Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed by competitive friend??

(10 Posts)
lalalaimnotlistening Mon 13-Jun-16 19:11:40

First time poster here. How do you deal with competitive friends!? I have a friend who loves a game of one-upmanship to the point where I don't even want to share any good news etc with her anymore.

Anything I've got/done she's always got or done better and worn the t-shirt. I'm not competitive in the slightest and this is now really starting to grind my gears angry

Anything my DD does hers does bigger and better. Any achievement at work she's achieved and then some. I feel like I can't share anything with her without it being a competition.

AIBU? Do I mention that it's bothering me and I feel like I don't want to share things with her anymore or just accept that that's the way she is!?

228agreenend Mon 13-Jun-16 19:24:29

Always tricky, I have friends like that. They always make me feel inadequate.

Perhaps give a non-Comittal 'that's nice' reply. Or make up something really outlandish to see what she says next.

Balletblue Mon 13-Jun-16 19:27:54

Stop caring about it or drop a heavy hint that you don't appreciate it. Or you could make a joke out of it by over exaggerating. Or don't have her as a friend - it would depend if she had any other redeeming qualities.

iklboo Mon 13-Jun-16 19:33:33

Start singing 'Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better'

High five yourself & when she asks why tell her you do that every time she pulls this stunt

Say 'with sprinkles on and jam in the middle?' after every comment she makes

Do a marrrrrrrrrrr sound like Stephen Fry as Lord Melchett in Blackadder

Biscuitsforbribes Mon 13-Jun-16 19:38:32

I have a friend like this! She makes me feel absolutely shit about myself even though I'm the one in the better situation.

I'm trying to remember that her behaviour is stemmed in jealousy and insecurity and I'm severely limiting our contact now, but I'll be watching this with interest for new ideas..

RaeSkywalker Mon 13-Jun-16 19:41:28

I just say "oh really" and change the subject.

TheWitTank Mon 13-Jun-16 19:47:53

It's insecurity. Anyone comfortable with themselves does not feel the need to brag, boast or belittle other people achievements. I would probably hold back from telling her things or just stay silent when she starts harping on until she realises you are not going to take an interest or be impressed. Change the subject when she takes a breath!

RubbishG3nericUsername Mon 13-Jun-16 19:50:20

YANBU- Life's too short, if it's making you angry then I'd stop being friends with her

mum2Bomg Mon 13-Jun-16 19:51:28

I'd make a jokey, "I'm sure you've done something better though!" type comment at the end of your news. She will probably pick up on it and then make I'd make it a joke that it was her thing, something she always does.

It's born of insecurity and she may feel she has to live up to you but bloody annoying anyway x

lalalaimnotlistening Mon 13-Jun-16 20:08:52

Haha loving some of the ideas!

We've been friends a long time and our DDs and DPs are friends so I wouldn't ever cut her out of my life. Apart from the competitiveness she's a really good friend I think that's why I just put up with it.

It's just getting to be a bit upsetting now that I can never just have my "moment" and for her to be happy for me IYKWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now