Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wish my family didn't eat so many bananas?

(38 Posts)
ShtoppenDerFloppen Wed 22-Jun-16 14:18:31

And instead left them to go "bad" too soft for the complainers so that I could make banana bread all the time?

For some reason, the bananas in the fruit bowl were neglected this week, so now that the family has gone to their regular daily activities, I am happily making up a batch of banana bread.

As I have been warned in another thread that there are antisocial individuals out there who would seek to ruin a good loaf by cutting it like a savage, I shall also slice the cake before the family gets home and mangles it beyond all recognition.

EatShitDerek Wed 22-Jun-16 14:19:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grumpysquash Wed 22-Jun-16 14:21:01

I have a half brown bunch ~6 bananas. What is a good recipe for banana bread?

Pinkheart5915 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:25:30

Ah banana bread, one of my favourites. I normally put a couple out the way the DH and baby ds can eat what's in the bowl.
YY to pre slicing I always do this making some larger for myself to eat.

grumpy I use the bbc recipe www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2249656/brilliant-banana-loaf

Stratter5 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:35:30

I just cut the overripe ones up into pennies and freeze them. Lots you can do with bananas. Takes ages to get enough together, I eat at least 3-4 a day.

Oysterbabe Wed 22-Jun-16 14:40:22

smile

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Wed 22-Jun-16 14:42:15

This is the best banana bread recipe ever, actually it's more like a cake but that's not a problem

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/black_banana_cake_52982

ClockBusCanada Wed 22-Jun-16 14:44:03

When I worked in food retail, bananas were the highest selling item per unit, nationally. I think most of them are on the side going brown instead of being eaten.

Pythonesque Wed 22-Jun-16 14:49:18

Sometimes you might get lucky and find some reduced in the supermarket that are all ready to go for cooking ...

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-Jun-16 14:50:41

You can have the 47 million in my freezer. Soon my freezer will be all saved bananas.

JamieVardysParty Wed 22-Jun-16 14:52:47

DH and I don't really like bananas but love protein banana bread. They are only ever bought for banana bread in our house.

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Wed 22-Jun-16 14:53:04

I make muffins with mine - solves the clumsy cutting problem.

BreconBeBuggered Wed 22-Jun-16 14:53:24

I'm not sure. I don't mind mine scoffing bananas. If anything, they prefer them on the green side. If I get enough of a glut to convert the riper ones into banana bread, it's gone before it's even cool. Bastards.

DeepfriedPizza Wed 22-Jun-16 14:54:27

We go through up to 30 bananas a week. They don't have time to go brown in my house and DH makes the most amazing banana bread!

ExitPursuedByBear Wed 22-Jun-16 14:55:30

I freeze and use for DD's Smoothies.

I am always making banana loaf as well.

With coconut. And chocolate bits.

FledglingFridge Wed 22-Jun-16 15:06:33

We go through loads too. DH has one or two in his lunch, DS eats them as snacks and DD is partial. I hate them. Yellow lengths of wrongness.

MrsEricBana Wed 22-Jun-16 15:13:18

My greengrocer sells overripe bananas especially for this purpose!

NarcyCow Wed 22-Jun-16 15:24:18

You can have ours if you want. DH buys them every week for DS, who used to love them. DS doesn't eat them any more, and hasn't for months, so I just throw them out every week (the rest of us can't stand either bananas or banana bread).

LordoftheTits Wed 22-Jun-16 15:26:25

I love a speckly banana, I can't stand them yellow and crunchy. They don't taste of banana until they're just about to go grin

My favourite banana bread recipe is Mary Berry's, it hasn't failed me yet!

grumpysquash Wed 22-Jun-16 15:28:40

Thanks for the recipes - will try smile

KC225 Wed 22-Jun-16 15:29:46

Deepfried. 30 bananas a week. Does your DH walk on the back of his knuckles?

Here in Sweden, local supermarket has a bowl of loose bananas with a few brown spots that the kids can help themselves to. All well and good till the kids fired me in to the cashier

incywinci Wed 22-Jun-16 15:36:30

I bake my bananas to make them ripe grin

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 22-Jun-16 15:40:33

Raw bananas would be better for everybody if they were just eaten, not made into cakes 'all the time', OP! How often is 'all the time' in your house? shock

<not really serious>

Hastalapasta Wed 22-Jun-16 15:42:37

My DD was eating 3-4 bananas a day, no sign of knuckle walking yet but has mysteriously stopped. So yesterday was my first chance to make banana muffins in ages! Thanks for the inspiration, will be banana bread tomorrow...

Mamia15 Wed 22-Jun-16 15:45:30

I could have written the Op's post - including how banana bread here always ends up looking mangled hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now