Talk

Advanced search

AIBU teachers' collection

(25 Posts)
Joolsy Wed 22-Jun-16 08:06:01

It's been suggested we all (parents) donate £10 to be split between teacher & 2 x TA's. That would be an average of £100 each. AIBU to think this is excessive? I don't want to be the only one not donating but I feel quite strongly about this - surely a nice bouquet of flowers costing £30 each would be fine?

CurbsideProphet Wed 22-Jun-16 08:09:09

I'm a TA and would not even be sure if I could keep the £100 (school policy on gifts etc). Flowers would be an unnecessary but lovely gesture.

CombineBananaFister Wed 22-Jun-16 08:09:37

And the teacher collection emails/dictatorship begins early this year grin

Yes its a lot, dont put in if you dont want to, set a precedent so they dont bother you in future years. Start as you mean to go on

DietTissues Wed 22-Jun-16 08:10:55

What I would ask myself is would you have got them a gift yourself and how much would you have paid?

If the answer is yes then I would just put in.

If the answer is no, then ask yourself if being the 'one awkward one' is worth it for the sake of £10

Honeyandfizz Wed 22-Jun-16 08:11:21

It's really no big deal to just say a simple no.

LouBlue1507 Wed 22-Jun-16 08:14:32

YANBU! I don't get the need for people to buy gifts for teachers?
They're paid to do a job (yes a difficult one) but I don't see why someone should be rewarded for doing their job! I don't buy a present for my doctor, dentist, shopkeeper etc!
If a particular teacher had gone above and beyond for my child throughout the year then maybe I would give a little box of chocs.. But £5/10 pounds? No!

Here's a £100 gift for managing to do the job you're paid to do? No thanks ✋🏻!

Btw my partner is a teacher and I'm aiming to become one soon!

MinnowAndTheBear Wed 22-Jun-16 08:16:42

I guess this is about buying them decent presents, rather than lots of little ones. And not about saving the parents money.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 22-Jun-16 08:17:28

Well if you were planning to buy something yourself for each of them you would probably spend more than 10 pounds in total so seem a reasonable sum.
However, if you were not planning on a gift or don't wish to contribute then it's fine not too.
IME thank you cards made by the pupil are appreciated.

acasualobserver Wed 22-Jun-16 08:19:14

I agree, excessive and totally unnecessary. £1 per pupil would be much nearer the mark. I think most teachers will tell you that they are always really pleased to receive a card/ message - especially a homemade one.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 22-Jun-16 08:23:01

I don't think it's about teachers being rewarded for doing a job - it's about appreciation. Outside of the family unit your child's teacher is probably the most influential adult in your child's life and it is not unreasonable to want to recognise that role.
But it is up to the individual and I don't think anyone should feel pressured into getting a gift or contributing to a group gift.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 22-Jun-16 08:24:21

I have been a parent reader for over 7 years and love the homemade cards with group photos.

jellyfrizz Wed 22-Jun-16 08:27:04

I think it's wrong to pressurize anyone into contributing but I love it when people organize collections. Saves me time and money.

KC225 Wed 22-Jun-16 08:27:55

This happened when we were at school in the UK. I much preferred it, small gifts can add up to more. We gave Teacher, TA and PGCE student John Lewis vouchers which I thought was much better than twenty candles or boxes or Rose's.

Here in rural Sweden, flowers are the done thing. Poor teachers are groaning under the weight and it works out at much more than a tenner I used to chuck in.

Agree with the others though, it is suggested amount and not a fee. Don't if don't want to.

WalrusGumboot Wed 22-Jun-16 08:29:04

Half that would be ample I would have thought.

Only1scoop Wed 22-Jun-16 08:30:52

I think it's awful to ask for cash from parents unless it's for a specific ....ie flowers etc.

Just say you already have a small gift for them and don't donate.

BlueUggs Wed 22-Jun-16 08:30:59

I am buying my son's head teacher, teacher and TA a small tube of naice hand cream and a lip balm and each present has cost me £18 in the sale. They have been extremely supportive and worked really hard to help my son with his emotions and his attention span at school. They all adore him and have really nurtured him and I feel they deserve a small gift each. This is the first time I have done this and would not always do it but he is also leaving the school.

BlueUggs Wed 22-Jun-16 08:32:10

Just to clarify, he's leaving because he's in the top year of the school and can't stay on such a shame.

Muddlingalongalone Wed 22-Jun-16 08:38:27

This is my first year & I think it's great.
I would spend more than £10 anyway, the letter from group of organisers clearly says it's not compulsory & the staff get a decent lump sum of shopping vouchers rather than 10 boxes of chocs 8 best teacher mugs & 5 bunches of flowers.
They are going to do giant stickers for children to decorate/write their name on to put into a card & as a full time working single parent anything that makes my life easier is a bonus

DullUserName Wed 22-Jun-16 08:38:40

I'm a primary teacher... currently signed off due to stress-related illness.

We love the handmade cards. We love the personal notes. We keep them (yep, every single one).

Flowers are lovely but they need vases then die. Chocs are lovely but there's a limit to how many we can truly enjoy. Vouchers are useful... and often get spent on school stuff.

Please, no more mugs or soddin scented candles!

DullUserName Wed 22-Jun-16 08:42:04

pressed post too soon

It really is the notes that are loved. No teacher ever expects a gift. Please don't spend your money, especially when times are tough, on collections. Write the note. Tell the Head. That will be appreciated far more.

Joolsy Wed 22-Jun-16 09:32:36

The thing is, I wouldn't spend that much if I was buying individual gifts. The TA's only work 5 mornings between them. We usually make the teacher some cookies/muffins and give each a card. Total - about £3! And I'm not stingy. I work in education and rarely get a gift but wouldn't expect it. Also DD's teacher is in her 50s and I'm sure she would not want so much spent on her.

AliceInUnderpants Wed 22-Jun-16 09:35:18

And the teacher collection emails/dictatorship begins early this year grin

You do realise life exists outwith your own local bubble?
Our school finishes next Friday.

pudcat Wed 22-Jun-16 09:44:16

£10 on a present barmy. £18 on a present. Even barmier. Teachers do not expect it. A thank you card is all that is needed.

Willow2016 Wed 22-Jun-16 09:53:08

We get teachers and TA something at Xmas, small gift like last year we got personalised hand made tree decorations, they were lovely and about £3 each, other years been mini wine and choccies and a bath bomb or something similar, home made fudge/cupcake in a jar etc.

Normally dont give at end of term (apart from when eldest left primary) But this term the TA is retiring after a gazillion years there. She has seen my eldest through primary and my youngest is now moving up to p7 so have given £10 to the collection. Dont grudge it for 14years of looking out for my kids (eldest had social/ behaviour issues, was bullied because of this and had emotional issues and both have had lots of 1:1 extra help from her) All the kids love her, she also does out of school activities for the kids in her own time. I think credit where credit is due.

MinnowAndTheBear Wed 22-Jun-16 09:54:11

If that's more than you would normally spend then absolutely don't feel pressured to contribute. This sort of thing only really works if it's the equivalent to what you would normally spend, or a saving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now