Talk

Advanced search

To ask for some women's health advice/opinions?

(27 Posts)
Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 09:37:40

I have seen my GP and she has referred me for a scan. But I'm just asking if anybody knows what this might be, so I can prepare myself for what might be shown on the scan.

I stopped taking my pill in Feb as I was spotting and getting headaches. These symptoms stopped instantly. I did have a period in March which was pretty normal.

End of April I started spotting again which carried on for a few weeks then turning into what I thought was a period. This period kept going and going and getting heavier and heavier. In the last week it has become so heavy and I am losing blood clots also. I am soaking a pad (and more) every 2 hours, if not sooner. It's completely flooding.

I'm not in any pain, other than some slight cramping. And I do feel very tired and "not with it".

My husband has been using condoms and pregnancy tests (taken since heavy bleeding started) are negative. I do have PCOS although this has never been confirmed by scans etc.

Onedaftmonkey Fri 17-Jun-16 10:08:35

Sorry to hear of your problems OP i haven't got any idea as to what it could be. But I hope the scan gets to the bottom of it and you get it sorted soon. Good luck. flowers

lissage Fri 17-Jun-16 10:15:51

Which type of scan have you been referred for?

Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 10:17:33

An ultrasound.

lissage Fri 17-Jun-16 11:43:49

Oh ok OP, if that's the term the GP used I can't really add any more. There are two types of ultrasound that could be relevant here. As I don't know which one you were referred for, or the referral could be requesting both, I don't want to try to make any guesses.

Could you book a phone appointment with your GP to ask her what their thoughts are? Lots of GPs will explain a few possibilities they want to check out when they refer you for a scan. Sometimes they'll be clear that they don't know what may be the problem, which is why they are requesting the scan.
Good luck flowers

Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 11:51:25

Sorry I didn't be clearer about what the GP said. Her first thought was a miscarriage but as pregnancy tests have been negative she was unsure about that. She got me to do a test which was also negative, although she said it may not have been reliable as there was so much blood in my urine sample. I'm pretty certain the blood is vaginal and not urethral though.

She is referering me for the scan as she is unsure what is happening so a scan will hopefully show something.

AcornToOak Fri 17-Jun-16 11:57:06

Have you had a smear recently? May be worth asking for one if you haven't, not trying to scare you just think it could be useful for ruling out other things, i had mutated cells and had periods very similar to how you describe, flowers for you and i hope you get sorted soon

Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 11:59:21

My last smear was in 2014 so not that recent no!

Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 12:00:35

I forgot to say she has prescribed me norathisterone (sp?) to try and control or stop the bleeding.

AcornToOak Fri 17-Jun-16 12:21:19

I don't know about the medication side of it tbh, i was given mefenamic acid and tranexamic acid to take which worked well for me

Only going by my experience (which is not entirely the same as yours, and i am in no way a medical professional) I would request a smear as in my head it seems silly not not to have that as part of the investigation

PeppasNanna Fri 17-Jun-16 12:25:26

They wont be able to do a smear with the bleeding.

How old are you Op?

Did the GP send you for blood tests?

Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 12:27:34

I'm 28. Yes I have blood test booked next week but I believe that's only to check my hb levels as I may now be anaemic due to the blood loss.

oldandwiser Fri 17-Jun-16 13:01:13

not good at spelling has endronitis been excluded, it is when the bits stick to sides of the womb and can cause a lot of pain and often takes years to finally get to find out what it is. it is not helpful if you plan for children. so best to make sure as early on as possible so do ask about that. you may need a D and C too. I would also ask if you are becoming anemic too if your lost of blood is lots. pale lips sort of bluish is a good sign. I see you are only 28 so it is not the curse coming on early, well, hope not as that can happen, also have you been checked for infection too. Probably not a lot of help here but there may be an answer if you go armed with these sort of questions. try not to worry they have you onboard now so are bound to find out the cause. some years back i had a massive blood leak and really scared the hell out of me and it was a big build up of bacteria in my bladder, no pain but had to have several antibiotics for it and no idea how this particular bacteria got there they said it was not the normal type they find. so good luck. just keep asking the questions until they find the cause.

Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 13:13:01

I haven't had any pain to be honest, just a bit of cramping. Don't think I have endometriosis. I have a dd (although took me a long time to conceive her).

I have no symptoms of infection, blood pressure, temp and pulse is fine.

I'm very tired so am worried I may now be anaemic but have a blood test to check my hb next week.

LifeInJeneral Fri 17-Jun-16 13:18:02

Hi OP I don't know if this will be the same obviously but a few years ago I worked with a friend who had something similar. She thought she might be pregnant but kept getting negative results. She then flooded and they found out she actually was pregnant and thought it was a miscarriage but then about a werk later she was still feeling off and found out she was actually pregnant still. I don't know how common that is though. Hope you are ok flowers when is your scan?

Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 13:27:18

i haven't had a date for a scan yet, but my GP said it should be next week.

I wonder if it is connected to coming off the pill? Even though I was only on it for about a month?

I had something similar to this happen to me when I came off the injection (about 10 years ago). I did bleed heavily but I was spotting/bleeding for about 6 months on and off which is when I was diagnosed with PCOS. But I don't really know how they diagnosed it, just by my symptoms I believe.

Maybe I don't have PCOS and this is all connected? My only classic symptoms of PCOS are irregular periods and weight gain.

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 17-Jun-16 13:29:44

My friend has PCOS and experienced exactly what Jeneral's friend did! So was pregnant and despite enormous months-long bleed now has a 2 year old.

Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 13:57:48

Hmm maybe I should take another pregnancy test then. I certainly haven't felt pregnant at any point though, I knew I was straight away with my dd. I did bleed off and on for the first 10 weeks though.

Themirrorcracked Fri 17-Jun-16 14:27:12

This is happening to my best friend at the moment. She isn't pregnant, isn't in pain/ill but her period just won't stop and is REALLY heavy.

She has been tested for all sorts and no one can find a cause. She is on some medication to stop the bleeding.

Lj8893 Fri 17-Jun-16 17:27:28

That's interesting Mirror, that they can't find a cause to it. Does she suffer from PCOS?

Lj8893 Sat 18-Jun-16 15:20:23

Well the bleeding has slowed right down and is no longer bright red fresh blood. Probably due to the tablets I have been given.

I feel crap today, so so tired and a bit dizzy. Have bad stomach cramps too. I just want to know what this is!

BeyondTellsEveryoneRealFacts Sat 18-Jun-16 15:26:40

Have you been preg testing since feb? Hcg drops in later pregnancy, so it is possible to get a negative test if you are later on than a few weeks?

Lj8893 Sat 18-Jun-16 15:29:20

Well the GP seemed to believe I wasent pregnant/miscarrying as the tests were negative. I have only taken 2 in the last couple of weeks, and 1 at the doctors.

Lj8893 Sat 18-Jun-16 15:30:10

I'm definetly not later than 12ish weeks pregnant if I was though as I can't palpate the top of my uterus.

BG2015 Sat 18-Jun-16 19:46:26

Try posting on the health related boards, they may have more of an idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now