Talk

Advanced search

To want a count on the number of times the Leave side have said 'take back control' on the question time debate

(45 Posts)
Bearbehind Tue 21-Jun-16 21:08:02

Is it just me or is the number of times Boris et al keep on saying 'take back control' driving everyone insane?

It's like some weird attempt at brainwashing with the added advantage they don't have to give actual answers to the questions raised.

whirlygirly Tue 21-Jun-16 21:08:55

Yes! It's like take back control bingo! grin

GraceGrape Tue 21-Jun-16 21:11:13

I turned it over after I heard "take back control" twice in the first 30 seconds I heard.

Egosumquisum Tue 21-Jun-16 21:11:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 21-Jun-16 21:13:04

Yes, it's their set phrase. It plays on people's fears and their need to feel like they have some influence and power.

FlowerOfTheWest Tue 21-Jun-16 21:13:07

That and "Australian style points system". Drink!

TulipsInAJug Tue 21-Jun-16 21:15:11

Remain panel are very weak - they're supposed to be talking about democracy and sovereignty now but all Sadiq can talk about is the economy and 'we will still feel British' confused

soundsystem Tue 21-Jun-16 21:16:16

Haha yeah we considered a drinking game but we'd be smashed by now!

TulipsInAJug Tue 21-Jun-16 21:16:31

Wow, Ruth Davidson is not convincing that crowd.

LucilleBluth Tue 21-Jun-16 21:16:35

I'm firmly remain but I would love to shag Boris, just one dirty weekend! I can't help it.

soundsystem Tue 21-Jun-16 21:18:05

Tulips I don't know, when she said "there are mothers and grandfathers on this side as well", that went down well!

Salmotrutta Tue 21-Jun-16 22:04:26

Totally disagree with you regarding Ruth Davidson - I'm farther from a fan of any Tory but I thought she was great.

I was totally underwhelmed by the Leave panel TBH.

Salmotrutta Tue 21-Jun-16 22:04:56

far from a fan of any Tory.

grannytomine Tue 21-Jun-16 22:06:44

Did you notice that Gisela Stuart was a mother and grandmother?

ElizabethLemon Tue 21-Jun-16 22:07:53

It's like brainwashing.

Don't forget they're mothers and grandmothers too!

ElizabethLemon Tue 21-Jun-16 22:08:11

X post granny 😝

MerchantofVenice Tue 21-Jun-16 22:10:03

Tulips I think most people, whatever their politics, must agree that Ruth Davidson was awesome tonight.

chocshortbread Tue 21-Jun-16 22:10:48

YANBU it's interesting isn't it. Obviously it's not us the people who would get 'control' it is the politicians who want more 'control' - basically a few politicians crazy for more power than they already have and fewer checks on it. But sell it to the plebs like we're going to get something...

milkingmachine1 Tue 21-Jun-16 22:10:55

I thought the leave side were awful! But I think in these 'debates' you hear what you want to hear.

grannytomine Tue 21-Jun-16 23:01:49

ElizabethLemon, we can't say it too often, I mean I am a mother and grandmother so I think it is important to get the message across. Just remember Gisela Stuart is a mother and grandmother.

GhostofFrankGrimes Tue 21-Jun-16 23:11:54

The soundbites are lazy politics. Anti-intellectualism. The whole debate set up and the empty rhetoric had a very American feel about it. Depressing.

FlyingElbows Tue 21-Jun-16 23:17:37

Well, as a mother, I don't necessarily agree with Ruth Davidson on a political level but she gives it her all and I admire her for that. If only she was a mother...

SanityClause Tue 21-Jun-16 23:19:54

I'm so cross that the whole campaign - particularly the Remainers, really - have not used this as an opportunity to educate people about Europe.

I received a leaflet from the Leavers, which clearly stated that the European court of human rights caused problems for our country's security. (Their opinion, not mine.)

The European court of human rights is not even an EU organisation. We are signed up to it seperately.

Why are the Remainers not making this sort of thing clear?

Grrrr!

purits Tue 21-Jun-16 23:23:57

I didn't rate Ruth Davidson. She just seemed angry all the time.

Bearbehind Wed 22-Jun-16 07:20:31

Boris is at it again on Breakfast tv.

If I were a Leave voter id be seriously questioning myself if the best my side could do was repeatedly say 'take back control' to every single question.

I think a vote of this magnitude is worthy of more than a stock catchphrase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now