Bare with me?

(188 Posts)
Veterinari Mon 20-Jun-16 21:51:50

I know I'll be told that I am. I know I'm being pedantic, and that language evolves and that its only an Internet forum, not a literacy test.
I'm sure there'll be some proper pedants along to point out the eleventy million SPAG errors in my OP.

But in the off chance you're interested and genuinely didn't know, AIBU to point out that the phrase is 'bear with me' as in to bear a heavy load, not 'bare with me' as in let's get naked together.
Very very different connotations.

As you were

Kissesgingers Mon 20-Jun-16 21:53:33

grin

BikeRunSki Mon 20-Jun-16 21:55:20

Thank you. I knew that. Have you just found out?

Queenbean Mon 20-Jun-16 21:57:03

I knew that....

SlipperyJack Mon 20-Jun-16 21:57:07

It's also "hear hear", not "here here", when you are in violent agreement with someone.

Veterinari Mon 20-Jun-16 21:59:03

Nice to see so many people 'in the know'

But if you spend any time on MN you'll probably also know tha it's a pretty common error - I see it almost daily here (which probably says more about me than anything else!)

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 20-Jun-16 21:59:41

Bare foot and bear foot are easy to mix up and, let's face it, they seem to mean the same thing grin

Dozyoldtwonk Mon 20-Jun-16 22:01:05

I have a friend who is a teacher, who regularly and consistently uses the word your in place of you are/you're.

I don't have the heart nor the guts to point it out.

stoopstofolly Mon 20-Jun-16 22:01:43

YANBU. There have been a number of posts recently that have done this. I wouldn't comment about it on the post but I agree that it's immensely irritating. We will be in a minority though. Prepare to be called a pedant and lightly mocked...

deathtoheadlice Mon 20-Jun-16 22:03:21

I don't get why people insist on "loosing" weight. Grrrrrrrrrr. Loose: not tight. Lose: no longer have. What's so hard? This is why there's a pedant's corner...

ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 20-Jun-16 22:03:59

As per the op... this could get interesting... Just make sure no one has a camera...

deathtoheadlice Mon 20-Jun-16 22:04:30

And do point it out to the teacher. Needs to be done...

Helmetbymidnight Mon 20-Jun-16 22:04:38

I really struggle with this (see my previous posts)!

However my biggest bug- bear?!?! Is loose and lose. Ffs that one is really simple!

Purplebluebird Mon 20-Jun-16 22:05:04

I saw a good one today.... "I don't know if my child was or not wasn't the one blabla". Not wasn't?! Hahaha

Buckinbronco Mon 20-Jun-16 22:05:32

I have seen this on here very rarely nothing like daily. Agree it's annoying though

Theonslostbits Mon 20-Jun-16 22:05:37

*that smile

Ifonlylovewouldsavetheday Mon 20-Jun-16 22:06:55

I've always disliked it as a phrase. I know the correct spelling and meaning but always hear it as a possible bare with me so never use it. Similarly I rarely say balls lol

carabos Mon 20-Jun-16 22:07:00

What about "bonified"? I think that popped up on the house sitting thread.
The one that sets me alight is "reigns" for "reins".

acasualobserver Mon 20-Jun-16 22:08:37

Meh. Can't get fussed myself. It's only an internet messageboard.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 20-Jun-16 22:08:37

So... this isn't a thread for nudists?! sad

Feelingblue222 Mon 20-Jun-16 22:09:06

I keep seeing defiantly instead of definitely. Drives me mad! WIBU to refuse to communicate with my friend that repeatedly makes this mistake until she learns the error of her ways?

OrlandaFuriosa Mon 20-Jun-16 22:11:01

And there I was thinking you were calling for MNrs to jointly in exposing all....

toldmywrath Mon 20-Jun-16 22:11:16

Bare with me vet but shurely it's on the off chance (and not in) wink

OrlandaFuriosa Mon 20-Jun-16 22:11:30

Join, not jointly..

BrexitentialCrisis Mon 20-Jun-16 22:11:45

Ooh yes- am such a pedant, I hate seeing this sort of thing and I love seeing this sort of thing in equal measure. I did think that your title was unintentionally incorrectly spelt and I only came on to see if you made any other mistakes and then judge a tiny bit to nosey about that. Anyway, yes I agree with above posters about the your/you're teacher- that is basic and should be highlighted. It's terrible she hasn't been told already!

I'm noticing a lot of people spelling woman (singular) as women at the moment and it's really awful.

Please excuse me for the cowbag-ness of this post- I'm not really a horrible person really but have had a shite few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now