AIBU to want to speak to instructor about DD (7) being pushed into pool during lesson?

(11 Posts)
iProcrastinate Wed 22-Jun-16 15:05:23

Ugh, I really don't know if I'm overreacting or not!

DD is 7 and has recently moved to the 'deep end' of the pool for lessons. There is a child in her group who is quite disruptive (jumps queue when waiting their turn, dives in and out of pool during others turns, messes about during their turn while everyone else stands waiting) - the instructor turns a blind eye to this.

The other day, during DD's lesson, DD was next to swim her length, the instructor had given the instruction to wait for his signal, then dive in and swim length etc. This child is behind DD in the queue and is pressing DD to get into the water (before she has been told to) and is shaking her by the shoulder/poking her/talking to her. DD is a stubborn little thing and is refusing as she hasn't been told to yet (DD is a stickler for rules.....) this child then waits until the instructor isn't looking and shoves DD into the pool, and dives in too, practically on top of her.

DD is quite confident in the water and wasn't phased - was more worried instructor would tell her off. He didn't. Where the parents sit is too far away for me to say anything without yelling at the top of my voice. I let it slide at the time but now I'm thinking back it could have not gone as well! There are kids in DD's class who aren't ready to jump in willingly yet - the pool is 3metres deep.

AIBU in thinking I kinda want to speak to her instructor about this? Not to grass up this child but just to maybe make him aware?

PPie10 Wed 22-Jun-16 15:08:16

Yanbu, horrible child should be dealt with. And you should tell the parents too. Don't worry about grassing that child, more important for others to be safe.

Sleeperandthespindle Wed 22-Jun-16 15:08:39

Of course you should speak to them Nothing should be happening in a swimming lesson that the instructor is not aware of. Are there lifeguards as well?

Mimicat44 Wed 22-Jun-16 15:09:42

I would make him aware as it's a potential safety concern, and it doesn't sound as though he's taking safety as seriously as he should (from what you've said he sounds quite laid back) considering he's responsible for a number of children and deep water.

Willow2016 Wed 22-Jun-16 15:20:19

Doesnt sound like he is very safety conscious at all I would be having a word asap. If the other child had landed on your child it could have been serious.
If she cant behave then she should be either better supervised (if she has genuine problems) or sitting at the side waiting her turn.

Are there other instructors/life guards there?

Mishaps Wed 22-Jun-16 15:29:45

He should be on top of every single thing that is happening during a swimming lesson. That would worry me.

My DD had an instructor who thought it was a good idea to splash water in my DD's face as she swam towards him in her arm bands - "to get her used to the water." He got a flea in the ear from me - not only was it a stupid thing to do, but my DD has very poor eyesight and did not have her glasses on - swimming pools are very confusing places without your glasses and she did not see this coming. Silly man.

whois Wed 22-Jun-16 15:43:02

I would defo say something - he needs to be on top of the kids behaviour.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 22-Jun-16 15:47:31

Yes, say something - if he's not noticing, then he needs to have it brought to his attention; and if he's deliberately ignoring it, then it needs to be brought to someone else's attention.

iProcrastinate Wed 22-Jun-16 15:47:36

Thanks everyone, I'll send an email to the leisure centre and ask if I can have a word with the instructor. There are lifeguards there, and other instructors, I think DD's instructor is aware of what is happening re. messing around but I think he is just ignoring it. By 'it' I mean the behaviour, not the child!

I'm not sure who amonst the parents is the child's parent. No-one said anything or reacted to the behaviour, tbh if DD was misbehaving in her lesson I would have no problem yelling down to her lol but I couldn't yell at another persons child! I don't know if there are SN involved.

RaeSkywalker Wed 22-Jun-16 15:49:29

Yes, definitely say something. It'll cause th instructor more problems if this child causes an injury to another, or scares a child whose parents won't be as reasonable as you.

jellybeans Wed 22-Jun-16 16:50:07

This is happening to my son too and I am going to speak to the instructer about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now