landladys husband letting himself in our flat.

(24 Posts)
ampersandand Tue 21-Jun-16 14:36:16

I've been waiting for a few maintenance issues to be resolved for a while now including a tree to be removed from out the back which had fell down and was in the way of my parking space.

This morning I was on the phone to get a quote for car insurance and had to double check the car reg plate so went out the back carrying ds1 to check. The landladys husband was out the back removing the tree so I gave him an acknowledging wave and carried on with my business, shutting the back door and finish off my phone call.

Dp is working from home today so I went into our bedroom to tell him what he was up to, I then walk back to the kitchen ready to go outside and greet the landladys husband properly and was a bit taken aback as he was standing in my kitchen!

We made some small talk about the handles that needed fixing and then he asked me if I could move my car so he could get the tree out of the way.

All very well but I'm pretty sure what he did was illegal?

I wasn't told he was coming round today, I had been told it would be sometime this week but usually they let me know the day or on the morning before just turning up and the fact he opened my back door and waltzed in uninvited was a bit off. I waved at him, I didn't beckon him in.

I know it's their house but still! Seemed a bit much.

Would I be unreasonable to make a complaint?

readytorage Tue 21-Jun-16 14:38:47

Ah he shouldn't have done that but I get the feeling that he's been round helping and he just hasn't thought properly about what he's doing. If he does it again tell him to knock

bibbitybobbityyhat Tue 21-Jun-16 14:41:05

Yanbu. He should have a. told you in advance that he was coming round to deal with the tree and b. rung the doorbell to be let in!

I don't know who you would make the complaint to, but I don't see what's wrong with sending him an email to say that you were surprised to see him standing in your kitchen and why did he not knock on the door? Ask him does he think it is ok to let himself into your flat?

By asking him direct questions, he will have to find answers and it might just bring home to him how unreasonable he has been.

jay55 Tue 21-Jun-16 14:44:46

Tell the landlady you appreciate him coming to move the tree but next time please can she ask in advance and that he has to knock before coming in.
Yes you are entitled to notice before works are done but a fallen tree Needs an emergency assessment.

jay55 Tue 21-Jun-16 14:47:53

But obviously unless it fell on the house he didn't need to come inside at all, especially without even an appointment.

Topseyt Tue 21-Jun-16 14:47:58

He should have knocked at the door if he wanted to speak to you. He shouldn't have just let himself in.

Barring an emergency, landlords and landladies are supposed to give a minimum of 24 hours written notice before entering the property. At least, it always was that in the past.

I am a landlady and I always do that as a minimum. I give longer if I can.

ampersandand Tue 21-Jun-16 14:48:38

Thanks, yes that's what makes it awkward because I appreciate they're fixing things and making improvements so I wasn't sure if I've over reacted.

I've asked for the tree to be removed for 4 months (that's another story), so they've had plenty of time to notify me of their arrival!

BluePitchFork Tue 21-Jun-16 14:58:43

I would send a text/email that you appreciate the quick action reg the tree but that you are not happy for ll to let themselves into your home without prior agreement in the future.

bootytoots Tue 21-Jun-16 15:03:43

To avoid any anger, email them and say you didn't want to sound ungrateful but if they could let you know when they turn up and knock/ring the doorbell you would be grateful as you/your husband was in the buff or something and it could have been very embarrassing. It is actually required for them to turn up with 24 hours notice and they need your permission for you to come in.

Lynnm63 Tue 21-Jun-16 15:04:34

Do you think he's taken the wave as a come in type wave, beckoning rather than acknowledging his presence? I've only rented once for a few months between house sale/purchase so I don't have much experience of landlords.

NewLife4Me Tue 21-Jun-16 15:06:10

4 months is dreadful, irrespective of him letting himself in.
yes, email them and tell them that by law they need to inform you of the date and time they will be arriving, 24 hours in advance.
They are not allowed into your home unless invited, emergency, or without prior warning as is the case with an inspection.

blindsider Tue 21-Jun-16 15:11:47

He probably thought as you had seen him and waved you were aware he was there and he was coming to find you?

RB68 Tue 21-Jun-16 15:15:03

For the tree removal I wouldn't worry about the notice - its in the parking area for goodness sake. 4 months - not really suprised - have you tried hiring tree surgeons at this time of year??? There is a waiting time and it may get put forward too dependent on weather etc. Anything inside the house they do need to give notice.

Coming in without knocking shouldn't have happened full stop end of. I would email or pop a note to Landlord and just say I appreciate he was working in the parking lot and I had seen him and waived but it is not appropriate to just walk into the flat without knocking, please can he knock in future or give appropriate notice in future of entry to the property (24hrs).

RobinsAreTerritorialFuckers Tue 21-Jun-16 15:15:57

I also think maybe he thought the wave was a 'come in' wave.

If it really bothers you, maybe next time say something like 'oh, knock on the door for me if want to come in, I'm just going to lock this as I've been worrying about security lately'.

Gide Tue 21-Jun-16 15:16:42

That's awful, I'd be very annoyed. Our landlady went looking for my car keys when we were away on holiday, went through drawers/phonebook to see if she could find someone to ring so she could move our car which was parked over the garage as directed. I was fuming, she saw nothing wrong with it. Bonkers. What he did was illegal, OP.

katie85whitehead Tue 21-Jun-16 15:18:12

They are suppose to give you 24 hours notice and if they know your in should knock before entering or been asked in

JacquesHammer Tue 21-Jun-16 15:30:29

I actually think this is a little different from the usual "landlord coming into my property" type posts.

He was there to do some maintenance - you had already waived so maybe he thought that was a "come find me when done".

He wasn't letting himself in to examine the property so in this instance I wouldn't be THAT bothered.

JacquesHammer Tue 21-Jun-16 15:30:55

Waived should or course be waved. DYAC

GarlicSteak Tue 21-Jun-16 15:32:28

He was in the wrong but I think it was probably lack of thought in the moment. You could send them a polite email reminding them to arrange a time and to knock/ring for entry. Get angry if he does it again.

BluePitchFork Tue 21-Jun-16 15:38:13

They are suppose to give you 24 hours notice and need your consent if they want to come into your home
they can't just say 'we are coming on x date wether you like it or not'

Oldraver Tue 21-Jun-16 16:05:52

Yes totally wrong of him to enter your house without knocking and being asked in.

The tree though....you should of sorted that yourself

SideOfFoot Tue 21-Jun-16 16:10:20

I think the fact that you had acknowledged him already was taken as a sign to just come in.

purplefox Tue 21-Jun-16 16:17:06

It may be their house but its your home and they are breaking the tenancy agreement.

eggpoacher Tue 21-Jun-16 17:27:09

I came home once to find all the carpets ripped up and the floorboards removed. Funnily enough, when I moved out shortly after, they never chased me up on my unpaid utility bills. These landlords think they can do whatever they like, the bastards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now