Talk

Advanced search

to knock neighbour's door at 2am

(76 Posts)

To ask them to stop their dog from barking?

It's a big American bulldog (I've been told) and it's bark is so loud.

It was going off on one from 11.30-11.50pm, which was just as my sleeping tablets were starting to work. They only make me drowsy once, so being kept awake in that window is frustrating.

Dog starts up again at 2. I put onsie on and knocked but... Seems like she can sleep through it.

Was it unreasonable to knock in those circs? I'd never normally knock on anyone's door after 9pm unless specifically invited to.

lalalalyra Tue 14-Jun-16 02:33:13

Not unreasonable. I'd knock again tomorrow and speak to them. That's a quite unacceptable time for a dog to be creating.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 14-Jun-16 02:34:02

You don't make your post very clear. Do you mean you knocked and didn't get an answer and youve came to the conclusion. She can sleep. If so. She may have got scared hearing the knock. Even though you did have valid reasons. Nothing worse than not being able to sleep. It's a nightmare. However if I got a knock at that hour. I'd literally shit myself.
Or did it happen that way. Where by did you knock have words about the dog and did she say. "Well I can sleep. If so she's bang out of line. She might be able to sleep, but she's not on sleeping tablets.

WiddlinDiddlin Tue 14-Jun-16 05:57:18

If i were on my own I wouldn't have opened the door at 2am - also, that would have made my dogs go NUTS and they would then have taken bloody ages to settle down again, so it really wouldn't have helped you.

I would have waited (fuming!) to speak to her in normal waking hours about the dogs barking, if in fact it is unreasonable noise.

StealthPolarBear Tue 14-Jun-16 06:00:55

You wouldn't be scared about someone knocking at 2pm if your household was making a load of noise though surely

StealthPolarBear Tue 14-Jun-16 06:01:21

Widd dog was already nuts

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Tue 14-Jun-16 06:11:55

Not unreasonable of you to knock as her dog was already so loud at that exact time.

Not unreasonable of her not to answer the door at 2 am - I suspect lots of people wouldn't. Especially if she is used to the dog and was sleeping it might not have been blindingly obvious to her as it was to you that it must be a neighbour about the barking, and if she was half asleep and the bog is an infuriating antisocially loud big softy she would have possibly been scared.

Go around in the day time though - that noise is totally unacceptable at 2 am and she needs to deal with it. Be polite and friendly and take the approach that she will be nice and helpful (don't be confrontational but do be firm if she tries to brush you off) and hopefully it should go well.

Good luck!

WannaBe Tue 14-Jun-16 06:12:15

I wouldn't open the door at 2 AM. And depending on how often the dog barks at that hour I might assume it was barking because of someone outside iyswim hence why I wouldn't answer the door.

If this is a regular occurrence though I would definitely go round and have a word during the day. If a one off though I would put it down to these things happen.

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Tue 14-Jun-16 06:13:25

Actually maybe she didn't hear the knock over the sound of the dog barking shock

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Tue 14-Jun-16 06:15:48

If someone knocked on my door at 2 am I most certainly would open it as I'd assume it was the police with awful news or that the house was on fire...

But I appreciate that would not be the same living somewhere with a higher crime rate!

BoosMum11 Tue 14-Jun-16 06:21:39

Maybe the dog was home alone.

coolaschmoola Tue 14-Jun-16 06:22:33

If the dog was barking and she didn't answer the door perhaps she wasn't there?

My old ndn dog used to bark through the night when she was at work (hospital worker on shifts). To top it off it would sit on her bed and do it so it was just the other side of the wall to me. She didn't believe me, which is a whole other level of rage!

It wasn't a one off. This dog barks endlessly. Sometimes at the wind, always at the postman, everytime we (terrace) open our front doors, walk up or down the road.

It's kept outside and never walked. I've seen it taken out once, in say four months. I would suggest it's just vocal about its loneliness but unfortunately know that it's aggressive too as it went for and got at an elderly dog through their adjoining hedge (since reinforced). But that dog now shakes with fear about going out to pee in back garden.

