Talk

Advanced search

to want to go camping with a six-year-old, a four-year-old, and a seven-month-old?

(25 Posts)
swancourt Mon 20-Jun-16 13:03:24

Just that. Pregnant with DC3. Tempted to do an early bird booking on a Eurocamp-type campsite for summer 2017, when DC3 will (hopefully) be 7 months old. Want to keep costs to a minimum so I want to book one of their tents (the ones that come with fridges, proper beds, etc).

Nobody has really told me this is unreasonable. But i have a lurking feeling that it is. Would you do this?

toffeeboffin Mon 20-Jun-16 13:05:57

It might be really good actually, OP.

Your little one will not be at the crazy exploring toddler stage, can still sleep in a cot and have fun playing on the beach etc.

Your eldest two will love it, they are the perfect age for camping!

StrawberryQuik Mon 20-Jun-16 13:07:21

Nah YANB I was going to just make shock faces but I was thinking about girl guide type tents and camping stoves from your title then I read there'd be fridges and beds and I think it sounds like a lovely holiday.

swancourt Mon 20-Jun-16 13:08:41

We're doing a similar thing this summer, but staying in a caravan. Could only afford one week but could stretch to two if we did a tent next time, and the tents seem to have pretty much the same facilities (except a loo, but we won't have anybody at potty training age).

swancourt Mon 20-Jun-16 13:09:21

Thanks for the replies! Finger is hovering over the 'book' button :D

HappyAsASandboy Mon 20-Jun-16 13:10:14

We went camping (UK, own tent) with two four year olds and a 7 month old last summer. Baby was a breeze as immobile grin

The only thing I think might be difficult is bottle sterilising if you bottle feed. But if you can think through a system (cold water + tablets? Or do the pre-pitched tents have microwaves?) then no need to worry smile

Have a lovely time smile

Blu Mon 20-Jun-16 13:10:48

Sounds great.

Things to think about: if applicable, sterilising and preparing bottles in a tent (can be done, of course).
Noise at night if your 7 month old turns out to be a less than peaceful sleeper.

FankEweVeryMuch Mon 20-Jun-16 13:14:12

Not mad in my opinion (says the lady who's taking a 7yo, 6yo, 3yo and 8 month old this weekend confused).

I'll update next week!

I don't sterilise after 6 months but know that most people do, I'll wash bottles and used ready made cartons of milk. He'll sleep in a travel cot,

inaclearingstandsaboxer Mon 20-Jun-16 13:14:46

I went camping with a three year old and an eight week old - was a fab holiday!

Was a long time ago though - nearly 25 yrs

RitchyBestingFace Mon 20-Jun-16 13:17:07

I went camping with a 5 year old and a 5 month old. And not in one of those naice, pre-assembled, mod-cons Eurocamp ones* but on a wet and windy Brecon Beacon hillside. It was great. We had an amazing time.

*not that I'm dissing you for going that route, I don't blame you!

justaweeone Mon 20-Jun-16 13:17:50

Go for it

swancourt Mon 20-Jun-16 13:19:04

With the DDs I breastfed and they both absolutely refused a bottle until ten months. Didn't really try with DD2 to be fair, but with DD1 I went back to work after six months and was desperate for her to take any kind of drink from anything but me - she wouldn't at all. Nursery assured me she would take to it when I wasn't there. But she stuck to her guns!

But of course I don't know what will happen with DC3 - things might pan out differently. So good to have the tip about sterilising, etc - it hadn't crossed my mind.

Have a great holiday fankewe!

Imnotaslimjim Mon 20-Jun-16 13:22:57

I went "proper" camping, with sleeping bags and a camping stove with an 8 week old. It was awesome, so relaxed! I think what your planning sounds fab

isittheholidaysyet Mon 20-Jun-16 13:33:13

Fantastic time to go, before crawling starts because then you'll need a lead and dog screw for the baby .

Make sure you have pushchair of somekind so baby can sit and watch the world and a plastic backed picnic blanket to lay on in the day times and maybe a large umbrella or something else to use as a sunshade if you are abroad.

Sterilizing. Take a container with a lid, large enough to hold what you need, and cold water sterilise. I BFed, but went camping with 6 month DS who I'd started weaning, so I sterilised all feeding stuff and sippy cup. I wouldn't have done at home, but I felt the need to do it whilst living outdoors!

Take small spray bottle of anti-bac suface cleaner and a packet of anti-bac wipes.

swancourt Mon 20-Jun-16 13:35:55

Writing down these tips. Will lose them and have to post again before we go, but still, I'm writing them down smile

DoJo Mon 20-Jun-16 14:34:58

Don't be so sure a 7 month old won't be crawling, but travel cots double up as play pens for more mobile babies!

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Mon 20-Jun-16 15:47:55

Do it!

Andbabymakesthree Mon 20-Jun-16 16:22:55

Why not i often go camping with the children solo. Pre pitched etc would be a doodle. Will have similar ages myself next summer. Sounds like a great idea.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 20-Jun-16 16:35:30

I was planning to camp with a 3 year old and a 12 year old.
But my mum decided it would be too much for me, so she booked us a cottage.
I know the cottage will be lovely. And easy.
But not sure I should be disappointed she thinks I won't manage...

swancourt Mon 20-Jun-16 16:54:45

Ha ha. Both of mine were 8 month crawlers and I had a 12 month walker and a 13 month walker. So at 7 months - actually somewhere between 6 and 7 months - if past babies are any indicator I'll have a child rocking back and forwards and occasionally collapsing in rage 😂

HisNameWasPrinceAndHeWasFunky Mon 20-Jun-16 16:59:06

I've done this in the UK - on my own with 2yo & 5yo - it was fab.

www.dawnchorusholidays.com/tented-lodges/

We stayed here - big tent, cooker, beds etc. All the equipment was there so it really was hassle free (apart from no dishwasher of course). We live in a big city and I love the outdoors aspect.

As I was on my own with 2 young DC I didn't want the hassle of using communal toilets (esp in the night) with small children which was the main reason I paid extra to stay here as it comes with it's own proper loo and shower.

isittheholidaysyet Mon 20-Jun-16 20:57:42

Despite what I wrote earlier about not crawling yet, two of mine were crawling at 6 months., but camping was still fine. You might want to introduce yourself to your neighbours though, so they know where to return the baby!

missymayhemsmum Mon 20-Jun-16 22:24:42

The camping shouldn't be a big problem, the travelling would be the nightmare, I'd have thought. Will you be the only adult?
My tip for camping is to pack everything into those stacking crates- so you have a crate for clothes each, one for shoes (by door of tent) waterproofs, toys, etc.
Does the tent come with a toilet? If not the logistics of taking one child to the toilet block at 2am without waking the others will be the challenge.

BeALert Tue 21-Jun-16 01:07:57

I camped with an under 1 and he woke up the minute it got slightly light. There was then about 3 hours of quiet time to get through. We took it in turns to drive him somewhere each morning from 5 am to 8 am. I've never been quite so exhausted.

swancourt Tue 21-Jun-16 09:10:40

I won't be the only adult - DH will be there too. Good point about the light, although with a baby of that age I doubt we'll be sleeping much wherever we are!

Travel will be okay - 30 mins to Dover from my parents' house, ferry, then a five hour drive that we can spread over a whole day with plenty of stops.

Not worried about the toilet - neither of mine gets up in the night for a wee any more and I've no problem with them going in a potty if they're desperate during the night and then sorting it in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now