what concessions that were apparently impossible got miraculously pulled out the cupboard on Friday; but then we'd have another referendum this year and I'm not sure I would want to go through this again!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 22-Jun-16 19:42:56

If remain win then everyone will blame the upcoming global recession on that, and will start voting UKIP, who will gain many seats in the 2020 election.

Not to mention whatever delights the EU have in store for us which we won't want and can't veto.

iwuddarryl Wed 22-Jun-16 19:48:59

It will be fascinating to see what would happen if we did leave.
Will it start a domino effect? hmm

The rest of Europe is watching closely. Especially France.
I have friends in Germany, and from what they tell me, contrary to popular belief, not everybody in Germany is on Team Merkel.
There are some majorly pissed off people in Germany.

There are a few other countries who I imagine also aren't happy at having signed up to a system which is paying (and carrying the bulk of the load ) a lot of poorer countries that have recently joined the EU.

Because that's the reality.
Some of the Eastern European countries aren't and will never be able to contribute as much as the other members.
It's was always going to be an unfair system in that respect.

People couldn't see it in the beginning. But now it's got bigger the flaws are showing.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 22-Jun-16 19:58:09

Yes it will happen in suppose if we do make the wrong decision.
People will say "Told you so. It's only natural.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Thu 23-Jun-16 05:53:45

Can I point out that Johnson, Gove, and Farage will be no more in charge after a leave vote than they are now. Should be obvious, but people keep talking as though they'll be governing us if we vote out.

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Thu 23-Jun-16 07:01:24

iwuddarryl I live in Germany. Self evidently not everyone supports Merkle - there is no democratic country on earth where the government have universal support, and that is healthy and as it should be.

However last night the English as a Foreign Language class I teach were discussing the Brexit - the prevailing opinion is that it is insanity and that only misguided nationalists who want to inaccurately scapegoat foreigners for all the problems of the modern world would vote leave. They were quick to point out there are plenty misguided nationalists in every country, including Germany.

TreaterAnita Thu 23-Jun-16 07:08:03

Can I point out that Johnson, Gove, and Farage will be no more in charge after a leave vote than they are now. Should be obvious, but people keep talking as though they'll be governing us if we vote out.

Well Farage won't be but it doesn't take Columbo to work out that this is Johnson's play for the leadership of the Tory party, and there's a reasonable chance that he will be successful.

IdaDown Thu 23-Jun-16 07:15:32

Schwab - who are you teaching? Are you teaching people for whom German is their first language?

BungoWomble Thu 23-Jun-16 07:15:38

"By refusing to lead and make a decision, by offering a vote winning referendum, Dave has ensured we blame each other and carry on bickering and blaming each other regardless of outcome."

Nail. Head. The only way this shower has been able to get what they want is by playing every divisive tactic in the book and making us all run around blaming each other. Whatever happens we all need to pull together and start trying to sort this mess out!

bacimamma Thu 23-Jun-16 07:21:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 23-Jun-16 07:22:59

Whenever Ive heard Gove, Johnson or Farage speak, my overwhelming impression has always been 'gosh, there's a man who wishes he could spend more money on schools, hospitals and affordable housing'!

grannyinwaiting Thu 23-Jun-16 07:23:42

Because expensive clothes mean honesty and integrity 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now