Talk

Advanced search

To think there should a general election if there is a brexit vote

(16 Posts)
namechangeparents Fri 17-Jun-16 09:09:15

People have voted to leave the EU but they have not voted for Boris and his gang. There should be an election so the people can elect a new party of government That might be the Tories and maybe Boris as PM or it might not.

I know we have the 5 year rule but the House of Commons could overturn it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 17-Jun-16 09:11:44

I don't agree with that at all.

The Conservatives are in power after having a referendum in their manifesto. Everybody knew it would happen. They are fulfilling their pledge.

No need for a general election whatsoever.

someonestolemynick Fri 17-Jun-16 09:11:46

I think the government should give me a £1m every year.

MaidOfStars Fri 17-Jun-16 09:14:17

We vote for MPs, not prime ministers. It's up to the party to decide who leads them. Might not be Boris though - Tory outers are a minority.

t4gnut Fri 17-Jun-16 09:14:27

As much as the govt are a bunch of asswipes that is not the system we have here - we don't vote for a president, we vote for a local MP whose party elects a leader.

someonestolemynick Fri 17-Jun-16 09:23:15

Another way to put it:

Why should there be? I don't even think David Cameron should resign--based on an out vote--

The people who want to vote OUT too get rid of Cameron really scare me. You will be unthrowning a moderate to replace with Boris Johnson.
DC promised a referendum which he had delivered. Why should he resign over the outcome.

MaidOfStars Fri 17-Jun-16 09:31:32

Yeah, I agree that there's no clear reason that DC should step down. It might be argued that he is the best person to lead the way through Euripean negotiations (pre-existing relationships and so on)?

neolara Fri 17-Jun-16 09:38:33

God no. I loathe Boris and mates, but if we went to the polls after the referendum I'd be very surprised if the conservatives didn't increase their majority, supported by a emboldened UKIP party. Labour is stuck in some ultra-left wing 1980's throwback mode and the liberals have all but vanished of the scene.

I've always voted and believe it's really important to vote. But at the moment there are no political parties that are anywhere near representing my views and I consider myself a pretty moderate, middle of the road voter. I feel very cross about it.

YourPerception Fri 17-Jun-16 09:42:00

Why do you assumed the conservative party would win again?

neolara Fri 17-Jun-16 16:01:08

I think the conservative party would win because I suspect most of the electorate is like me, firmly in the middle ground. And for them, Corbyn is simply unelectable. That's not denying that for a sizeable number of people he is an appealing proposition. I am just deeply sceptical that this group is anywhere large enough to win ensure a sizeable majority in parliament. I am old enough to remember 1970s and 80s labour politics. It didn't work then and I just don't believe it will work now.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 17-Jun-16 16:03:46

I don't think there should be a general election with an out vote - there will be enough chaos without sorting out a new government as well.

scarlets Fri 17-Jun-16 16:07:18

I think that Cameron will step down in 2018ish as he said he would, and then we'll have Boris or whoever until the GE in 2020. And that's how it should be, Brexit or otherwise.

I can't imagine that Labour would want an election in 2016 - they're about 5pc behind in the polls. They need a bit more time to pick an electable leader I think.

MangoMoon Fri 17-Jun-16 16:29:39

Agree with everyone else, David Cameron has fulfilled his promise for a referendum regardless of the outcome.

It's the Conservative Party that were voted in, not David Cameron.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 17-Jun-16 16:45:51

After a referendum, no. After a Prime Minister steps down, absolutely we should. It's undemocratic to construct a system where people are encouraged to vote for a party based on personalities- and that has been happening for a long time, deny it who will- and then change those personalities.

LurkingHusband Fri 17-Jun-16 16:55:58

We vote for MPs, not prime ministers.

How come then, after the 2010 election, we had loads of people claiming "no one voted for a coalition" ? Make your mind up. Either you vote for your MP - and suck up how parliament turns out - or you vote for your MP in the hope of getting a particular goverment in which case you may be too stupid to be allowed to vote (smileyface)

TSSDNCOP Fri 17-Jun-16 17:31:09

Of course not. The Referendum isn't tied to a particular party, Brexit or Bremain are supported by a mixture of politicians from across the parties. Cameron has said he supports Bremain but obviously he'd need to lead the country if the vote goes to Brexit.

I can't wait until next Thursday so that I never need to hear Brexit or Bremain again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now