Talk

Advanced search

to not wash my hands BEFORE going to the loo?

(80 Posts)
mallorcanmummy Sat 18-Jun-16 15:36:27

Another thread title just reminded me of a little discussion I had with my DH a while back.

He insists that it doesn't make sense for females to only wash their hands after going to the toilet. They should wash them before too. This is, according to him, as we will be transferring germs to our lady bits if we don't wash our hands before. I did point out that most of us use toilet paper so we don't actually come into contact with our bits. His response to that was why do I bother washing my hands afterwards then? I had to think for a bit and then concluded that
a, it's habit
b, who knows who else has/hasn't been touching their bits/not washing their hands
c, occasionally the paper isn't quite thick enough and a feeling of dampness seeps through. bleurgh.

Note: this only applies to females apparently. Men don't touch the 'important bit' of their apparatus when they wee. Obviously if they do a no.2, the same applies as above.

So, am I a disgusting unclean person, or is he being unreasonable?

bilbul Tue 21-Jun-16 07:06:09

Yes Apple, that's right. She says she doesn't get poo or wee on her when she wipes, so why does she need to wash her hands afterwards?!?

CauliflowerBalti Tue 21-Jun-16 15:12:42

Who the feck touches their foof before weeing?

God's honest truth - I've never had a crafty wank before a wee. I promise you.

ArcheryAnnie Tue 21-Jun-16 15:33:53

Hang on, I thought men did touch their apparatus when they went for a wee?

Happyhippy45 Tue 21-Jun-16 15:42:48

I don't wash hands before going unless I'm changing tampon (with an applicator.)
I wash hand after going, toilet paper is absorband and stuff can leak through.
If I'm in a public toilet and they have a door that needs to be pulled open after I've washed my hands --I wait until someone else comes in/out so I don't have to touch the door--I use hand gel after.
I work in a kitchen and the rules are when you go to the loo, wash your hands and when you get back into the kitchen wash them again.
Too many minging folks touching door handles. Why do they not practice basic hygiene?

RB68 Tue 21-Jun-16 15:47:16

I wash my hands after mainly because the things around the toilet can be germ laden - the loo seat if need to move it - the loo roll holder/loo roll, the flush handle (well doesn't everyone touch it AFTER) so hand wash after and before if changing tampon unless I have gone to the loo having just done the washing up or something where I washed my hands anyway. But again I am a bit of a compulsive handwasher so constantly washing them or it feels that way.

PresidentCJCregg Tue 21-Jun-16 15:56:19

But...but....he actively touches his willy when going to the loo, we don't actually touch our bits?!

He has this all back to front!

jenna951357 Tue 21-Jun-16 16:02:12

I normally wash them after going to the toilet or before if i have to change my tampon

MrsCharlesBrandon Tue 21-Jun-16 16:13:07

I was in a children's hospital a couple of weeks ago and a lady left the cubicle and walked straight out the door. No washing at all. The other mum waiting and I had judgey pants hoiked so far they were painful!
I wash after, only before if mucky/chillies.

MarklahMarklah Tue 21-Jun-16 16:16:51

If you're going to insert a tampon or mooncup then you can't do that easily with toilet paper. If you've touched a door handle/tap/toilet seat/anything else then you could potentially transfer germs.

Same when you have finished. You flush the toilet, you unlock the door. Who knows what a swab of those surfaces might show?!

Iggity Tue 21-Jun-16 16:18:38

Bathroom doors in public places don't push out probably because there is a higher chance of hitting someone. I always open public bathroom doors cautiously as assume there could be someone queueing behind the door in the bathroom.

ArcheryAnnie Tue 21-Jun-16 16:31:58

I like the public loos where there's a sort of snail-shell arrangement at the doorway, rather than an actual door - the inside of the loo is hidden from the outside (ie the cubicles still have doors but you can't see them or the basins from the corridor) but there isn't a door to open or shut, you just walk behind a panel. Our local hospitals have this arrangement. It also means that when there's a queue, one person isn't left jammed in the doorway awkwardly trying to prop the door open while people leave.

