To post here instead of site stuff in the hope that something might get done?

(41 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Toooldtobearsed Tue 14-Jun-16 12:26:17

I am very, very good at rtft.

I am very, very bad at remembering to check to date of the OP on every thread I read.

I am very, very fed up at wading through several dozen, million pages of posts only to find it is a zombie thread.

Surely, for the love of God, MNHQ could add a zombie warning at the beginning of the thread?

I know this has come up in site stuff time and time again, but just trying here for the clamour of voices to join in!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 14-Jun-16 13:16:32

Yes please! Especially as zombie threads pop up all the time now!

TellAStory Tue 14-Jun-16 13:21:11

I Couldn't agree more.

I got caught out again this morning!!

Birdsgottafly Tue 14-Jun-16 13:31:17

Yes, we do need that changing.

I was reading through a thread and saw a post by me, got a bit scared, thinking my forgetfulness was getting worse and then discovered it was from 2013.

MrsHathaway Tue 14-Jun-16 14:00:53

YANBU

CrazyDuchess Tue 14-Jun-16 14:02:06

Agreed - tbh I don't understand why they cannot be locked??

MrsSpecter Tue 14-Jun-16 14:04:06

HQ dont read threads, you need to contact them with this.

Numberoneisgone Tue 14-Jun-16 14:12:07

There is a zombie thread warning but only for the poster who reignites the thread I think.

Laiste Tue 14-Jun-16 14:44:55

HQ dont read threads, you need to contact them with this.

Or ... lets report this thread. Over and over. Until it's as annoying as ....

FINDING OUT THE THREAD YOU'VE JUST SPENT HALF AN HOUR CAREFULLY READING IS YEARS OUT OF DATE !

I agree OP. A little red warning along side a thread title if it's over a year old couldn't be that hard surely.

<reports self>

MrsHathaway Tue 14-Jun-16 14:48:08

There are good reasons to revive zombies (updates, mainly). I think it would be sensible for them to lock automatically after something like three months, but unlockable on request to MNHQ. There couldn't be more than one request a week or so.

Would also stop people accidentally reviewing their own pram grin

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Tue 14-Jun-16 14:50:12

I agree. It's usually a deleted post that makes me check the date as it just says message deleted or something like that rather than a link to talk guidelines that we have now. It's very annoying.

Laiste Tue 14-Jun-16 15:02:32

Alice sometimes if the OP writes something to do with dealing with the issue tomorrow or the like, i might quickly glance at the date of the thread to see if this is indeed tomorrow, IYSWIM ... and then i might see the date as xmas 2000 and bloody 10 or something and the horrible zombie annoyance kicks in angry

Even worse if you get all the way to the end and start composing a reply before you spot it. Doubly worse if you post your reply and then realise you've bumped the damn thing!

Baconyum Tue 14-Jun-16 15:06:29

Yep! Almost caught out this morning.

araiba Tue 14-Jun-16 15:14:09

I am very, very bad at remembering to check to date of the OP on every thread I read

get better and feel good you have solved your own little problem

who cares if they are zombie threads or fresh- if it was an interesting read thats whats important

MiffleTheIntrovert Tue 14-Jun-16 15:15:31

Awww then you will deny me the pleasure of reading a particular post and agreeing in my head then realising I wrote said post years ago.

Who was it that replied to a thread they had actually started themselves? grin

IceRoadDucker Tue 14-Jun-16 15:26:50

who cares if they are zombie threads or fresh- if it was an interesting read thats whats important

Exactly. I will never understand the ire over "zombie threads."

somewheresomehow Tue 14-Jun-16 15:36:12

I have said this as well !
All mnhq have to do is put 'zombie thread' at the top so simple and tech should be able to do it

thedogstinks Tue 14-Jun-16 15:41:34

I like it when I come across a post and think "oooooh, I agree with her, and then realise it is, in fact, me.

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Tue 14-Jun-16 15:48:45

That's all well and good if you only read the thread but many posters, myself included have read zombie threads and thought 'I could give some helpful advice here' and write out a post only to learn that the 9mo food refusing baby is now actually sitting their SATS exams and I've completely wasted my time.

MrsDoylesTeaParty Tue 14-Jun-16 15:53:38

Araiba- I agree, does it matter when they are from? The thread will no longer be helpful to the OP but certainly to other readers.. When we reply to an OP on here we're really posting to thousands. Why would MNHQ let people reply to zombie threads if it was such a bad thing?

londonrach Tue 14-Jun-16 15:57:41

Please. Ive reported your post op to bring mnhq attention to this. Hate wasting time on zombie posts...👻💀👻👽👻👺💀

IceRoadDucker Tue 14-Jun-16 15:57:57

...and I've completely wasted my time.

Whereas it's a good use of your time to contribute to a live thread? confused

I don't get it. It's not just the OP that reads replies to a thread. It's often people from searches or search engines in the same predicament--and that's why these threads get bumped so often. The individual situation might have a time limit but the overall quandary and advice doesn't.

exexpat Tue 14-Jun-16 16:01:50

Yes, a zombie warning at the beginning as well as the end of a thread (and one which sticks around for more than a couple of new posts) would save a lot of time and trouble. If people are aware it is an old thread and still want to read and post, then fine, but mostly when a thread is years old, it would be better for whoever revives it to start a new thread of their own.

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Tue 14-Jun-16 16:04:26

I doubt that many people are going to sift through the pages and pages of 'Why has this been bumped? Zombieeeeee thread!' Type posts in order to read the few post with actual advice somewhere in the middle of the revival.

manicinsomniac Tue 14-Jun-16 16:06:49

Personally, I think YABU. It doesn't matter when a thread is from. If it's interesting enough to read then it's served it's purpose. If it's boring you'd click off it anyway.

I really don't see the problem in resurrecting an old thread - it makes more sense than starting a new one if you're writing about the same topic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now