The owner has a baby so I understand not wanting this huge aggressive ex guard dog (from a mechanics garage who passed it on to her) in the house too often.

I once counted 11 straight mornings in a row that it woke me up barking at 2am, which prompted me to make an official complaint to ha and environmental health. She's had so many complaints that she's at risk of loosing the house. I don't want to add to that if I don't have to as homelessness is a horror I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, let alone single parent with baby.

I'll see if she's amiable to a chat if I knock at a more sociable hour...

I was thinking spitefully when I knocked this morning, thinking if I have to be awake you should too. Not very rational I know. Not proudest moment either, but my knocks were nowhere near as loud as the dog so maybe she can sleep through it?

It's barking now, not constantly but, often enough for me to notice. Sigh

I have some sympathy. My friend was a nurse on the other side of coalas situation. A combination of various friends popping in on the dog, and training it to feel secure that she was coming back stopped the problem.

I don't know what solution would work here, the dog is lonely and probably not safe in the house with the baby. So what can she do, apart from rehome it?

chocolateworshipper Tue 14-Jun-16 07:08:18

We had something similar a few years ago. We phoned the council and they monitored the situation and then forced the owner to take action. Good luck

NavyAndWhite Tue 14-Jun-16 07:15:55

The poor poor dog.

Why do people have dogs and leave them outside all the time and never take them out? Makes me furious.

OP I would first off try getting hold of the neighbour and tell him/her that you can't carry on with this noise.

I would then ring the council.
American Bulldogs are not aggressive! Are you getting mixed up with a Pit Bull?

It sounds like there is likely to be some neglect where this dog is concerned, possibly anyway so I would be speaking to the rspca too.

Mamadothehump Tue 14-Jun-16 07:18:40

Any dog can be aggressive navy.

Op, I would suggest giving the rspca a call and go from there. Good luck!

hownottofuckup Tue 14-Jun-16 07:24:15

American Bulldogs are not aggressive

Any dog can be aggressive.

hownottofuckup Tue 14-Jun-16 07:24:53

Oops X post

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 14-Jun-16 07:31:42

If the dog has food, water and shelter the RSPCA won't do anything, despite the fact that having no exercise and being left alone a lot is a clear breach of it's behavioural welfare requirements.
I would keep complaining to HA and environmental health if she is not receptive to your 'chat'. It sounds like rehoming the dog would be best for all concerned.

LaGattaNera Tue 14-Jun-16 07:36:46

In similar situation with a neighbour. Barks at everything and anything and impossible for me to even be in my garden and get nowhere when speaking to my neighbour.
If your neighbour's dog is kept outside then she won't be able to stop it barking 2am. She shouldn't have the dog in the first place. That's the problem - you can speak to her but the dog will carry on barking as long as it is kept in those conditions.

NavyAndWhite Tue 14-Jun-16 07:37:53

I'm referring to why the OP said that's why she thought it was outside as the neighbour wouldn't want a huge aggressive dog around her new baby.

As a breed AB are not aggressive with people.

Keeping a dog outside 24 hours a day is cruel without proper attention and walks.

Skittlesss Tue 14-Jun-16 07:41:29

Keep a record and then call the council to report it if you're not getting any response from her.

Good luck. I have reported one of my neighbours twice and she is still not stopping her dog barking at stupid o'clock.

shazzarooney999 Tue 14-Jun-16 08:01:38

Drives me nuts, we have one over the back that howls for hours on end.

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Tue 14-Jun-16 08:21:18

The owner should not be owning the dog if she is fearful of it attacking her baby.

she needs to pass the dog on to a person trained to deal with aggressive and anxious dogs.

I would ask the RSPCA for advice - they are great with giving advice about animals too not just taking them away - and talk to environmental health about the noise.

I would also record the noise on your phone, OP, every time it happens so you can prove it in the first instance which will help speed up a resolution

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now