Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

"Leaving Party" AIBU?

(5 Posts)
JLAM Tue 21-Jun-16 17:18:25

I live abroad, somewhere like Hong Kong, lots of ex-pats. Very transient, people leave all the time. I have a good network of pals and one is heading back to the UK for the summer. She will be gone for three months in total. There is an end of term show on at my kids school on Friday, it doesn't start til 6, and there is a potluck dinner afterwards. My youngest is performing and we are attending as a family. The friend that is going away for the summer wants me to join her at a club night on Friday as a farewell party thing. I work on Saturdays and tend to avoid going out on a Friday. Also, to get up to the club will take a little while and there are issues with parking, then trying to get home (most probably I'll end up being designated driver etc). I don't really want to go, but I explained once again that it's the end of term show and I have work the next day but if I feel up to it I will "endeavor to make it". She went mental, telling me I was a terrible friend, that I didn't care about her, that she had made many separate attempts at meeting up which I had excuses for every time (saw her for lunch last week and spent the day together the week before). I haven't responded to her sweary message and I have decided to not make contact before she leaves. Am I being unreasonable? Is she? I didn't think it was a big deal - just a really long holiday?!?

Kathysclown Tue 21-Jun-16 17:23:52

She's not leaving, she's just going away for the summer, like lots of us expats do. She sounds like hard work and pretty unreasonable to
Make such a big fuss...........

DoreenLethal Tue 21-Jun-16 19:32:22

Id probably respond 'Whatevs'. And let her get on with it.

JakeBallardswife Tue 21-Jun-16 19:38:29

Insist she accompanies you to the play and pot luck dinner! Nothing worse than a concert your child isn't taking part in! That'll put her off grin

Zarah123 Tue 21-Jun-16 21:59:49

YANBU. She doesn't sound very nice. Can't help thinking she was relying on you to be designated driver so she could get pissed. if yes, she is not a friend to blow up for that reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now