Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that Miss Great Britain didn't deserve to be stripped of her title

(93 Posts)
trianglecheese Thu 16-Jun-16 22:59:54

Ok so I'm not one for beauty pageants or anything but the current Miss Great Britain (or should I now say former) is a contestant on ITV2 Love Island. She's had sex with a fellow contestant and now Miss Great Britain have stripped her of her title because of it.
I think it's an awful example of slut shaming in this day and age and a bad example to send to women everywhere that if they have sex they are punished.

I don't agree that she was right to have sex on tv but all the men are given a pat on the back while the women are shamed.
What are your thoughts?

WellErrr Thu 16-Jun-16 23:01:54

I agree with you.

I doubt he's been stripped of any titles, or would have been if he had any.

I don't watch it though so don't know the full story.

Unpropergrammer Thu 16-Jun-16 23:02:23

I don't like her at all, but I think it's appalling that she's been stripped of the title. Reeks of sexism.

pieceofpurplesky Thu 16-Jun-16 23:02:39

It's a juxtaposition. As Miss GB you are supposed to be s wholesome and sweet representative. Shagging some bloke on love island does not fit that Mould and whilst she is entitled as a woman tondo as she like I feel that maybe the lads' mags fee for a
Sacked and naughty Miss GB who shagged on telly are probably higher.
I am
Such a cynic.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 16-Jun-16 23:03:10

was it in the t&c's?

trianglecheese Thu 16-Jun-16 23:08:14

Yesterday the organisation released a statement saying 'although we don't condone this behaviour we have to remember that Zara is a 20 year old single woman and her behaviour is not controlled or dictated by our organisation.'

Whats changed since yesterday?

WorraLiberty Thu 16-Jun-16 23:17:28

Depends on the T&Cs I expect.

and a bad example to send to women everywhere that if they have sex they are punished.

I think that ^^ is a bit ridiculous though because you've missed the fact she had sex on national TV.

You know that's the difference and so will women everywhere.

OddSocksHighHeels Thu 16-Jun-16 23:36:25

I don't know if I'm mixing "Miss Great Britain" up with something else here (tried to check but the website isn't very phone friendly on clicking the entry requirements) but I thought one requirement was that you should be a virgin to enter/win. I wholeheartedly disagree with that as a sentiment by the way but would explain why they've stripped her of the title if she's expected to be "wholesome" and "innocent". Yuk.

yougotitdude Thu 16-Jun-16 23:38:29

For having sex????!?? I can only assume the decision maker is a bitter spinster with lots of cats.

borntohula Thu 16-Jun-16 23:39:37

who cares if anyone had sex on tv though... we know it happens, no one who watches that shit will be surprised or offended

StarChaser99 Thu 16-Jun-16 23:50:21

I agree, I think this is a terrible decision. I watch the programme and yes, she had sex on TV, however, I actually think the way she handled the situation showed a huge amount of dignity and was actually admirable.

Zara made a mistake, it was clear that this was something she regretted for many different reasons and she knew she had got carried away with the moment,

She then proceeded to be horrendously slut-shamed by a number of the other girls in house despite the fact they had done more deplorable things.

I actually think Zara is acting as a good role model for young girls, she certainly wasn't glamorising casual sex, in fact much the opposite (but who cares if she was - she is entitled to do whatever makes her happy) and she showed that everyone makes mistakes. She took complete responsibility for her actions and demonstrated class and dignity in dealing with the situation (imo).

Although not sure why I am surprised a beauty pageant took an anti-feminist approach to this.

WorraLiberty Thu 16-Jun-16 23:54:00

You're missing the point borntohula

No-one has to watch it to know she had sex on national TV. They only have to read the news...or this thread for example (I've never watched the show and had no idea until the OP started this thread).

I couldn't care less who has sex or where they choose to do it but I'm sure the organisers of the pageant do. Especially if she's signed a contract to agree not to do that sort of thing.

Papergirl1968 Thu 16-Jun-16 23:59:49

Going off at a tangent slightly, but my DDs, just 12 and nearly 15, love this show. It doesn't sound very appropriate for them. I stopped them watching Geordie Shore because of all the swearing, and they're not into Made in Chelsea or nothing like that. Can anyone who watches Love Island advise?

borntohula Fri 17-Jun-16 00:00:16

well, fair enough then, i can only imagine she was aware that she would lose her title as 'Miss GB' and thought she could achieve 'different' goals... maybe she's a firm believer in 'no such thing as bad publicity' grin

Pinkheart5915 Fri 17-Jun-16 00:01:24

I agree with you completely, just been telling dh all about it while he looks at me confused he doesn't watch love island weird one I married.

Is the whole beauty contest/ miss gb thing based on how sexy/pretty you look? Yet the tiny bit of something sexual itv shows and they strip her of her crown.

Was also shocked at the way other girls treated her on the show, haven't most of them had sex anyway? So I don't see why they put on judge pants.
I think a lot of women & men have got caught up in the moment on a date or meet in a club and ended up having sex and that's what happened to zara.

borntohula Fri 17-Jun-16 00:01:26

i will add here that i have never seen the show

PlymouthMaid1 Fri 17-Jun-16 00:02:05

They have to be a virgin? I am amazed they get enough entrants to make a competition then.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 17-Jun-16 00:03:19

I'm sure she will have signed a contract and shagging on tv was in breach of said contract. So no, she wasn't shamed as a woman, she had her title revoked for breach of contract. Yabu

borntohula Fri 17-Jun-16 00:05:05

plymouth indeed ! and how long would they be expected to stay a virgin for? not saying sex is the be all and end all obviously but realistically...

WorraLiberty Fri 17-Jun-16 00:06:13

I've never seen it either borntohula and I must admit I do find it strange that anyone who enters beauty pageants, would be particularly held up as a 'role model' in 2016 grin confused

But if she's in breach of contract then she's in breach of contract.

I can't see the virgin thing being true though Oddsocks shock

ChipsandGuac Fri 17-Jun-16 00:07:35

Papergirl I wouldn't let my 12 year old watch it. So far, half the couples have had sex and they've shown it.

OddSocksHighHeels Fri 17-Jun-16 00:10:05

I checked google - it used to be that they couldn't be married or have had children (not that they should be a virgin) but they changed it in 2012. I did say my memory might not be the best there! Sorry about that, I'll be quiet now blush

WorraLiberty Fri 17-Jun-16 00:10:54

And I also disagree with this from the OP...

I don't agree that she was right to have sex on tv but all the men are given a pat on the back while the women are shamed.

A man in breach of contract would be held to account in the same way.

If 'Mr GB' had signed a contract agreeing to present a wholesome public image and then fucked someone on national TV, I'm quite sure he would be in breach of contract too and treated accordingly.

WorraLiberty Fri 17-Jun-16 00:12:20

Oddsocks I was just trying to imagine the interview and subsequent 'tests' blush grin

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 17-Jun-16 00:14:39

Yeah but I'd bet my bottom dollar that Mr GB wouldn't be contractually obliged to portray a wholesome image,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now