Talk

Advanced search

To be upset with colleague

(8 Posts)
notyourmummy Fri 17-Jun-16 18:38:40

Long backstory, but bear with me.
I work as a 1:1 TA, supporting 2 different children in the same class (one morning one afternoon). There's another 1:1 TA in that class in the morning and we don't really get on. My morning child has a different TA in the afternoon, but my afternoon child doesn't have any support in the mornings.
Today my morning child wasn't in, so after a meeting I had arranged for me, I went back and the class teacher asked me to work with a group of children.
After a while the other 1:1 walked in from doing an activity with a group which included my afternoon child. He hadn't been very well behaved and she sent him to me, telling me what he'd done wrong and then asked why I wasn't in the group, why hadn't I told her I wasn't going to be there, she'd had 30 children on her own and had to send some back. When the class teacher said that I wasn't with that child in the morning, she replied with "but I had two of them last year, and he's special needs, and I didn't realise you weren't coming and I had all these children, on my own".
I was really upset, and felt like she was picking on me unfairly, when I was doing what I thought was the right thing and helping out the class teacher whilst my 1:1 kid was away.
But, I accept that I might be overreacting, so wibu or was she?!

ellesbellesxxx Fri 17-Jun-16 18:47:26

She sounds like a TA I work with! She was bu, you were taking direction from the CT as per your role... She was over stepping mark.

RubbleBubble00 Fri 17-Jun-16 18:48:18

Meh. She sounds like she was stressed about having to deal with 30 kids which surely a ta shouldn't be doing and a sn kid. If she had 30, how many did u and teacher have?

lougle Fri 17-Jun-16 18:48:35

Surely your class teacher is your line manager? She sets your work. If she told you how to spend your time because the child wasn't in, then the TA's problem is with the teacher, not you. The TA doesn't direct your time, so you are not accountable to her.

RubbleBubble00 Fri 17-Jun-16 18:49:00

Surely it's up to the teacher to organise her class and ta's

WhatALoadOfWankers Fri 17-Jun-16 18:53:07

I'd do what the teacher said but I'd be pretty pissed off with 30 children
I thought the max for TA's was 7 ?

notyourmummy Fri 17-Jun-16 18:54:34

Rubble, we had 20 in class. The group was a mix of Y1&2 which the ta chooses to run.

TipBoov Fri 17-Jun-16 19:31:40

Sounds like she was just stressed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now