Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be pissed off that some twatty dog-owners have made my DC terrified of dogs?

(85 Posts)
TarkaLiotta Thu 16-Jun-16 10:59:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LightDrizzle Thu 16-Jun-16 11:03:52

YANBU

I have had dogs for the last 20 years. If a dog doesn't have reliable recall and is likely to approach other dogs/ poeple, it should be on a lead in public places if there are other people present.

I can see this must be a disaster for you. Hopefully someone will be along with informed suggestions as to how you might desensitise your DCS.

chanice Thu 16-Jun-16 11:04:35

Something similar happened to my youngest who used to love dogs until he was about 3. We were walking on the canal and a massive fluffy dog came charging at him.
The owner made no effort to move him on and when my son started screaming she was saying to my son " your scaring him".
I was telling her to take her dog and move on but she was just standing there like she was waiting for the dog to finish, we couldn't move the dog kept following us.
So no your not being unreasonable some people need to have more control over their dogs or they should keep them on leads and appreciate not everyone wants their dog near them.

RiverTam Thu 16-Jun-16 11:05:43

I hate the 'it's friendly and just wants to play'. Guess what, it's not just about your dog, and you're an idiot if you can't recognise a child frightened by your dog.

DD had a puppy jump up at her when she was about two, the owner (who was training the puppies, I'd seen him several times training them in this park) was straight there, very apologetic, puppy under control. I didn't mind (even though it did make DD scared of dogs for a while) because I knew he was training them.

I do think dog training should be mandatory. The amount of people I've seen in the park calling 10+ times for their dog, naice MC types with labs called Monty that have shite recall. Give me a hard man with a staffie any day, that dog's not going to mess about!

TarkaLiotta Thu 16-Jun-16 11:10:36

WeAreTheOthers Thu 16-Jun-16 11:11:39

YAB a bit U. I appreciate your kids were scared but as far as I know as long as it's under control the dog can be off the lead and dogs generally do just want to play. Why should the dog owner have to keep a perfectly safe dog on a lead just because kids might be scared?

FlyingElbows Thu 16-Jun-16 11:14:02

I've said this a million times before but I firmly believe that it should be law for dogs to be on a lead in public. We should have designated dog areas for exercise off lead. Very very few pet dogs have good recall and it matters not a jot how lovely and friendly they are. I have owned dogs all my life and I love them but even I don't want some over friendly soggy monster leaping all over me.

Kittyrobin Thu 16-Jun-16 11:14:17

Yanbu. Had a puppy nip through dds tights the other day. Dog should have been on a lead.
Lots of children and adults are scared/uncomfortable around dogs. I really hate them coming near me.
Hope your dd is ok now.

TarkaLiotta Thu 16-Jun-16 11:14:53

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 16-Jun-16 11:14:58

The law is under control, but that means as an owner you can recall you dog and stop it bothering people.
As I dog owner I never allow my boy to bother people. If families express an interest in there children meeting him I will ask him to sit and wait so that the entire interaction is calm and controlled for everyone.

FlyingElbows Thu 16-Jun-16 11:16:08

And... I often think if you flipped this subject and instead of dogs it was ruddy great spiders people were walking then people might understand just how scared some people are by your lovely friendly dog!

PetraStrorm Thu 16-Jun-16 11:16:19

Because if the owner can't/won't recall the dog when it's causing a nuisance to other people, it should be on a lead. It's one of the most basic rules of dog ownership. And I'm speaking as the owner of a dog, and the parent of a child who is nervous around bouncy loud dogs.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 16-Jun-16 11:16:46

Get a plastic bottle - empty water bottle or something similar.
Put a load of small and larger stones in it.
Fill it to about a third full.
Take it with you on your way to school.
When a dog approaches shake it at the dog.
They should soon run away.

My OH and his DD's are scared of dogs (although they now have one) but when out walking I think it's understandable.
They all stand behind me and I just give the dog a good stroke and talk to the dog. They soon calm down.
But with autism I can't imagine how that goes?

LarrytheCucumber Thu 16-Jun-16 11:25:07

Had a similar experience with a puppy recently. It looked a bit like a greyhound so was quite large.
It ran up and jumped up at my granddaughter who was clearly upset.
Owner 'It's OK, it's a puppy, it just wants to play.' How is it OK to allow your dog to jump up against a child who is clearly very unhappy? They pulled the dog away walked on a bit and let it go and surprise surprise it ran back and started jumping up at my granddaughter again. They pulled it off again and went off. She wasn't hurt, but she was frightened, having had bad experiences with dogs in the past.
A few minutes later we passed a woman with a dog on an extended lead. As soon as she saw us she shortened the dog's lead and waited for us to pass, all without pausing in her conversation with her friend. We all thanked her and passed without incident, grateful that some dog owners do anticipate situations and react accordingly.

TarkaLiotta Thu 16-Jun-16 11:28:52

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Thu 16-Jun-16 11:34:38

I used to have a GSD x wolfhound. When he was a, huge, puppy he ran off to investigate the pockets of another dog walker. I was ashamed as I thought we'd cracked the recall. Luckily the other dog owner was fine, despite my dog begging for a biccy.

He was on the lead for quite a while after that and I tried to walk him when not small kids were about. We cracked it and he was a real gent after that. (I used to get him in the 'down' position rather than recall if he was a way off as running back to me could look equally like he was bounding about).

GipsyDanger Thu 16-Jun-16 11:35:24

i agree that dogs should be kept on leads. All dogs are capable of biting and owners who think otherwise need a good slap about the ears. They are animals not 'part of the family' or 'think that their human' and some need to be reminded about that. I love my dogs. In fact my (rather large dog) was attacked by a dog off the lead now he will strike first if a dog comes to him. Keep them on leads it's not that bloody difficult

Maybebabybee Thu 16-Jun-16 11:36:35

This exact same thread literally appears every week.

It's getting tedious.

GipsyDanger Thu 16-Jun-16 11:37:13

There is no such thing as a "perfectly safe" dog

WeAreTheOthers Thu 16-Jun-16 11:42:01

Sorry, was only half reading the OP and missed the bit where he was bouncing around them (as opposed to just sniffing). Did you say something like 'sorry, they're scared of dogs'? Perhaps if there's a next time say that your DCs don't like them. Of course if the dog owner still does nothing soaker the shit out of them.

TarkaLiotta Thu 16-Jun-16 11:42:44

LarrytheCucumber Thu 16-Jun-16 11:42:55

Probably because it is such a common problem Maybe.

Maybebabybee Thu 16-Jun-16 11:46:16

Is it? I live near two large parks in inner city London where a great many large dogs are walked. I have walked in both daily for over 2 years and not once have I ever been intimidated by a dog.

And it is full of Staffies and other breeds commonly touted as problem dogs.

Yet on MN nearly everyone seems to live in places where such dogs roam untrained and rabid off lead, terrifying all children. hmm The owners of these dogs are always rude, too.

TarkaLiotta Thu 16-Jun-16 11:48:29

TarkaLiotta Thu 16-Jun-16 11:49:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now