Advanced search

AIBU about accepting this offer on our house or is DH?

(10 Posts)
NoonarAgain Mon 20-Jun-16 19:49:51

Our house is on the market for 650k. It was going to 640k but the agent felt that it had been greatly improved since we tried to sell it a year ago and so upped his valuation at the last minute.

The second person to view it offered 615k then upped it to 625k.

DH and the agent both thing our house is worth more and want to play hard ball and not even consider accepting that offer, especially until after the referendum. the purchAse of our next house is slightly referendum dependent ( due to the circs of the vendor) btw, it also has a rather vague guide price, and so we don't really know what we will have to offer to secure the house.

DH is in property and a good businessman. I am risk averse and want to accept 625, especially as we tried to sell for two months last year with no offers. It's quite a slow market where we are.

AIBU? I don't want to lose this potential buyer!

WhatALoadOfWankers Mon 20-Jun-16 19:54:13

How long has it been on the market this time ?

NoonarAgain Mon 20-Jun-16 19:55:48

They offered on day 7. Then upped it two days later. Now we have silence til the referendum (on agent and dh's instructions and I'm really jittery!)

MarkRuffaloCrumble Mon 20-Jun-16 20:35:05

TBH if your new purchase is dependent on what happens this week I'd wait and let the dust settle before making any decisions. 7 days is nothing, you'll get plenty more offers in that case.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 20-Jun-16 20:38:11

My view is you would happily have put it on the market for 640k.

You have an offer only 15k below that price, which on a percentage basis is what approx 2.5% below the asking price. If it's a slow market near you I think that's good.

Bearbehind Mon 20-Jun-16 20:43:23

If we vote to leave IMO a lot of people will be pulling out of house purchases due to the forthcoming uncertainty so the offer of £625k may well be withdrawn anyway.

If we vote to stay I'd go back at £635k and settle at £630k.

Gide Mon 20-Jun-16 21:40:25

Think I'd take that and run. With the vote this week, I think uncertainty might make prices drop.

HeddaGarbled Mon 20-Jun-16 22:52:07

I'm with you. I would accept a reasonable offer if the buyers were in a position to move and I liked them so that we could get the house we wanted and have a hassle free move. If you have a house worth what yours is £15k is a drop in the ocean and not worth losing a sale and potential new house over.

But that's the common sense, non-aggressive, non-competitive view. Your H and estate agent are playing macho games. Their dicks will wilt if they don't haggle and win. If you make your H behave like a rational person, he will probably be rendered impotent. So sex or house, your choice grin

mummytime Mon 20-Jun-16 23:04:24

I think it is uncertain whatever - it is too late to "take the money and run" just in case. No purchase will go through until after the result, and if its leave then I would expect an uncertain market for at least the next two years. The prospective buyer will not have even spent any money to tie themselves in.

But if it is Leave, and the offer was still on the table, I might well take it.

TheNaze73 Mon 20-Jun-16 23:56:55


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now