EU referendum question (sorry!)

(49 Posts)
corgiology Tue 21-Jun-16 22:47:18

If we vote to stay why can't we hold another referendum in the future where we might leave?

It comes across as now or never and I don't understand why.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Hodooooooooor Tue 21-Jun-16 22:56:18

Well yes there could always be another one, but who knows? Why would there be? The idea of a referendum is you ask the people what they want and then do that. Vote for your choice now, what may or mat not happen years down the line is immaterial to that question.

purits Tue 21-Jun-16 22:58:41

It's been 40-odd years since the last referendum. Why do you think the next one would be any sooner?

annandale Tue 21-Jun-16 22:59:00

yes it's possible but I really, really, really hope not.

the damage that David Cameron has done to our relationships with the other members of the EU over the past 6 years has been straightforwardly appalling. The referendum is just the peak of the wave.

Heratnumber7 Tue 21-Jun-16 23:02:23

There is no reason why we couldn't decide (say) out, hold another referendum and vote to go back in, other than cost and logistics and having to swallow a v large piece of humble pie.

Don't believe what Bremain tell you.

Audeca Tue 21-Jun-16 23:05:25

If we vote to stay then there can be another referendum to leave in the future (this is the second referendum on if the UK should stay in the EU, the last being in 1975).

If we vote to leave then it's a one way street. We don't get to have a referendum to join again.

Hodooooooooor Tue 21-Jun-16 23:05:53

It's been 40-odd years since the last referendum

No it hasn't. There have been 11 in the last 40 years, 7 of them in the last ten years. hmm

Hodooooooooor Tue 21-Jun-16 23:07:13

There is no reason why we couldn't decide (say) out, hold another referendum and vote to go back in, other than cost and logistics

There is a huge reason. Who's to say you'd be allowed back in? We don't stamp your hand for re-entry you know, if you flounce you might not be welcome in the future.

GhostofFrankGrimes Tue 21-Jun-16 23:08:22

the damage that David Cameron has done to our relationships with the other members of the EU over the past 6 years has been straightforwardly appalling. The referendum is just the peak of the wave.

Agreed. This has been a massive blunder by DC and I hope he pays with his political career.

Salmotrutta Tue 21-Jun-16 23:11:20

Heratnumber7 - you think if we vote "OUT" then don't like it after a while that we can just get back in?

Really?

I think not...

ThePinkOcelot Tue 21-Jun-16 23:11:36

Has there Hodooooooor? 7 referendums in the last 10 years to leave the EU?

Audeca Tue 21-Jun-16 23:11:49

@ Hodooooooooor

According to Wikipedia there have been twelve referendas since 1973, only three have covered the entirety of the UK: The 1975 Europe referendum, the AV referendum in 2011 and the current shit storm.

littledrummergirl Tue 21-Jun-16 23:12:58

It's been 40-odd years since the last referendum

No it hasn't. There have been 11 in the last 40 years, 7 of them in the last ten years. hmm

I must have missed something. I've been on the electoral role for 22 yes and have voted everytime there has been something to vote on.

I've never voted in an EU referendum before. hmm

purits Tue 21-Jun-16 23:13:32

There have been 11 in the last 40 years, 7 of them in the last ten years.

hmm Sorry shall I rephrase for the pedants.
It's been 40-odd years since the last EU referendum.

Heratnumber7 Tue 21-Jun-16 23:14:12

Why not Sal?

I'm not saying it would be easy, but I think the rest of the EU are desperate for us not to leave.

wannabetennisplayer Tue 21-Jun-16 23:22:09

There is no reason why we couldn't decide (say) out, hold another referendum and vote to go back in, other than cost and logistics and having to swallow a v large piece of humble pie.

Every member state would have to vote in favour of allowing the UK back in - and it wouldn't be on the same terms with all the negotiated exemptions, rebate etc that the UK has at the moment.

If the UK leaves the EU, then goes crawling back to them in a few years time, saying 'we were wrong, everything's going badly, please take us back' - the UK would not be a strong negotiating position and, even if all member states agreed to take it back, it would be on much worse terms.

Hodooooooooor Tue 21-Jun-16 23:24:29

If you meant since the last EU referendum you should say so. It's that kind of sloppiness that hallmarks this debate.

Heratnumber7 Tue 21-Jun-16 23:24:56

Agree wanna. But we could still go back.

Not that I'd want to. I'm up for the awfully big adventure that is leaving.

Hodooooooooor Tue 21-Jun-16 23:25:09

I'm not saying it would be easy, but I think the rest of the EU are desperate for us not to leave

hahaha...no. Why on earth would you think that?

purits Tue 21-Jun-16 23:27:31

If the UK leaves the EU, then goes crawling back to them in a few years time, saying 'we were wrong, everything's going badly, please take us back' - the UK would not be a strong negotiating position and, even if all member states agreed to take it back, it would be on much worse terms.

And if the UK leaves and it all goes well whilst the rump of the EU implodes ...?
You almost feel that Remain want us to fail.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 21-Jun-16 23:28:46

The hash that has been made of this referendum means it would be a cold day in hell before another govt decides to hold another EU referendum.
If we vote out, leave and then decide we want back in then the EU would have us begging on our knees before they said yes.
So don't count on getting a second bite at the cherry.

scaryteacher Tue 21-Jun-16 23:29:04

Money obviously.

Hodooooooooor Tue 21-Jun-16 23:29:54

You almost feel that Remain want us to fail

No ,they want you to Remain, not leave and fail. Keep up.

GhostofFrankGrimes Tue 21-Jun-16 23:30:58

You almost feel that Remain want us to fail.

No. Patriotism won't pay the mortgage.

Salmotrutta Tue 21-Jun-16 23:31:11

Exactly what wannabetennisplayer said.

The terms they took us back on would be crap.

And I seriously doubt they are all "desperate" for us to stay and maybe several countries would possibly be delighted to see the back of us - and vote NO if we wanted to come back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now