to think you should leave the room if you're coughing a lot

(10 Posts)
AnnieOnnieMouse Mon 13-Jun-16 23:44:55

At a lecture today, someone was repeatedly coughing every few minutes.
Aibu to think he ought to have slipped out and got himself a drink of water, rather than cough cough coughing repeatedly. It was a small, very informal (but paid for) lecture, he could easily have done so, then come back in.

sykadelic Tue 14-Jun-16 03:14:37

Depends. You're assuming a drink of water would make a difference. Could you see him and so do you know if he didn't have a bottle of water? There are some types of coughs that can't be fixed with a drink of water, so leaving the lecture temporarily wouldn't necessarily mean he'd stop coughing... why stop learning what he too paid to learn?

Sorry, YABU. Had it been a coughing fit, fair enough.

ScarletForYa Tue 14-Jun-16 03:22:52

Sounds like asthma.

IceRoadDucker Tue 14-Jun-16 08:03:02

I have a cough at the moment and a drink of water does nothing. Constantly sucking on a boiled sweet keeps it down, but I'm still coughing regularly. I can't isolate myself for the 2-3 weeks coughs usually last.

If I was in a meeting and I had a coughing fit I would leave and cough it out in the toilets. Otherwise it's very U to expect me or anyone else with a cough to put their lives on hold.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Tue 14-Jun-16 08:06:32

If I left the room everytime I coughed a little/lot I would oftentimes never be in the bloody room.

That's the joy of asthma. And no, sometimes nothing helps.

bringmelaughter Tue 14-Jun-16 08:09:31

As already stated you have no idea if this person had a lung condition for which water would make absolutely no difference. This kind if ignorance is exactly the reason that people with hidden disabilities such as lung conditions are often even more discriminated against than those with obvious disabilities.

Shinyshoes2 Tue 14-Jun-16 08:13:51

I had a chest infection and was coughing like I was on 60 molboro a day .
Even antibiotics wouldnt touch it
I coughed every few minutes I could have cried
It's not his /!my fault
And certainly wouldn't leave a class Id paid for because it ' annoys ' you

AnnieOnnieMouse Tue 14-Jun-16 23:56:46

He's never coughed like that in a lecture before, and we've been in the same lecture room dozens of times. Don't try to lecture me on invisible illnesses; I have a few myself.
He had no water bottle - we would have seen if he had, but bottled water was on sale in the next room. He made no attempt to suck a sweet, or anything, just cough cough cough. Repeatedly. It annoyed the rest of the room, all of whom had paid. He didn't even make any apology for coughing so much.

bringmelaughter Wed 15-Jun-16 08:46:08

You're still being unreasonable. Many people live with respiratory conditions (which are commonly variable in the way they show) and colleagues/friends have no idea.

Secondly if water was the solution to cough then this would be fabulous and cheap for the NHS. Funnily enough it's generally not the solution and maybe this person had already tried water and knew it made no difference.

Twirlywoooo Wed 15-Jun-16 08:49:26

My Ds has cough variant asthma. If he were to leave the room every time he coughed he would never be in the room.

Yabu. Water does bugger all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now