Talk

Advanced search

I haven't been to the dentist since I was 15!!!

(24 Posts)
YouAreMySweetestDownfall Tue 21-Jun-16 11:41:01

Now I'm 29 blush. Would I be unreasonable just to never go? My teeth don't hurt, they're a tiny bit stained but not badly. I've no fillings or anything.

I've ignored this issue for so long that I'd feel really embarrassed going now. I'm not scared of dentists or needles etc and I'm recently trying to look after myself better but just can't get myself motivated to go.

How often do people visit their dentists?

FeckinCrutches Tue 21-Jun-16 11:43:49

Once year. You really should go, it's a bit grim not too, especially when you don't have a phobia.

MissSueFlay Tue 21-Jun-16 11:49:09

I went to the dentist a couple of months ago for the first time in well over a decade. I hadn't had any issues with my teeth, but I registered so I could take my daughter and thought I'd get checked out too. It was fine, the dentist gave me a ticking off but she had to admit that my teeth were in good nick and I didn't require any treatment apart from a clean-up with the hygienist. After a good clean my teeth felt & looked cleaner, all the stains had gone, it was really nice!

The hygienist said I should go back every 3 to 4 months shock, but that's not going to happen (after all, I'd just done 10 years without anything at all!) - I do have a deep suspicion of dentists & hygienists because of the money involved....

It is probably about time you went, just to check everything is fine & get a nice clean (ready for the next 10 years!). Have a look on the NHS Choices pages - you can read reviews of your local ones.

TheWordOfBagheera Tue 21-Jun-16 11:49:34

Do go.

I didn't go for ten years. Felt very embarrassed when I did go but the dentist didn't bat an eyelid and was great. I was worried that there would be a backlog of problems but there weren't - just had a clean which felt lovely.

I think it's more common than you'd think.

irregularegular Tue 21-Jun-16 11:50:36

I didn't go through the student/young adult years. From about 18-25. Just never got round to it. I then had wisdom teeth issues and was forced to go, but I don't think it did any long term harm. I go once a year now. They try to get you to go every 6 months but I think that is unnecessary - and expensive.

Naty1 Tue 21-Jun-16 11:56:02

I didnt go when i started work. One tooth cracked when biting bread (stone probably).
Dp didnt go either, developed gum disease and 2 healthy teeth had to be pulled because of bad gums so far.

YouAreMySweetestDownfall Tue 21-Jun-16 12:05:21

Phew! Glad it's not just me. I'm worried about the expense too.

I'll have to bite the bullet I guess. Stupid that I'm scared of the dentist telling me off and not of them drilling into my teeth!

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 21-Jun-16 12:08:33

you should go. Its gum disease you really want to avoid, which would mean losing teeth, and you need to keep on top of gum health.

Every 6 months is recommended. The dentist won't tell you off.

Biffa44 Tue 21-Jun-16 12:13:51

Don't bite a bullet - that might just make things worse. smile

I left it about 10 years once, dentist was fine about it and everything was OK. I've only started having problems since going regularly!

badfurday Tue 21-Jun-16 12:16:05

I was the same. I hadn't been since I was 19 ( now 36!) I went last week. I need 2 Fillings, but apart from that the dentist was happy with my teeth. Just do it, you only have one set of teeth. Its like a car, get it serviced regularly, don't wait for it to go wrong.

Mrsmorton Tue 21-Jun-16 12:16:18

Gum disease and mouth cancer are both very good reasons to have at least annual check ups even if your teeth are in good nick. Less than £20 on the NHS and quite probably not as much as a haircut privately.

badfurday Tue 21-Jun-16 12:17:03

As far as cost goes, NHS is £18 for a checkup. Fillings are £50 each.

ShanghaiDiva Tue 21-Jun-16 12:18:03

Regular visits to hygienist are important imo - my dentist recommended for me to have an annual check up, but 6 monthly appointment with hygienist.

whois Tue 21-Jun-16 12:26:31

Do you have impeccable oral hygiene? Use an electric brush? Floss 2x a day? Don't drink fizzy drinks and eat sweets?

it is important to go to the dentist 1x per year and hygiene 2x a year tho I think.

Ginkypig Tue 21-Jun-16 12:33:35

I didn't go for about 4-5 years after a bad time with dentists in childhood.

I didn't have any pain but she discovered I needed 6 teeth out!

She said it had looked like I'd looked after my teeth really well and it was most likely problems leftover from the issues that had affected my baby teeth (mums cancer treatment affected the enamel)

I'm so glad I went since that first year getting the 6 teeth out Iv never even had a filling!

I go about every 6 months now but the dentist is great she takes it slow as she knows I have "issues" with dentists.

SaveSomeSpendSome Tue 21-Jun-16 12:36:10

I go every 6 months. I see the hygienist every 6 months. So every 3 months my teeth get a clean and all stains removed.

Dd who is 3 has been going every 6 months since 12 months old.

YouAreMySweetestDownfall Tue 21-Jun-16 12:37:49

No whois I don't blush. I often forget to brush at night and never floss and live of tangfastics!

I'm currently undergoing a bit of a health overhaul though so this is part of it.

I'm grim. I know!

YouAreMySweetestDownfall Tue 21-Jun-16 12:39:34

savesome my ds is also 3 and he hasn't been yet but is going next week. That's what got a me thinking about it.

MackerelOfFact Tue 21-Jun-16 12:48:12

I've had periods of 3-4 years at a time where I haven't been to the dentist and been fine - it's not advisable though. Most dental problems are easy to predict when you have a regular check-up, but they can also cause a lot of pain very quickly meaning you end up desperately trying to find an emergency dentist and pay a fortune for remedial work, when it might be something that could have been prevented more cheaply and painlessly if a dentist had spotted it 6 months earlier.

The dentist shouldn't tell you off - it's your mouth, if you want it to be fetid and diseased that's your lookout really!

fascicle Tue 21-Jun-16 13:26:05

Worth going to prevent future issues, and as Mrsmorton points out, it's not just about teeth - they can flag up other health issues. Once you've dipped your toe back in, you'll be fine. You can prime them beforehand to treat you carefully/not tell you off. smile

DJBaggieSmalls Tue 21-Jun-16 13:31:39

Its £18 for a check up.

irregularegular Tue 21-Jun-16 13:43:31

Can't get an NHS dentist round here so it is a lot more than that. And they always want you to have a session with the hygenist too (I'm not good at saying no). Definitely over £50 in total.

irregularegular Tue 21-Jun-16 13:45:17

Looked it up. At my local dentist a routine check up is £39 and a scale and polish is £55. £94.

quasibex Tue 21-Jun-16 14:54:11

I only rejoined the dental checking club when my eldest was born, I felt I couldn't bother her about looking after her teeth if I wasn't even visiting a dentist myself.

Turns out I made the right move, I managed to get on the NHS list locally before it closed and as family members my children get automatically approved as patients (I know that's not relevant whilst children but could be as they grow older).

Dentist didn't flinch when I told them I'd be absent from a dentist chair for over a decade, just did some xrays and sent me on my way.

If you are lucky enough to get in with an NHS dentist make sure you visit regularly. Our dentist removes you from their NHS lists without notice if you don't attend for 2 years. I suspect others will operate a similar policy but once a year isn't a bad habit to get into anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now