Talk

Advanced search

to think an acknowledgement might be nice?

(11 Posts)
Grumpysfirstwife Fri 17-Jun-16 10:27:53

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself. sad

After a member of staff went on long term sick at my DS's school I stepped in to run the afterschool club so that the children could continue with it. The club finished before half term and I started covering in November last year.

We have just had the first school awards assembly since I finished helping and no-one, not a single member of staff said 'thank you' to me for covering the club.

No-one even batted an eyelid on my last day helping them despite several acknowledging it was my last session. hmm

Surely when parents take time out of their day to help at a school a simple 'thanks' would be nice or AIBU ?

acasualobserver Fri 17-Jun-16 10:34:40

V.poor. A thankyou in assembly should have been the minimum acknowledgement. However, remind yourself of the reasons you stepped in to run the club and take satisfaction in a job well done.

bumbleymummy Fri 17-Jun-16 11:41:25

Yanbu. They really should have thanked you.

bigbluebus Fri 17-Jun-16 11:50:47

You absolutely should have been thanked at the very least. I have been volunteering for 2 hours a week at a local school for 9 years. During that time I have worked for various teachers and all have acknowledge the time that I give either by thanking me when I'm there and/or giving a small gift at Christmas and end of year. I don't do it for the gift/thanks, I do it to give something back to the school and community because I can. Having said that I think I would feel pretty miffed if I did not feel my efforts were appreciated.

TipBoov Fri 17-Jun-16 19:38:47

YANBU, they should have thanked you.

JohnBarrowmaniac Fri 17-Jun-16 19:40:36

That is very shoddy. You should have been thanked!

Floggingmolly Fri 17-Jun-16 19:42:27

Very poor indeed. flowers

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Fri 17-Jun-16 19:47:45

Yanbu.

Did you cover a paid staff member's job at after school care for free?

If so, I'd submit an invoice to the school for every hour of work you have done priced at NMW.

When they have a chance to see just how much money you've saved them, I'm sure they will find it easier to thank you instead.

I'm not surprised you are upset, you have saved them a fortune and lots of hassle, a thank you is the very least you deserve.

Grumpysfirstwife Fri 17-Jun-16 22:49:23

coffeethrowtrampbitch yes I volunteered covering for a paid member of staff. I hadn't thought of invoicing them to show how much money I've saved them. I like that idea. grin

MajesticWhine Fri 17-Jun-16 23:00:46

You could say something. It's out of order.

OwlinaTree Fri 17-Jun-16 23:05:44

Sorry op, that is a rubbish way to be treated. You have been very kind and thoughtful to take over the club, what a shame no one has bothered to consider your feelings.

I'm not sure how you could bring it up with the school though. Every way I think of makes you seem petty. You are firmly in the right on this one, but it is hard to raise really, especially if you want gratitude rather than cash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now