Talk

Advanced search

Fathers day gift?

(20 Posts)
Amy214 Fri 17-Jun-16 13:56:32

Today 2year old dds playgroup were making things for fathers day, its dds handprint with a poem on the side, on the top it says 'for someone special on fathers day' its lovely but the thing is dds dad isn't involved at all and hasn't been for a while now. Dd absolutely adores her grandad (my df) so would it be weird if she gave it to him instead? We do have other gifts for him aswell. It doesn't say anything like 'dad, daddy or grandad' just simply states 'for someone special on fathers day' so it should be ok? What would everyone else do?

DollyBarton Fri 17-Jun-16 13:57:41

Definitely grandad. He'll be delighted!

nightandthelight Fri 17-Jun-16 13:58:36

Definitely give it to her grandad (I assume that that is what she wants to do
?). The playgroup have clearly made it so that it doesn't have to be given to a biological father smile

BikeRunSki Fri 17-Jun-16 13:58:40

Grandad

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 17-Jun-16 14:01:24

Weird? No

Sweet as hell and likely to make his eyes well up with happy tears? Most definitely.

Amy214 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:16:38

I think they have made it that way so it doesn't have to be given to anyone in particular. I have to admit it made my eyes well up.. Hes the type of man that doesn't cry very often (its rare to see him unhappy) but he does get very emotional when it comes to dd (i think he see's her as his own and is very protective of her) he's the only father figure in her life right now so the more i think of it the more it seems appropriate smile

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 17-Jun-16 14:20:02

I always send a little card to my grandad.
Definitely give it to him.

Pinkheart5915 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:25:02

Give to grandad, I'm sure he'll love it.
It's lovely the nursery worded it in a way to give to other relatives/family friend is the dad isn't around.
When I was little I use to make a card for my dad and my grandad I loved making stuff

Pinkheart5915 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:25:26

Is=if

RiverTam Fri 17-Jun-16 14:26:15

Yes, of course for Grandad, how lovely, he'll be chuffed to bits!

whattodowiththepoo Fri 17-Jun-16 14:28:13

YANBU do it and continue every year you can, my father wasn't involved and reading this thread almost made me cry.
Fucking miss my grandad.

Peeporeader Fri 17-Jun-16 14:34:42

Well done by the playgroup, your dad will love it!

Amy214 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:41:13

I always make sure dd gives her grandparents something for mothers/fathers day, they have done a lot for us and i think its a nice way to show them we appreciate it. This is the 1st time shes actually made something for him (apart from an xmas card last year which was just a blob of paint and a feather grin but they've kept it!)

FireTruckOhFireTruck Fri 17-Jun-16 16:38:27

Not weird at all, it's a lovely idea.

eitak22 Fri 17-Jun-16 16:43:27

Definitely not weird, as you've said OP they will have made it so it can be given to anyone as they will know many children will have stepfathers, grandads, uncles etc who are father figures but not necessarily called dad.

I always send my godmothers a card on mothers day as they are like 2nd mums to me.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 17-Jun-16 16:44:04

My ds does something for his grandad every year. He gets a better Father's Day than I do Mother's Day!

RaeSkywalker Fri 17-Jun-16 16:50:11

Yes, I would definitely give it to her Grandad.

MeAndMy3LovelyBoys Fri 17-Jun-16 16:51:15

Aww smile I think it will be a nice touch on Father's Day for him to receive something like that. He obviously deserves that recognition and it will be even more sentimental because it's handmade. Definitely not weird!
My oldest did a card at his school for his dad and it said "to a roar some dad" on the front with a picture of a dinosaur and his handprint did the spikes on its back. It looks like they haven't made them open to whoever like your DD's play school have.
He's also going to make my dad something too smile

AliceInUnderpants Fri 17-Jun-16 16:54:10

I'm sure Grandad will love it.

We had the Beavers make cards at group on Monday. I stressed to them that it didn't have to be for their dad - could be uncle, grandad, brother, mum, etc - just someone they care about. One little girl made one for me star

Amy214 Fri 17-Jun-16 18:16:00

AliceInUnderpants thats lovely star

It is nice that they have made it open to anyone so that they can give it to whoever is special to them (male or female)
The poem beside the handprint is.. (it made me emotional grin)
"Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small,
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.
But everyday I'm growing,
I'll be grown up someday,
And all these tiny handprints
Will simply fade away.
So here's a final handprint
Just so you can recall,
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now