Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to mention this on Fathers Day?

(37 Posts)
Oliviacolemansshriek Sun 19-Jun-16 13:55:49

Just home from work. DH and the kids have been out in the garden. Lovely, they've done some weeding!
Except Jasmine, peonies and raspberries are not weeds are they?
FFS.
Last year an entire grapevine fell at his hands. It was massive and he cut it off at the root!
I should really not mention this on Fathers Day should I? Help me with some tongue-biting strategies please!

KateLivesInEngland Sun 19-Jun-16 14:02:54

Maybe leave it til tonight or tomorrow, but you need to tell him to step away from the shears.
Just point out that gardening isn't his strong suit without being too pissy about it?
I don't know. Gardening isn't mine tbh either!!

Kit2015 Sun 19-Jun-16 14:06:20

Are we married to the same DH? My whole 3year cultivated herb garden destroyed...
I also found him hacking at my rose bushes with a bread knife! A bloody bread knife.

Oliviacolemansshriek Sun 19-Jun-16 14:13:28

Yes Kit surely there can't be two such feckless buggers in the world.
I definitely wouldn't put the bread knife past my DH either.

Witchend Sun 19-Jun-16 14:14:28

DF was known as the anemone enemy after he "weeded" the ones dm planted. grin

Oliviacolemansshriek Sun 19-Jun-16 14:15:55

Not sure how diplomatic I can be Kate.
"Thanks for pulling up my sodding flowers love" might get his back up.

Egosumquisum Sun 19-Jun-16 14:19:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BadgersNadgers Sun 19-Jun-16 14:20:45

Leave the weedy fucker!

Oliviacolemansshriek Sun 19-Jun-16 14:24:49

I like the anemone enemy witchend.
I might call DH the raspberry ripper.

TooMuchMNTime Sun 19-Jun-16 14:42:13

WTAF!!

were any of these in flower?

AllegraWho Sun 19-Jun-16 14:45:12

Oh god I've got one of those too.

Thing is, he's such a great guy in every other respect, that I bit my tongue till it bled...

Until that bleak autumn day when he proudly invited me to admire the result of his gardening efforts, where he had somehow managed to dig up every single clematis and fuchsia ("well, they looked dead" "no, they were dormant, you fuckwit"), whilst leaving most of the weeds intact ("they were all nice and green"). He'd also dug up the tayberries because they looked like brambles and cut the grape vine to the ground cos it also looked dead.

My heartbroken sobbing cured him of trying to help for a while, although I have noticed his confidence seems to be coming back slowly, which may or may not be behind the fact that the peony did not come up this year.

Think we need to have a little chat again...

Italiangreyhound Sun 19-Jun-16 14:45:22

Bloody hell I'd have to tell him. Some people are not born to weed!

PrimalLass Sun 19-Jun-16 14:52:38

Sod Father's Day. It's just a day. Let it rip.

Mycraneisfixed Sun 19-Jun-16 14:59:02

What was he thinking???!!!confused

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sun 19-Jun-16 15:12:49

I have a garden that needs anything and everything green ripping up. I'll be happy to provide tea and sandwiches if you'd like to fill a coach with well-meaning but clueless people to come attack it for megrin

EnidButton Sun 19-Jun-16 15:18:30

I don't think Father's Day cancels out having the bleeding obvious pointed out. Like how tf did a jasmine plant look like a weed?! When you say 'they' dos done weeding, do you think he just let the Dc loose whilst he had a bit of a sit down in the sun?

EnidButton Sun 19-Jun-16 15:18:44

*did some

Kit2015 Sun 19-Jun-16 19:39:55

We are having our garden done soon and once all the work is done and I have replanted and started a herb garden DH is not allowed anywhere near the area. And if my bread knife goes missing...

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 19-Jun-16 19:44:07

Could you tie a letter to the gardening tools ready for the next time he feels inspired?

MerilwenRose Sun 19-Jun-16 19:51:58

DP asked if there was anything in the (admittedly overgrown) flowerbed actually worth saving. I looked at him funnily and said "well yes, the lavender, the hydrangea, the clematis, the geranium, the salvia, the other geranium, the fuchsia, the forget me nots..."

DesignedForLife Sun 19-Jun-16 20:04:32

Sounds like my Dad! Maybe they are related? He loves digging up my mums favourite plants.

Oliviacolemansshriek Sun 19-Jun-16 20:21:39

I couldn't help myself. I told him and he was really cross about it. He reckons they all looked exactly the same.
The thing is we've got this really invasive ground elder which is taking over and he thought he was helping by getting stuck in with it. He thought I would be pleased so it felt a bit like kicking a puppy.
I seriously don't know how he could mistake jasmine for a weed though! confused

NavyAndWhite Sun 19-Jun-16 20:27:10

Oh fuck I would have cried.

wine have five glasses quick.

Oliviacolemansshriek Sun 19-Jun-16 20:27:32

The fact the jasmine is tied to a trellis is not a big enough giveaway.

Vickyyyy Sun 19-Jun-16 20:27:56

Heh this would be me tbh. DH is the greenfingered one of us, he is obsessed with plants and flowers being a landscape gardener...while I didn't even know the 'pretty new flowers' in our yard were actually weeds grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now