Talk

Advanced search

Godparents question

(13 Posts)
Bipet1984 Mon 13-Jun-16 10:53:11

My husband and I grew up with godparents who were very attentive and generous.

We became godparents to our friends’ little boy and we’d got him presents that seemed normal to us.

- Birthday present
- Easter basket
- Sweets for Halloween
- Advent calendar on 1st of Dec
- Christmas present

Now we have a little boy and we asked them to be his godparents. They haven’t got him anything apart from a birthday present and a Christmas card.

What would you do? Would you match to what they are doing? I'm asking especially because we've now been asked to be godparents to their 2nd baby boy, so definitely don't want to be overbuying.

mouldycheesefan Mon 13-Jun-16 10:59:38

Godparent is a religious commitment so as long as they were fulfilling that element I wouldn't mind about presents. We do get presents for godchildren and siblings at birthday and Xmas but not other times of the year. A birthday present and Christmas card is fine! I think you are overbuying comparing to them but you don't give to receive so if you enjoy giving carry on.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 13-Jun-16 11:01:43

I have loads of godchildren and from me they get a birthday present and a Christmas present and an Easter egg (but only if I see them in person at Easter time).

Anything else is overkill I think.

MunchCrunch01 Mon 13-Jun-16 11:02:24

i think a birthday and christmas present is fine - we get this from 1 of DD's God-parents, and not from the other one, and received the same from my Godparents when I was growing up. I think the advent calendars are a nice touch though.

wigglesrock Mon 13-Jun-16 11:02:55

I just buy my godchildren a birthday and Christmas present, my kids godparents just do the same. My two older ones got a little extra present from their godparents when they made their First Communion but there no extra bits and bobs during the year.

Skrewt Mon 13-Jun-16 11:03:27

I heard a good idea recently where the god parents put aside money every birthday & Christmas into an account - to be given to the child when they are 18. That way you don't have to be fussing with more than a card on those occasions but there'll be a nice sum for them to go off to college with (or whatever) at 18. I think the amount was £60 twice a year (or £10 a month). I thought it was a much better idea so maybe you could suggest doing that and they'll take the hint and do the same for your child

londonrach Mon 13-Jun-16 11:04:19

Birthday present and christmas present to me from my godparents until 18 and its what i give my god daughter too.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 13-Jun-16 11:04:23

DH is God parent to a little boy and we always buy birthday, Christmas presents and at Easter get a chocolate egg and a book we take the little boy out a few times a year.

We've now got our own ds and we only had a naming ceremony as me and dh aren't religious buy never the less DH friends treat ds like we do there's .

If I was you I'd give presents for the occasions your friends do.

mouldycheesefan Mon 13-Jun-16 11:05:09

£120 per year per child is totally excessive. Being a godparent is not about paying for college it's a religious role.
If you ask the friends for £10 per month they will think you are bonkers. This is really bad advice.

HelpALostCause Mon 13-Jun-16 11:06:57

I got a card at Easter, birthday and christmas present from one of mine. An 18th birthday present from another (just card at every other birthday/christmas). From the other a birthday present on my sibling's birthday in a 'oh crap, we forgot Help's birthday again' kind of way, Christmas presents were a box of chocolates for the whole family and an easter egg if we saw them over Easter.
I would say you do more than necessary! We just do Christmas and birthday presents for my DH's two goddaughters, small pack of easter eggs if we see them.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Mon 13-Jun-16 11:11:45

Godparents should never be expected to give more than religious guidance and a little love and care. Anything else is a nice bonus.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Mon 13-Jun-16 11:18:27

Christmas and birthday presents only here, £10-£15 each time.

TooLazyToWriteMyOwnFuckinPiece Mon 13-Jun-16 11:19:42

Godmother gives to ours Christmas and birthday, godfathers don't bother at all. I think your friends are being rude as they are happy to carry on taking far more than they are willing to give.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now