Talk

Advanced search

In thinking it's not a race? Car/booster seats

(6 Posts)
iProcrastinate Tue 21-Jun-16 18:15:46

I'm totally prepared to be put right here as I can only go on my own experience!

DD is 7, and is over 10cms too short to go without a booster seat - we don't have a car but she rides in a high-backed booster which her car seat modified into, we have a Boostapak with a shoulder strap clip which she uses in friends cars/for lifts etc when the high-back doesn't fit - on a booster on its own she is a little short for the seatbelt to sit over her shoulder.

Most of her friends sit just on booster cushions, including those who are much younger, a lot of mums seem to chuck the high-backed booster in favour of a cushion as soon as their child hits the minimum height/weight, a couple (who's DC's are the same age/height/weight as DD) have got rid of boosters completely, and are bemused and roll eyes at me when I pop her seat in the car. One even encouraged their DC to call my DD a 'baby' for still using a 'baby' seat. DD, for the record, couldn't care less - she likes her seat, it's comfy and she knows why children need seats/seat belts etc - on this occasion she quipped back "at least I won't die if we crash"....... (I kinda wanted to tell her off and kinda didn't lol)

All of DD's friends parents don't need to transfer their seats out of cars or store them out of cars, so that's not an inconvenience. Am I totally off the ball with this? I've always kept DD in a seat until she hits the maximum weight rather than the minimum - it's not hard to do - and worth it if she is safe, but moving up from car seats seems to have become the new 'walking, talking and potty trained' race from toddler-hood! Am I missing something? It's not a race, it's about safety!?!?!

Gizlotsmum Tue 21-Jun-16 18:20:06

My 8yr old was desperate to lose the high back booster, till I showed her a crash test dummy video showing with and without the back... She hasn't complained since. In reality she has no choice and will be in a high back for as long as possible

DiggersRest Tue 21-Jun-16 18:22:40

Just raise your dc and let others do what they want. I don't get the racing, nor do l get threads like this. Tom, Dick and Harry can do whatever they like.

Hackedabove Tue 21-Jun-16 18:31:15

I kept DS1 in his high back booster until he didn't fit any more, he was about 145cm which is the legal requirement in the USA.

wornoutboots Tue 21-Jun-16 18:31:58

my kids will be in their seats as long as they are safer to be in them.
I'd have to be some kind of idiot to not want them as safe as possible.

I know others think I'm odd for it but my rule is "no seat, no journey"

Basicbrown Tue 21-Jun-16 18:35:48

Yanbu. But it does irritate me the way that hbb don't fit all cars. It makes doing away with booster cushions entirely rather tricky imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now