Broken glass in the bin

(6 Posts)
Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 14-Jun-16 08:00:06

My ILs are quite difficult people so need a bit if help with this

We have a 2 year old, a 3 year old and a 6 month old. The ILs had said they would come and look after them on Saturday night so we could go out - very nice.

However, I am nervous about leaving the DC with them as FIL has literally no sense whatsoever and doesn't help MIL with what is really a 2 man job.

Examples include me coming back home to find the baby bawling in the same room as FIL. FIL is reading the paper and completely ignoring her. MIL is up the stairs. Baby is normally very relaxed but Is shuddering and choking by the time I pick her up - so obviously been crying for sometime.

FIL deciding to go out for a paper and - if I hadn't stopped him - leaving our front door wedged open with a shoe confused. My handbag with keys etcis in the hall and the children could have got out. FIL had his car stolen last year by thieves who came in their open back door and took the keys confused

However, yesterday I was merrily ramming rubbish in the bin when I felt something really sharp (fortunately) pushing up through my fingers. I dug about and found that FIL had obviously broken a wine glass. We've told them not to worry about washing up and just to put everything in the dishwasher - but he still insists on badly washing everything up with a cloth I use for wiping the surfaces. The glass has just been stuffed in the bin. Not wrapped in anything. And it was the broken stem of the wine glass. If I had pushed about 10mm in the opposite direction, it would have gone straight through my finger.

I'm pissed off about this and nicely ask DH if he can mention something to his parents - nicely along the lines of its fine of something breaks but can they just wrap it up and pop it in the outside bin. DH does his usual minimising about his parents' crap behaviour and tells me not to be "silly"

They want to look after the DC again so we can go away for the weekend (we woukd take baby) but I feel that FIL is a total liability and DH won't deal with it. Options are (1) just refuse to go away or (2) bring it up with FIL myself. But I feel I can't constantly police his behaviour.

My parents are very sensible and helpful so these kind of situations just wouldn't arise. AIBU about this - do most people's parents/ILs have moments of acting like complete bloody idiots when looking after their DCs and should I just be sucking this up?

captainproton Tue 14-Jun-16 08:07:25

I have 3 children the same ages as you. So there is someone as crazy as me who has children this close. Honestly with these age gaps I consider it hardcore parenting. You really have to be in 3 places at once, no downtime unless everyone under 4 foot is asleep. I really, really would not let anyone look after my 3 no matter how well meaning and nice they are. Because looking after 1 small child is relatively straightforward, 2 small children are tricky, but 3 requires military planning.

I have put my life on hold really until the youngest is 3. I accept I am perhaps being a martyr but I couldn't trust anyone with them unless they were a qualified childminder or who had recent experience with lookin after lots of small children. But on the bright side of you plan to stop at 3, you aren't going to be thrust back into baby baby stage again, when perhaps others who have sensible gaps will have to revisit night feeds etc.

Jimjamjoos Tue 14-Jun-16 08:11:28

I would just leave it for another year or so. The kids' safety comes first. It's a two person job at least and fil isn't interested.

cosmicglittergirl Tue 14-Jun-16 08:13:23

FIL goes out leaving the door open with a shoe leaving the kids unattended?!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 14-Jun-16 08:35:33

I think I have a DH problem to be honest. He has form for minimising their crap behaviour

In a way, I actually just want to to be open about it so the next time they come, I think I'll just mention it.

Going out at night is fine but I think we need to leave the going away for a night thing at the moment, even with the baby.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 14-Jun-16 08:36:29

cosmic - Yes. I have truly never met anyone so idiotic. MIL was in the loo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now