Talk

Advanced search

...to ask for more child maintenance?

(8 Posts)
Changesofmind Fri 17-Jun-16 19:47:06

Hi everyone, looking for some honest advice please.

My exDH and I have a DD. We split up around 10 years ago.

Recently things have become difficult in many ways but basically Ive had enough of doing all the picking up and dropping off of DD when he wants to see her and her feeling down when she's actually there. That I can address, but finances are a bit more tricky.

He pays 50% of the legal minimum amount he should pay. I know he should pay more. DD never stays overnight. But he genuinely does seem to be skint mainly because he's supporting his deadbeat partner and I feel U for asking for more.

I've had to drop to part time hours to do the afternoon school run and so we are struggling more financially than we were, but we aren't struggling to the point of having no spare cash IYSWIM. He should be increasing his contribution by £150 per month which would make a big difference to us but would probably cripple him financially.

I've always been a bit of a doormat the good guy but I don't know if I can ask him or not. Thoughts would be welcome.

beetroot2 Fri 17-Jun-16 19:49:46

Ask him for the going rate or go through other avenues to get it. It annoys me that people think they don't have to do this.

Fourormore Fri 17-Jun-16 19:49:57

He isn't paying the legal minimum? Then definitely ask for more. And if he complains, go straight to the CMS. If he's crippled then he's doing something wrong. Your DD shouldn't suffer for his poor choices.

Changesofmind Fri 17-Jun-16 19:51:27

Would I have to pay to go through CMS? I've never had to use them before. Thanks for your replies!

Fourormore Fri 17-Jun-16 19:52:53

There's an initial £20 fee to set it up.
If he pays as he should, there's no further fees.
If he refuses to pay and the CMS have to collect payment from him then there's a 4% fee for you and a 20% fee for him. You'd still be better off even if this were the case.

Lurkedforever1 Fri 17-Jun-16 19:53:10

The legal minimum is ludicrously low as it is, and any decent nrp would pay more. So if he's not even paying you that much, yabu if you don't tell him. It's his problem if it leaves him skint. Cock.

Changesofmind Fri 17-Jun-16 19:57:04

Lol! I do think he's a cock but then again I'm biased, being the evil ex and all.

Thanks for the payment info. I'll try and get him to pay up voluntarily but I'm not holding my breath.

TipBoov Fri 17-Jun-16 21:04:59

Yes definitely ask for more, and don't feel as though you shouldn't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now