Talk

Advanced search

To suggest that the best way to honour the memory of Jo Cox is to vote?

(13 Posts)
DrSeuss Fri 17-Jun-16 08:37:46

As parents, we naturally gravitate to the children she left behind and worry about how they will cope. However, realistically, we can't do much to help them except to respect their privacy.
If we want to honour their mother, we need to vote next Thursday and every time the opportunity presents itself. Vote Remain, Vote Leave, vote whatever you want, just vote! And keep on voting. Jo Cox died while helping her constituents access democracy. We should honour her by using our democratic rights.

TheseLittleEarthquakes Fri 17-Jun-16 08:38:29

Well said. I completely agree.

Samcro Fri 17-Jun-16 08:39:56

yes
I agree

CwtchyQ Fri 17-Jun-16 08:44:58

I have said on another thread - I was undecided, leaning towards Out most days.

Everyone deserves a voice, no one deserves to be attacked for having one.

I will be thinking of Jo as I vote 'In' next week. The change has been brought on not just by the last 24 hrs, but the fact that the Out campaign and some of its more militant followers are alien to me. I think I can brush aside my skepticism of the Eu's future in order not to be stuck on this island with a bunch of raving, illiterate twats. (Of course I know the vast majority of Out voters, are, like my DH, v reasonable people. It's just how I feel now)

venusinscorpio Fri 17-Jun-16 08:54:01

Yes. Totally agree with this. RIP Jo, you were one of the rare breed of politicians who care about more than their own career and interests. Many people have died to give us the right to vote, it's our duty to use it.

Yoksha Fri 17-Jun-16 08:56:23

All points valid. However, I feel all the healthy passion has been sucked out of this referendum for me. Jo Cox's assassination will forever be synonymous with the EU referendum.

RIP Jo Cox.

YourPerception Fri 17-Jun-16 08:58:39

I think improving mental health research so people get help that actually works is another legacy.

RIP flowers

mountaintoclimb Fri 17-Jun-16 09:01:45

No, reacting to the actions of one deranged person is wrong

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 17-Jun-16 09:21:46

I agree Dr Seuss. And doing all we can to encourage a democracy in which people respect one another's views instead of demonising them would be the other way I'd like to see her memory honoured, by politicians and the mainstream media, but also on here and on FB.

Audeca Fri 17-Jun-16 09:22:08

Agree DrSeuss.

@mountaintoclimb

This horrible murder didn't take place in a vacuum.

I'd recommend reading Alex Massie's article in the Spectator (it's been doing the rounds on Facebook, so you may have already seen it):

But we know that even lone lunatics don’t live in a bubble. They are influenced by outside events. That’s why, when there is an act of Islamist terrorism, we quite rightly want to know if it was, implicitly or explicitly, encouraged by other actors. We do not believe – at least we should not – in collective guilt or punishment but we do want to know, with reason, whether an individual assassin was inspired by ideology or religion or hate-speech or any of a hundred other possible motivating factors. We do not hold all muslims accountable for the violence carried out in the name of their prophet but nor can we avoid the ugly, unpalatable, truth that, as far as the perpetrator is concerned, he (it is almost always he) is acting in the service of his view of his religion. He has a cause, no matter how warped it may be. And so we ask who influenced him? We ask, how did it come to this?

So, no, Nigel Farage isn’t responsible for Jo Cox’s murder. And nor is the Leave campaign. But they are responsible for the manner in which they have pressed their argument. They weren’t to know something like this was going to happen, of course, and they will be just as shocked and horrified by it as anyone else.

But, still. Look. When you encourage rage you cannot then feign surprise when people become enraged. You cannot turn around and say, ‘Mate, you weren’t supposed to take it so seriously. It’s just a game, just a ploy, a strategy for winning votes.’

When you shout BREAKING POINT over and over again, you don’t get to be surprised when someone breaks. When you present politics as a matter of life and death, as a question of national survival, don’t be surprised if someone takes you at your word. You didn’t make them do it, no, but you didn’t do much to stop it either.

fusionconfusion Fri 17-Jun-16 09:58:36

I hope we don't make this about "mental health" in any easy way. While the individual who did this may well have had severe mental health issues, the proliferation of hateful rhetoric and intolerance is unlikely to have been irrelevant. I am inclined to think this arose not from an individual act of "lunacy" but a collective lunacy in creating an atmosphere of toxic hatred that acted as a magnet for manifestation of this individual's own distress.

I think we will do both Jo Cox and anyone experiencing mental distress and illness a grave disservice if we opt to see this as apolitical. All actions have a context. The Orlando shooter also had a severe mental illness... but that doesn't nullify the impact of broader social and political realities on the act, if anything it serves to show how deeply divided a society we are living in at present.

fusionconfusion Fri 17-Jun-16 09:59:20

Here is link to Spectator article mentioned above:

blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/a-day-of-infamy/

Ailicece Fri 17-Jun-16 10:05:19

Audeca thank you, thank you for sharing that excellent article! I highly recommend that everyone reads it in full. Spot on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now