Talk

Advanced search

To pull out of exam marking?

(53 Posts)
katemiddletonsnudeheels Wed 15-Jun-16 20:44:38

I have concluded I am terrible at it, feel like crying and am getting absolutely no support.

Has anyone done this before? Would I be better ringing up tomorrow and apologising but saying I can't do it?

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Wed 15-Jun-16 20:45:21

Have you spoken to your team leader?

cherrypez Wed 15-Jun-16 20:45:58

I'm also marking at the moment and am feeling shit about myself! Is it your first time? What subject?

katemiddletonsnudeheels Wed 15-Jun-16 20:51:05

It's my first time <sob>

Thought it would be a useful little money-maker - ha!

ImperialBlether Wed 15-Jun-16 20:53:56

Is it online marking? I've done that and it was awful. I didn't mind the paper marking when you'd have a weekend to go through the mark scheme. All the online training was just dreadful.

DramaAlpaca Wed 15-Jun-16 20:55:52

DH did exam marking a few years ago & he found it was very stressful. Each paper took a lot longer to mark than he expected it to. He was told not to spend so long on each one but he wanted to do his best for each candidate so didn't want to rush the marking.

He completed the job, but decided not to do it again.

PetraDelphiki Wed 15-Jun-16 20:58:32

Is this the stuff with Cambridge exams that was advertised on here? I was offered 2000 scripts but decided I didn't want to commit to that for my first time! Hoping sometime they will let me try a smaller batch first to see if I like going it...

acasualobserver Wed 15-Jun-16 20:59:12

You would not be the first person to send their scripts back. As long as you don't mind blotting your copybook with that exam board, then do it. Life's awful short.

MargotsDevil Wed 15-Jun-16 20:59:40

Is it SQA online?

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Wed 15-Jun-16 21:00:23

2,000 scripts?!

Good grief.

I am not doing exam marking this year. Should go back to it next year but am dreading the online marking - have only done paper scripts up until now.

PetraDelphiki Wed 15-Jun-16 21:01:13

It was 2000 year 3 ish online maths scripts but yes!!!

cherrypez Wed 15-Jun-16 21:01:24

Ok, as it's your first time I feel better equipped to help you feel better. How many papers in are you? I PROMISE after about 30 or 40 you will start to feel better about your abilities and more confident in the marks you're awarding. If it's the exam board I'm with, the online training isn't great, and if you're using RM assessor it can be really bloody complicated at first! Please ask any questions you want to if this sound familiar to you smile

Cosmiccreepers203 Wed 15-Jun-16 21:02:31

I'm marking as well at the moment. I've had an awful time with standardisation. Felt like giving up last night but had a pep talk from my team leader. I've taken a break today and am going to start again tomorrow with a fresh head. Maybe ask them to reduce your quota. You can always pick up more later. There's always scripts left after the deadline for those who are still interested.

Mirandawest Wed 15-Jun-16 21:03:17

What sort of exams are you marking? Have you got in touch with your team leader and what have they been like?

I've only marked the exams I mark online so I don't know what it's like changing from one to another. I do find it a lot easier using an external monitor than trying to mark on a laptop. And at least it is light later at night and earlier in the morning than it is when I do this in the winter.

Mirandawest Wed 15-Jun-16 21:04:07

Mine are done through RM assessor and was realising this is my 11th session and I often want to kill it.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Wed 15-Jun-16 21:04:49

Thanks cherry, you have soothed me, I need wine I think! <calms self down>

londonmummy1966 Wed 15-Jun-16 21:06:36

How do you get marking work? Used to do it years ago for accountancy/tax training and exam boards but would be interested in doing year 3 maths etc

cherrypez Wed 15-Jun-16 21:07:47

Don't pull out, the money is great!

PoppyStellar Wed 15-Jun-16 21:09:33

I sympathise OP. Marking is horrendous! I have done exam marking for several years. The money used to be good but I'm still not convinced it was sufficient for the sheer amount of time and energy expended. The last time I really couldn't get on with it at all. I would advise you ring the exam board in the morning, explain you are struggling with your allocation. It is likely they will try and talk you out of giving it up completely but they may be able to reduce your allocation to a more manageable level. The earlier you let them know you are struggling the easier it will be for them to find someone else to mark your allocation. Don't feel bad about it. You are not the first examiner to find it tough and you won't be the last. There are some examiners out there who will be glad of the extra marking they will be able to do because of you.

On the other hand if you feel you could stick at it, it might be worth persevering. I don't know what subject you're marking but I used to do English, Media etc. Once you've done the first 50 or so essays it does get a bit easier. Also, if you are marking foundation papers (do they still do foundation level?) there's always the chance a pupil will have left his or her paper completely blank and this was always a cause for celebration as it meant £2.70 for a script I hadn't had to actually mark. I did obviously feel sorry for the poor kid who had totally fucked up their exams too (am not completely heartless!) but when it's marking season you take your little moments of joy where you can get them.

cherrypez Wed 15-Jun-16 21:14:40

Ha ha Poppy I mark higher paper so I can only imagine the elation of opening a blank script...I get ones where they have written on EVERY.DAMN.PAGE.

DairyingLass Wed 15-Jun-16 21:18:16

I'm on with rm assessor marking at the mo ... I love it! My normal income basically covers the normal expenses of day to day living whereas this gives me the extras ... Hols, new wood burner, new dishwasher, meals out, treats for me and the kids smile. Just get your head down, focus, you'll soon get your eye in. Think of the money! I tend to do an hour flat out then take a 15 min break then another hour then break.... You've got to discipline yourself and not get distracted especially if it's a gorgeous sunny day out there!

EarthboundMisfit Wed 15-Jun-16 21:24:54

If you feel you can't go on, tell them. There are more markers available. However, I'd recommend doing a few more if you've just started as it gets easier. Your team leader can support you.

GiraffesAndButterflies Wed 15-Jun-16 21:27:22

I would say:
Keep your team leader and the board well informed, the biggest inconvenience is someone who says "It's fine it's fine" the whole time and then lets them down right at the end of the marking period.
Better to mark a smaller amount reliably than have to have everything you've marked re-done because you weren't following the standard.
Keep going with a reduced allocation if you can: it will help you next year if you are already familiar with the systems and processes, and "just" having a new paper and mark scheme to learn will be a lot more manageable by comparison.

It's by no means unheard of for new examiners to struggle on their first time, but in my experience following the first two points above gives you a good chance of being invited back anyway.

scaryteacher Wed 15-Jun-16 21:28:19

Your T/L should be supporting you (I hope it's not me!), and calling you or emailing if you need it. It is hard at first, especially with OLS, but there will come a point where the markscheme just seems to take root in your brain and click. Honest!

MargotsDevil Wed 15-Jun-16 21:33:00

I'm hoping you're not one of my team sad
If it is SQA and assessor it really does get better! wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now