LivingInMidnight Tue 21-Jun-16 16:40:25

I'm convinced some people who say their mooncup gives them thrush aren't washing their hands before removing/inserting.

I open doors using the very top of the handle, which is a bit awkward so I've convinced myself no one else has touched it.

1horatio Tue 21-Jun-16 16:48:04

I do wash my hands before masturbating. And I'd like the person (who happens to be DH) to wash their hands before touching my vagina (of courde we have forgotten that sometimes in the heat of the moment).

But unless I have super dirty hands I dont wash them before going to the loo. My hands don't really touch my vagina, afterall. There's a tp barrier. But I do wash my hands after peeing (obviously).

Jolinda Tue 21-Jun-16 16:59:34

As a science post grad we could always spot the microbiologists....they were the ones who washed their hands before they went to the loo!

As for men not touching their bits....Who holds it for your husband when he goes for a wee then?

CakeUpWall Tue 21-Jun-16 17:03:27

I always do before emptying my mooncup. As I would expect anyone to do who planned to have a rummage around in my vagina.

ArcheryAnnie Tue 21-Jun-16 17:15:05

Wasn't it the revolutionary move of doctors washing their hands which drastically reduced the rate of women getting ill and/or sying of sepsis after having babies? A Hungarian doctor had noticed that the death rate was lower for women who'd had their babies at home, and who therefore hadn't had doctors with unwashed hands rummaging around their bits directly afterwards. (Doctors were reputedly very offended at being told to wash their hands.)

squoosh Tue 21-Jun-16 17:16:21

Yes I watched a documentary about the doctor who made the link. Apparently he was laughed out of the profession!

ArcheryAnnie Tue 21-Jun-16 17:17:50

Poor bloke!

BananaThePoet Tue 21-Jun-16 17:19:41

When I did microbiology in dental school we had an 'experiment' where we pressed our dry hands through twenty layers of tissue paper onto a petri dish full of (I can't remember which sort it was) growth medium jelly and then put them to develop.

When we came back to look the shape of our hands were plain to see in thriving little colonies on the jelly.

That was through loads of tissue paper. So I always wash thoroughly after the loo and feel revolted by anyone who doesn't.

Beforehand it would depend on how grimy my hands were and what I was going to need to do. I always wash my hands before inserting a tampon or similar. Toxic shock is not something I ever want to experience.

Penfold007 Tue 21-Jun-16 17:53:01

So he has no need to wash his hands before touching his 'unimportant penis' before having a wee but you have to wash your hands? He is weird.

SockQueen Tue 21-Jun-16 17:53:20

Everyone's genitals have "germs" on them, mostly migrated from their anus. It's natural. Washing your hands before going, unless you've been touching something particularly hazardous, isn't going to stop you having "germs" there or make you safer.

laurenwiltxx Tue 21-Jun-16 17:54:52

Poo particles and germs float in the air and land on you, that's why hand dryers are never used by me and I suppose it depends on what you've been doing but I see it unnecessary to wash before unless been doing something dirty

mallorcanmummy Tue 21-Jun-16 18:07:37

President. Yes, yes he does have it all backwards. This happens a lot. I just asked him and he said he washes his hands enough at work that it isn't necessary beforehand...

Wishing I hadn't started this thread now...I'm starting to look at DH in a different light shock

BANANA....just uggh grin

I'm another who uses a shirtsleeve or equivalent in public toilets.. yuuuk

mallorcanmummy Tue 21-Jun-16 18:18:20

Yes, he is weird. And now cross with me (unreasonably!) for asking this on here. I think he's embarrassed that all these anonymous people are discussing his hand washing habits grin

Where I am, I've seen so many local women leave public toilets without washing their hands. And there's not even a hint of embarrassment about it.

Womenareliketeabags Tue 21-Jun-16 18:46:42

Always always wash after.

Wash before for tampons/if been digging in garden

With regards to wanking not before (unless dirty) after yes. I however always request he washes his willy before any sexy time if he oral is going to be involved then that is a demand. I've been known to stop everything and make him go wash it. 😳

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »