to think posting on MN 'belief' threads makes no difference as people have a fixed belief system?

(11 Posts)
Egosumquisum Tue 14-Jun-16 23:03:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Egosumquisum Tue 14-Jun-16 23:13:38

WorraLiberty Tue 14-Jun-16 23:19:39

I agree because I think our beliefs come largely from our own experiences of life, and those can be vastly different to others.

I like people in general and I find them fascinating. Sometimes when a person's ingrained beliefs puzzle me, they'll tell me a bit more about their upbringing/life experience and often I can 'get' where they're coming from, even if I don't agree with them at all.

Birdsgottafly Tue 14-Jun-16 23:23:41

Depending on your educational background, you know that you should be challenging your beliefs, to confirm them iyswim.

The debates on here, aren't long enough, or in depth enough, to do anything, but skim the surface, of any issue.

There's all sorts of other 'Human Nature', traits at play, such as needing a Scapegoat, or a group to belong to/to hate.

What I find terrifying, is that it's been proven that our bigotry removes empathy, which explains the killing of neighbours etc, because of a perceived difference and you see that, on a lesser scale, every day.

You can easily see how the hatred of Jews, was created, by how the likes of the Daily Mail prints absolute lies, but masses go along with it, without considering the bigger picture.

I'm just grateful that I live in a Society with the protection of the laws that we have.

Egosumquisum Tue 14-Jun-16 23:24:30

almondpudding Wed 15-Jun-16 00:00:56

Something must make people change their views or society would be completely static apart from generational change.

LifeIsGoodish Wed 15-Jun-16 00:05:42

Why do you assume that it's about changing beliefs? Perhaps it can be about sharing beliefs, or opening people's minds to other ways of thinking/living...

No need necessarily for a Damascene moment. Change can be gradual. Or even un-necessary.

almondpudding Wed 15-Jun-16 00:11:11

That's a really good point, LifeIsGoodish.

Sometimes by understanding someone else's perspective better we can avoid getting into conflicts.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 15-Jun-16 00:15:26

I can think of a couple of times my beliefs have radically changed based on MN.

There are plenty of other times I'm right they haven't. It's worth it for the couple, I think.

MangoMoon Wed 15-Jun-16 00:26:56

I agree -ish!

Like Worra said, I find people fascinating - how they tick, how they arrived at the point of view they have etc.

MN has opened my eyes to so many different viewpoints & opinions, even though I had thought I was already quite open minded - I see the same posters who on one thread I'll wholeheartedly agree with and on another I'll be aghast at their stance.

I like MN for its anonymity, posters say things very honestly & often bluntly and you get to hear all sorts of different people's real feelings, much more so than in rl.

Atenco Wed 15-Jun-16 01:22:36

Yes, it is important to listen or read what other people have to say and we do learn from them. Sometimes we find someone has a similar opinion to our own but a useful different angle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now