Talk

Advanced search

AIBU at neighbours?

(15 Posts)
Adink Sun 19-Jun-16 09:15:30

Hi,

I've just moved into a new build house on a new road where 10 other residents have all been given properties by my housing association. This may seem trivial but my neighbours son has a guest who keeps parking in front of my house. This isn't a typical street where you have a front garden so she is literally parked in front of my door and livingroom window.

This was done on Friday then again on Saturday, on Saturday I knocked, rang the bell but was ignored. So I wrote a note asking them to not park in front and reminding them that we were all giving 2 parking spaces and told specifically not to park anywhere else.

Anyway later on in the evening the mother of the young man comes banging on my front door, I tried explaining to her that we all have 2 spaces but she flew into a rage saying it was nothing to do with her as its his guest.

Thing is I have a disabled child who's friends are also disabled I would struggle to get a wheelchair past the car to enter my front door. I don't see why I should have to explain this as it was already clearly explained to us all where we could and couldn't park.

Now my neighbour has the hump should I bother explaining the chair issue? I just feel she should tell her guests or sons guests to not park there, when I have visitors they don't park outside her property so I don't see the issue.

branofthemist Sun 19-Jun-16 09:21:37

Unless there is markings on the road, they can park where they want.

Or is the development leasehold?

Can you apply to the council for a disabled parking space to be put outside? Or is the problem just that you can't access your house?

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 19-Jun-16 09:28:50

Not true if it's a private road bran which it likely is on a new build estate, there will be covenants in the house transfers and leases.

Adink Sun 19-Jun-16 10:28:12

The pavement and road all merge into one, she parks so close that it's an issue walking into the front door, I have to walk around her car. Branofthemist we were all told when we moved in that we had 2 allocated parking spaces to the side of our houses and you cannot park anywhere else including your guests.

The mother doesn't want to take responsibility and I'm suprised at the ignorance of her son. So should my guests forgo parking locally and walking to my house and start parking in front of her house as well as my own seeming as nobody cares about the rules?

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sun 19-Jun-16 10:38:15

Speak to the HA. They may be able to paint markings outside your house that make very clear that it is not a parking space.

Or, at least, they can remind everyone of the parking restrictions.

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:40:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

branofthemist Sun 19-Jun-16 10:42:15

Branofthemist we were all told when we moved in that we had 2 allocated parking spaces to the side of our houses and you cannot park anywhere else including your guests.

The issue is, a lot of these things are unenforceable. I live on a leasehold estate. The rule is no commercial vehicles. This is enforceable because it's in the paperwork with the management company.

Is yours? Or were you just asked not to park there. If she is blocking access to your house that's not ok. Personally I would give it a couple of days and go round and explain why you don't want her parking outside. If that doesn't work contact the HA.

I am not saying you have to accept what they are doing. But depending on the situation, different routes are available.

If it's leasehold you can complain to the management company that they aren't following the guidelines.

Isthereeverarightime1 Sun 19-Jun-16 10:44:11

Speak to HA my brother was parking in a restricted area (although unbeknownst to him) his neighbour complained and he got a letter and they also added signs to advise no parking so definitely complain to them as from what I have seen they will deal with it!
You shouldn't have to struggle to get in and out of your house when there are clear rules in place

Heratnumber7 Sun 19-Jun-16 10:48:23

Get in first and park your own car outside your house.

PovertyPain Sun 19-Jun-16 11:05:03

Ask the ha to put markings down for disabled parking. It doesn't matter wether or not you have a car. It's also for any taxis that need to pick you and your son up.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sun 19-Jun-16 16:11:44

Most new build estates have visitor parking spaces. But I have to ask, where do other guests park then?

And deliveries etc. Where do they park?

Mouikey Sun 19-Jun-16 18:04:33

Car parking (as we know), is probably one of the biggest issues that results in neighbour disputes. If you are on a new estate, no doubt parking wouldn't have been well designed so this is likely to cause issues.

Your neighbours may not know your situation (why should they?) and have somewhat more sympathy with you if you explain the issue and that access to your front door for your disabled child it really rather critical. Try and be calm and not passive aggressive (this wont help at all!). At the same time contact your HA, investigate a disabled space with them (although don't be surprised if this doesn't happen, there may be restrictions) and ask for a reminder to be sent out. At the same time keep a written record of who and when blocks your access (as this will help if the problem continues).

Good luck

JoffreyBaratheon Sun 19-Jun-16 18:51:04

I'd get your lcoal council to come out and paint disabled parking space lines in front of your house. This will deter them. I once lived in a row of terraced houses in a city which was a bit like Coronation St - houses came right out onto the pavement, no front gardens. Council did this and we always had a parking space afterwards. Once had a problem with the neighbour's brother in the space - he said he was entitled as his brother was disabled (he wasn't - just an alcoholic) - but in the several years we were there, that was the only time anyone ever tried to park in our spot, and that road was always full of parked cars, and very hard to find a space in. But people on the whole did respect it.

Council came out and did this very quickly, after one phone call. Free of charge. I went back there several years after we moved and noticed it had been painted out.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sun 19-Jun-16 22:49:32

do you have a blue badge?

Greatblue0wl Sun 19-Jun-16 23:01:55

That sounds really annoying op, hopefully things will settle down. Sounds like a poorly planned scheme if cars can obstruct your access like that.

On a side note, who would want to be a housing officer having to negotiate all the "he said she said" arguements. If this was a privately owned scheme then there is no one to facilitate poor neighbours.

I do realise you are not a bad neighbour, just thinking how hellish it is for the staff also. Best of luck. If you are in a lovely new build then if it doesn't get any better, you have a good place people may want to swap to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now