Talk

Advanced search

How long to forward on post for?

(11 Posts)
BorisIsBack Sun 12-Jun-16 19:19:10

We moved into our new house in January 2015. The family who lived here before seemed lovely and really thoughtful about everything except for their post. They left some pre printed stickies with their new address on but didn't arrange a post redirection. We ran out of stickies after a few months last year but yet the post still comes. I redirect a handful of letters, most of it official looking not junk, every few weeks. But I'm getting bored of sorting it out.

Would I be unreasonable to return it to sender now? Or do I keep sending it on? WWYD?

Jofo Sun 12-Jun-16 19:22:51

YANBU 'Return To Sender on everything from now on. They have had more than enough time to let everyone know.

SabineUndine Sun 12-Jun-16 19:27:22

six months, max

BorisIsBack Sun 12-Jun-16 20:10:10

Ok, that's good. I was worried I was being rude for not sending everything on immediately.

marblestatue Sun 12-Jun-16 20:31:06

6 months is long enough. Write "not at this address" on all their mail (or print out a few pages of stickers saying the same) and put it back in the letterbox. It should eventually stop!

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Sun 12-Jun-16 20:36:48

Definitely return to sender

If they haven't been arsed to sorting it out, it's not your problem

WasDat Sun 12-Jun-16 20:38:04

We still receive post for the previous owners and we've lived here for 6 years. I used to write return to sender but now I just bin it.

We even get birthday cards! hmm

SockQueen Sun 12-Jun-16 20:42:08

I might be tempted to write to them at their new address, remind them that you're still redirecting their mail, and tell them that from now on you will be returning to sender. If I was feeling nice.

BeYourselfUnlessUCanBeAUnicorn Sun 12-Jun-16 20:47:37

Bloody hell, I did this for a month. It pissed me off when it became quite clear the previous owner hadn't bothered to change a single address! Not even informed the gas and electric company that she was leaving. When we moved in there was a note on the side with a forwarding address so it was just expected that we would sort it all out. My patience with it ran out especially when it became clear that the vendors son used this address even though he didn't live here and hadn't bothered to tell important agencies like the tax office and the dvla.

BorisIsBack Sun 12-Jun-16 21:25:00

sock I might just do that.

beyourself I think ggey can only have told the utilities. Their insurance and everything else comes here. Even some of her online shopping.

BeYourselfUnlessUCanBeAUnicorn Sun 12-Jun-16 21:27:25

Definitely just return it all to sender. People who do this take the piss as they just expect other people to deal with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now