Talk

Advanced search

To think this pigeon should get in the damn cage

(53 Posts)
kat360 Fri 17-Jun-16 12:59:49

We have had a pigeon hanging around our garden for the past week. He's got a blue band around his foot so he's not wild. He's not hurt and can fly, I've been feeding him.
I've got to try and catch him to read his ID ring. So I've rigged up a dog cage with food in that will close when a rope is pulled. Aibu to think it should get in the cage already?grin

HoneyDragon Fri 17-Jun-16 13:00:28

Wile E is that you?

CalmItKermitt Fri 17-Jun-16 13:06:54

Honeydragon 😄😄
OP if the cage doesn't work try some ACME portable holes 😜

ceebie Fri 17-Jun-16 13:07:36

Photos, please!

NeedACleverNN Fri 17-Jun-16 13:10:46

Leave him?

Nearly all pidgeons have a band on their ankle now days but I wouldn't go round grabbing them all

LaurieFairyCake Fri 17-Jun-16 13:45:07

Ya nutter grin

You're just trying to grab an ordinary pigeon

Porcupinetree Fri 17-Jun-16 13:57:42

Is he in the cage yet?

pigsDOfly Fri 17-Jun-16 14:05:15

Why do nearly all pigeons have bands round their ankles now CleverNN? That's a genuine question. Surely no one catches all the millions of wild pigeons and does this.

He's probably hanging around your garden Kat because you keep feeding him.

NeedACleverNN Fri 17-Jun-16 14:10:48

Nearly every pidgeon I see do

I just think they were once racer pidgeons who have then decided they have had enough of racing and buggered off with other birds

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 17-Jun-16 14:13:50

Wild pigeons don't have leg bands! Yes he should get in the damn cage or he will remain lost!

kat360 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:14:42

The only reason I thought he was a racing/homing pigeon is because I live in a secluded village and I've never seen a pigeon here before. There has also been a hawk of some kind hanging around, so I figured that he was too scared to fly off. It only looks young, it's quite friendly and doesn't fly off until you get quite close.

I hope he's not a normal pigeon or I'll look like a nutter! I think my neighbors will think I've cracked up, I was building a sandpit a couple of weeks ago and it started raining but I carried on. They already give me funny looks because of that.

ceebie, I'll see if I can get a photo, it's a masterpiece. grin

Porcupinetree He's not in the cage yet, my 2yo and 3yo keep checking out of the window. He's sitting on the bedroom windowsill, looking through the window the cheeky bugger.

kat360 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:17:28

PigsDofly I originally put the seed out for the pair of collared doves that live in the bush in my garden and the robins that live in the trees the side of me, not just for him. I like to watch the birds feeding.smile

TheCuntingPigeon Fri 17-Jun-16 14:18:33

Coo coo cooo

sad

LetThereBeCupcakes Fri 17-Jun-16 14:19:24

Whatever you do, do NOT spray paint him!

HoneyDragon Fri 17-Jun-16 14:22:12

Bloody hell, it's pidge <ruffles feathers>

TheEmmaDilemma Fri 17-Jun-16 14:24:11

LetThereBeCupcakes grin

TheCuntingPigeon Fri 17-Jun-16 14:24:22

Cooooooo smile

pigsDOfly Fri 17-Jun-16 14:26:55

If he's on your windowsill looking through the window maybe he thinks he's back home and is trying to get into his loft. That's rather sad, poor little chap.

Perhaps you should open the window and put the cage against it, see if he'll get in it that way. Sprinkle food through the window to entice him.

When I was a child we had a racing pigeon walk into our kitchen one Sunday lunch time, my DF caught it - it was very tame - got hold of the owner and pigeon was returned home. Happy ending all round.smile

Clg199 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:27:11

Apparently weather around thunderstorms can confuse their navigation. We had a ringed one in our garden for a couple of days during a period of thunderstorms. Once they'd cleared he pootled off (not before exH decided if he sat really still in the garden he'd be able to leap up and catch the pigeon unawares so we would read its leg band. It didn't work...)

So if you can't catch him to read the band, once the weather clears he might take himself off home anyway.

kat360 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:44:49

Update: pigeon is on the floor next to the cage and I need to do the school run!

kat360 Fri 17-Jun-16 14:46:52

So close

Ratbagcatbag Fri 17-Jun-16 14:51:39

Was the tanned pidge called Paul?? I cried with laughter at that thread.

Anyway, op, a word of caution, if he's a racing pigeon that's been flying around merrily for more than a week if his owner collects him he may be no more. Once racing pigeons stop coming back they're obviously no use so get killed sad
He may be the champion racer though so owner may be delighted to have him back.

LetThereBeCupcakes Fri 17-Jun-16 14:54:14

Ratbag I've been told that, but why on earth bother going to get the bird just to kill it? Why not just tell whoever finds it to leave it there?

Ratbagcatbag Fri 17-Jun-16 14:59:57

I guess it depends. I know a friend found one and its owner travelled from Scotland to collect it (from East Midlands). I guess it depends on how local it is. My grandad and uncles used to be pigeon fanciers so I know they necked a few of them.

scarednoob Fri 17-Jun-16 15:01:35

I have two budgies and a big flock of wild parrots live on our street, but now I want a tame pidgie, damnit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now