Talk

Advanced search

To be crying over a coldsore

(21 Posts)
Marmite27 Sun 19-Jun-16 21:32:54

It snuck up on me while out today, no tingle warning to slap on a shit load of Zovirax, straight to blisters.

I have a nearly 9mo baby who I now can't kiss - it's making me cry and feel like the worst mum ever sad

Plus I've not had a break out for a few years and the cream in the house is out of date and the shops are shut. Woe is me...

Gide Sun 19-Jun-16 21:34:52

Got any turmeric? Mix with water, dab on. Worked brilliantly for me.

bookbook Sun 19-Jun-16 21:39:16

Aftershave or perfume - dries them up

AtrociousCircumstance Sun 19-Jun-16 21:39:52

I feel your pain. It's shit.

Get the compeed patches - they will make you feel less concerned about the fear of infection, especially at night. Still use Zovirax though.

Your baby won't notice the lack of kisses! Take care of yourself. Get some Lysine tablets (although you may already use them of course!).

Marmite27 Sun 19-Jun-16 21:41:19

Will try turmeric / perfume shortly. Thank you.

I'm still breast feeding, never thought to check the cream for contra indications, I feel even worse now sad

AtrociousCircumstance Sun 19-Jun-16 21:55:41

I used Zovirax whilst breast feeding. Don't worry. It's ok.

Zovirax is the only scientifically proven topical stuff that actually works on the virus.

Lysine capsules are helpful because of how the receptors for the virus act. Have a google about it.

AtrociousCircumstance Sun 19-Jun-16 21:56:25

Ps the GP gave me the internal (ie pills) version of Zovirax when I was breast feeding.

villainousbroodmare Sun 19-Jun-16 21:58:20

I thought the cold sore was on your baby. Then YANBU to cry. So glad it's not.
V annoying bloody things.

hopskip123 Sun 19-Jun-16 22:49:29

Order lysine (ointment) on amazon prime, small green and white tube. Absolutely amazing, reduces time by at least half. Tube will last you forever

NotSoFancyHanky Sun 19-Jun-16 23:04:01

Another saying lysine tablets. I find now that even if I stop for a few days cold sores appear. Especially as bf 6month old at the moment.

Lissalovies Sun 19-Jun-16 23:52:46

Lysine tablets work bloody wonders. OP if it's any consolation I had a few outbreaks when my littleuns were babies and although I had to be really strict with hygiene and no kissing, they didn't catch them from me.

blondieblondie Mon 20-Jun-16 00:07:30

I use lysine tablets too. I used to regularly get cold sores, but when using it I never had one for absolutely ages, until I stopped taking it.

sykadelic Mon 20-Jun-16 00:14:17

I'd still use the out-of-date cream, better than nothing until the shops open.

2nds Mon 20-Jun-16 00:17:00

I'd use the out of date cream, my out of date germolene is still getting used and working well. In fact germolene might clear the cold sore up.

Marmite27 Mon 20-Jun-16 08:13:02

I've been using the out of date cream, I thought it was better than nothing. It's not spread overnight, but does now itch.

I'm a picker, and having to sit on my hands, and try not to chew it. Horrible things.

jobrum Mon 20-Jun-16 09:16:00

Compeed patches are excellent, don't buy the Boots own brand though! They are the same price but really, really crap! I bought Bonjella cold sore cream the other day, it has the same active ingredient but its a sticky gel that really coats the coldsore. Worked well. Fine while bfing

jobrum Mon 20-Jun-16 09:16:52

Oh and when I once got one at work with no cream to hand I used some antibac handgel that dried it up really quickly.

lucy101101 Mon 20-Jun-16 09:20:08

With such a small baby I would be taking anti-vitals, your GP should give you them. Also, taking lysine and having a low Argenine diet and using this

www.boots.com/en/Boots-Electronic-Cold-Sore-Machine_1129542/

has all but stopped my husband getting them (and he was getting them all the time at one point which was very worrying with babies).

Butteredparsnips Mon 20-Jun-16 10:31:53

Ha ha I was going to recommend an electronic device but lucy beat me to it! They are great. I probably used it every time I had a cold sore for about 6-9 months (along with Zovirax or a cheaper generic alternative) and now very rarely get them at all. In fact I hadn't even thought about it until I read your thread.

flowers for now - I remember only too well how upset I was at not being able to kiss my DC when they were babies, and I used to get them a lot (the joy of the toddler years with constant colds).

Marmite27 Mon 20-Jun-16 13:41:48

Thank you all, I've just had a call from my Dr who said the same Zovirax is fine, and she's going to do me a prescription - 1st thing I've used my maternity prescription exemption for!

Booboostwo Mon 20-Jun-16 14:54:00

I hate cold sores! I used to get about one a year but when I was breastfeeding all the time with both DCs I seemed to get one a month. The sleep exhausting contributes to them in my case. I used the compede patches and neither of my DCs got them if that's any consolation even though we were co sleeping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now