Talk

Advanced search

To ask for zombie threads to be locked

(36 Posts)
kawliga Thu 16-Jun-16 16:17:06

Gah, just poured my heart out on a zombie thread. Not for the first time. Nothing worse than giving advice to a poster only to realize she had that problem in 2009 and she has definitely moved on by now.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 16-Jun-16 16:19:56

Shit, isn't it? ! God knows why any thread is kept after a year tbhconfused

LazyJournalistsQuoteMN Thu 16-Jun-16 16:22:00

Yadnbu grin I've reported a zombie thread from 2014, several times this week and it still not showing up as a zombie thread. hmm

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 16-Jun-16 16:23:58

I like threads being kept as they often came up with usefull advice so stopped me asking stupid questions again.
BUT they could be locked, as they are usually re-opened by people with an axe to grind about something or an advert

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 16-Jun-16 16:27:22

YABU according to MNHQ.

The official line is that the OP might want to resurrect a thread, but really - how often has that happened? And how often has that happened to a thread 12 months old? hmm

kawliga Thu 16-Jun-16 16:35:09

Also the OP could easily start a new thread if she wants to update on what happened in her story.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 16-Jun-16 16:36:21

Yanbu what a great idea

TheDrsDocMartens Thu 16-Jun-16 16:39:55

It regularly gets asked and refused. Locking makes a lot of sense as does deleting threads from more topics.

Katedotness1963 Thu 16-Jun-16 16:41:54

I almost posted on an old thread about hoovers today.

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 16-Jun-16 16:42:11

I think there is a little zombie cartoon icon on some of them but it would be helpful to have a "last message posted on..." Date next to the thread title so you can look at current threads for example.

RuggerHug Thu 16-Jun-16 16:53:38

YANBU although I very nearly posted on an old one today blush locked would work with a new thread if OP wanted to update (after a year..)

wol1968 Thu 16-Jun-16 16:58:42

Yes, good idea, except it might take a bit more work than the 3 and a half volunteers that MNHQ have on duty can handle (let's face it, they can't even keep on top of the trolls half the time).

redexpat Thu 16-Jun-16 17:18:20

I have seen one thread resurrected by an op in relationships.

StarryIllusion Thu 16-Jun-16 20:41:19

What about locking them after a year but giving the option to the op to unlock it? Would that be workable?

MamehaSan Thu 16-Jun-16 20:45:56

Been caught out by this myself a few times too. I think the problem is that when a zombie is first resurrected, the zombie alert is present at the bottom of the screen. But after a few / one (?) posts, the alert disappears.

ghostyslovesheep Thu 16-Jun-16 20:46:33

If you read threads as a whole page rather than individual pages Zombie threads are MUCH easier to spot - as are ZOMBIE alerts

I am baffled as to why people continue to click through endless pages!

ThatsMyStapler Thu 16-Jun-16 20:48:00

surely with the wonders of technology they could lock a thread after 60 days of no action????

MamehaSan Thu 16-Jun-16 20:48:28

Posted too soon! I think there should be a permanent "old thread" warning at the top of the page so that it's clear that it's a zombie before you get suckered into reading it all. At least then you can decide whether to carry on or not.

TheDrsDocMartens Thu 16-Jun-16 21:05:12

I think lock and the op can ask for it unlocked. Or don't lock relationships, post natal clubs etc which may be returned to.

ALemonyPea Thu 16-Jun-16 21:10:22

If they can't lock it, then maybe put something at the top of a zombie thread so you don't read half the bloody thing before realising. Or highlight the Op in a zombie colour so you know straight away.

shitchef Thu 16-Jun-16 21:26:53

YA definitely NBU. Why not at least put the warning at the top in huge letters?

TipBoov Fri 17-Jun-16 19:43:35

Locking would make sense. Especially if it meant getting rid of that ridiculous zombie cartoon.

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Fri 17-Jun-16 19:48:08

Of course locking any thread over a year old would make sense. I can't think of any reason not to do this. The OP can either start a new one to update or ask HQ to unlock. If the only reason not to ditch these stupid zombie threads is that either the OP might come back (pigs might bloody fly too!) or the 'information might be useful to someone' (who? Someone who's too stupid to Google?). Is there an official line on just why threads from some topics are kept in perpetuity?

dodobookends Fri 17-Jun-16 19:57:01

Someone who's too stupid to Google?
Duchess, quite often the old zombie threads are found by people who have Googled.

VoyageOfDad Fri 17-Jun-16 20:22:21

Can we leave dadsnet out of the equasion. All our threads are zombie threads. We like the moss that grows on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now