To leave 4.5yo watching tv

(25 Posts)
TheLionSleepsAha Wed 22-Jun-16 08:53:11

On days when my 4.5yo is not at nursery I let her watch tv downstairs whilst I put 6mo in her cot for a nap upstairs. Often putting baby down involves a feed and cuddle, so sometimes I'm gone for ten minutes. I leave the bedroom and living room doors open, so I can hear if 4 yo calls. She's a sensible girl, she knows to come to me if she needs something.

I wondered whether aibu to do this though? What age can children be safely left in a different room to play/watch tv by themselves?

LouBlue1507 Wed 22-Jun-16 08:54:19

Is this real? 😫

AppleSetsSail Wed 22-Jun-16 08:55:54

I can't imagine how you could manage with a second baby without leaving number 1 alone. I had a sensible 3y3m old when I had number 2 and I left him in the care of the TV often to deal with the baby.

megletthesecond Wed 22-Jun-16 08:57:25

Seriously, It's fine. And I did it from a younger age.

viviennewestood Wed 22-Jun-16 08:57:43

I've just left my 2 year old watching tv in the living room while I cook her breakfast and put the recycling out. Of course yanbu.

crystalgall Wed 22-Jun-16 08:59:12

Whaaaaat??

4.5? I've left my 4 year old to play while I had a nap!

TheLionSleepsAha Wed 22-Jun-16 09:00:00

Oops sorry ok I'm crazy! I thought I was doing something bad!

SavoyCabbage Wed 22-Jun-16 09:00:29

Four and a half year olds can be left in a room in their own homes. My four year old used to play for about two hours at a time on her own in her bedroom.

TheLionSleepsAha Wed 22-Jun-16 09:00:43

Phew now no guilt, thanks!

WutheringFrights Wed 22-Jun-16 09:01:24

If I put my 4yo in front of the tv I could safely do a round the world trip and when I got back she wouldn't have moved.
I think 10 minutes should be okay....

Hagothehills Wed 22-Jun-16 09:02:35

I leave my 2.5 yo on a daily basis to get a shower. He knows where I am if he needs anything. I change his bum and give him.a snack and a drink first, put his favourite program on (paw patrol, so I don't have to endure it but he still gets to see it). Nine times out of ten he hasn't moved by the time I get out of the shower. If he has he's just playing with a few of his toys in the living room. So no, YANB at all U smile

joellevandyne Wed 22-Jun-16 09:03:24

I used to do this with my very chilled two-year-old for up to half an hour when his nap-resistant sister was battling sleep! Stay upstairs and have 20 mins to yourself while you're at it!

Diddlydokey Wed 22-Jun-16 09:04:56

My four year old used to play for about two hours at a time on her own in her bedroom.

Sooo jealous, can she have a word with mine? He just wants to sit on my knee and talk at me. All. the. time.

OP - it is fine. I'm impressed your 6 month old goes to sleep that easily!

HostaFireandIce Wed 22-Jun-16 09:07:46

Not unreasonable at all, but be warned. I left my son watching the TV when he was 3 and I went to have a quick bath (it's a flat and the bathroom is not far from the lounge, so we could shout to each other). While he was in there, the doorbell rang and I ignored it. Next thing I know, he has let them into the flat and is explaining that Mummy is in the bath but it was fine, they could go into the bathroom and check the water...

HostaFireandIce Wed 22-Jun-16 09:09:27

Sooo jealous, can she have a word with mine? He just wants to sit on my knee and talk at me. All. the. time.

And yes, mine too. We actually have to bribe him to play in his room by himself. He can manage about 15 minutes now.

ohtheholidays Wed 22-Jun-16 09:35:05

Your doing nothing wrong what so ever OP,it sounds like your doing a great job smile

LouSavage Wed 22-Jun-16 09:39:06

It's fine, my son is nearly 4 and watches some Paw Patrol while I'm settling his sister for nap times. Doors open so he can shout me if he needs me. He'll sometimes come and sit with me or play in his room next door but otherwise he's absolutely fine watching a bit of tv and sees it as a treat while I'm tackling nap time! Drop the guilt.

wooflesgoestotown Wed 22-Jun-16 09:44:12

Diddlydokey - ha ha my eldest was exactly that child - exhausting! I was so envious of friends with children who actually played by themselves.
Now no 4 is looking like he's going the same way:-(!!

Notbigandnotclever Wed 22-Jun-16 09:45:10

I've done this from younger. I have 3 there is no choice as I do not have 3 sets of hands.

SavoyCabbage Wed 22-Jun-16 17:06:38

It was the power of her farm Diddly. She would have games going on for weeks. She's nine now and she doesn't know her days of the weeks if that makes you feel any better!grin

arethereanyleftatall Wed 22-Jun-16 17:12:02

are you saying that you would otherwise be in the same room as a 4.5 year old at all times? That's unusual to say the least. Let her play on her own, it's good for her.

minipie Wed 22-Jun-16 17:24:11

Er YANBU as others have said

Hosta oh god, I can see DD doing that. I'll remember to put the double lock on if I leave her downstairs!

imwithspud Wed 22-Jun-16 17:49:58

Nothing wrong with that at all.

I did the same with my now 3.5 year old when her sister was younger. I usually gave her her tablet to play on which kept her entertained whilst I was upstairs.

Now dd2 is older it's not a problem as I can just pop her in her cot and she'll settle off by herself, but I did feel guilty at times, especially if it took a while.

As long as the room they're in is safe and there are things to keep them occupied then it's fine. It's kind of impossible to avoid when you have more than one child.

whois Wed 22-Jun-16 18:12:41

OMG this is so terrible, I can't believe you leave your four and a half year old NT child ALONE for ten whole minutes!!!! The sky will fall in I tell ye.

RebelRogue Wed 22-Jun-16 18:33:05

YABVVVVU you should provide him with a snack as well and go ahead and have a nap grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now