Talk

Advanced search

To be sad about my relationship with my dad?

(5 Posts)
Thefaceandtheblonde Thu 16-Jun-16 23:49:16

He's 72. I'm in my 20s. Ever since finishing work (a lot of his identity was tied up in work), he is, for want of a better phrase, just moping around really and waiting to die I guess sadsadsad He's very organised, he volunteers, always up early and presentable, always "doing things", could pass for early 50s...

But he's so bitter and angry! I think he's depressed. He has had counselling and I wonder if some of it is to do with the fact he doesn't have friends in local area? Used to work abroad and has huge amounts of friends across globe but not locally. He has my mum but tires of her and gets moody.

I can't help but feel he has given up sad Whenever I try to engage him in conversation he is interested for a few minutes but not really focusing or concentrating. It's so sad. He's always been a bit like this (head in two places at once) but I'm sad, we might not have decades and decades of quality time left and I want to treasure it.

Thefaceandtheblonde Thu 16-Jun-16 23:50:33

I know it could be a lot worse btw. I guess I'm sad because he has really put a lot into his life and I feel like he should be kicking back and enjoying things now.

summerainbow Fri 17-Jun-16 00:14:28

Can he use Facebook so he keep up warmth his mates. Has he arranged holiday so he can meet up with them

Thefaceandtheblonde Fri 17-Jun-16 00:15:33

No nothing like that. He does use Facebook but he doesn't arrange holidays or meet-ups. He's not very proactive at all.

TipBoov Fri 17-Jun-16 19:39:57

Is there anything local he could join? There's a club in my area where retired people go on day trips and weekends away together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now