Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder what the purpose of mumsnet really is?

(101 Posts)
dogsdieinhotcars Mon 13-Jun-16 14:23:16

All I read are vile comments from folk. Commenting on BMI of someone who gyms 3x a week. Hinting they are bordering on overweight. Or lying about what size they are.
Asking how much you have in savings?!?! Then reading BS answers such as 20k! Who gives a shite? Is it a keep up with the Jones' network?
And what car you drive?!? Honestly. The answers were amazing and though insiteful to such ignorance, just titilatting! And bloody useless.
The good threads are usually political these days.
The only threads that people take any notice of are those that cause aggro. I've asked for help with a sleep issue for my child, and with all you mums out there I got hardly any replies. Yet put something up about an awkward wedding invite and 15 boring pages appear. Just saying what happened to them once. YAWN.
Guess it's time I left mumsnet. Or does anyone agree with me? Evil place really?

60sname Mon 13-Jun-16 14:24:24

Ooh, my first ever biscuit

Hth

Stylingwax Mon 13-Jun-16 14:24:39

biscuit

HallowedMimic Mon 13-Jun-16 14:26:43

I think it's just a vehicle for advertising.

It has great entertainment value, which is why it generates the income it does.

Isn't that the purpose of most businesses in the end, to generate money for the owners?

usual Mon 13-Jun-16 14:26:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BorisIsBack Mon 13-Jun-16 14:27:27

Bye!

I've got loads of support for fertility issues and as I went through ivf. I bloody love my MN support Crew!

BrandNewAndImproved Mon 13-Jun-16 14:27:38

I wouldn't say it's evil.

Most prolific posters have been here for years and years and have done the bad sleeper threads over and over again unfortunately. Same as the weaning, potty training ect ect.

If your taking how many replies you get as personal then maybe it is time for a break.

The thing I quite like about MN is that it's not all nappies and parenting babies. It's grown as the users have gotten older. That's not to say we can't still have threads about parenting little dc but after you've given out the same advice for a couple of years the interest to keep repeating yourself wears thin.

usual Mon 13-Jun-16 14:28:19

TheNaze73 Mon 13-Jun-16 14:28:42

What a ridiculous post. Have a biscuit and lock the door on your way out

usual Mon 13-Jun-16 14:30:59

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Mon 13-Jun-16 14:31:21

Evil?

Really

Some people were obviously kind enough to reply about your sleep issue, most people, I imagine, would be like me and not know how to advise anyone because we just did what we could to get through it and don't feel qualified to advise.

As in real life there are some knobs but most people are generally nice and have differing opinions.

You don't have to be on MN if you don't like it.

usual Mon 13-Jun-16 14:31:32

dogsdieinhotcars Mon 13-Jun-16 14:31:33

usual Just chat sounds useful!

MrsSpecter Mon 13-Jun-16 14:33:32

The purpose of MN is to make money for its creators.

branofthemist Mon 13-Jun-16 14:33:59

Get a grip. I don't answer sleep ones because neither of mine slept til their were four. Not going to be helpful and I don't want to relive it thanks.

Many posters here

Aren't parents
Have kids who maybe slept through
Have kids that never slept through
Have kids old enough they can't remember what they did
Posted on so many sleep threads they don't enjoy repeating the same info over and over.

I haven't seen any of the threads you talk about so can't comment.

I am here because I find it amusing. There are lots of funny threads. Lots of helpful people too.

It's also made me see things from other perspectives and tbh I think it's made me less judgy.

Are you just annoyed no one answered you sleep thread? A bit of jealousy?

dogsdieinhotcars Mon 13-Jun-16 14:34:42

Elsa yeah life is full of knobs (love that term BTW!). Probably I'll step out and unsubscribe from the goddamn email updates!

branofthemist Mon 13-Jun-16 14:35:30

Op are you aware there is a flouncers corner topic?

cosmicglittergirl Mon 13-Jun-16 14:36:00

It's probably better to read old threads about sleep, lots of replies and still relevant.

But no, MN isn't 'evil'.

dogsdieinhotcars Mon 13-Jun-16 14:36:37

Jealous my arse! Wanted to see if anyone had been in same situation. Obvs.

usual Mon 13-Jun-16 14:36:43

OneArt Mon 13-Jun-16 14:37:06

You just have to find the bit that works for you. Eg if the spiteful comments bother you then stay away from AIBU. Or ignore wedding threads if you find them boring. If you're still not enjoying it then by all means leave - no one's forcing you to be here!!

FlyingElbows Mon 13-Jun-16 14:38:30

Oh be fair, op. The Internet is full of resources for people with small child ishoos. You only get 7' bridezillas on mumsnet!

branofthemist Mon 13-Jun-16 14:39:26

Wow! Nothing wrong with being a tad jealous. Totally normal reaction.

TooLazyToWriteMyOwnFuckinPiece Mon 13-Jun-16 14:39:42

I click on active threads only really, so unless your sleep thread was in there then I, and others like me, will never have known it existed.

Arfarfanarf Mon 13-Jun-16 14:40:26

The purpose of mumsnet is to make money. grin what it sells is us grin sells us to advertisers. In return we get to chat on the internet for free, ask advice which may be good or may be rubbish and we get to browse a load of parenting related pages and reviews and all that gubbins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now