Talk

Advanced search

Or were these judgey-pants women working in the butty shop?!

(33 Posts)
Bocolatechiscuit Sun 12-Jun-16 12:53:31

I sent DP to buy us bacon butties and said if there was anything else nice treat-wise to get us something (I want cake before I start the big 'don't want to look like a whale on holiday' diet tomorrow). There's been flooding here and road closures so we weren't sure the shop would be open.

This is the ensuing text conversation. DP started it.

Who's BU? Oh and by the way it's DEFO not me! grin

Trills Sun 12-Jun-16 12:56:08

We don't know what the women said or did, so we can't say they are being unreasonable.

Isthereeverarightime1 Sun 12-Jun-16 12:58:29

She was unreasonable, you could have people round today or a big family!

Yellowbird54321 Sun 12-Jun-16 13:00:43

Blimey doesn't take much to shock those women does it? How exactly did they express their shock?

Olddear Sun 12-Jun-16 13:02:06

Woman was shocked at man buying 4 cakes???? seriously? She's never sold four cakes in one go before?

yougetme Sun 12-Jun-16 13:03:30

But maybe they only had 4 cakes and the women were shocked that they would then have no cakes left.

Or shocked that a man couldn't make his own mind up...

Coconutty Sun 12-Jun-16 13:04:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trills Sun 12-Jun-16 13:06:27

I think your DP is being unreasonable and the women in the shop did nothing at all.

He is just saying that buying 4 cakes for 2 of you would shock them, because he is too chicken to say "I don't think we should buy 4 cakes for 2 of us".

MrsSpecter Sun 12-Jun-16 13:06:40

Its impossible to say without knowing what he said to them and their response.

Arfarfanarf Sun 12-Jun-16 13:08:01

I think he didnt want to spend eight quid on cake more than anything :D

Olddear Sun 12-Jun-16 13:08:28

Did he know she was shocked because she fainted and he had to fan her with a big pancake?

Allalonenow Sun 12-Jun-16 13:08:38

If they were working for me, I wouldn't be too pleased, they are meant to be encouraging the customers to buy cake!

Bocolatechiscuit Sun 12-Jun-16 13:09:28

grin I got the cakes!

Apparently he'd said he was just texting his partner to ask what she wanted and when he said 'Oooh she'd like one of each!', one turned to the other and said 'one of each?!'

He's a bit of a wuss and this would put him off, but my reply made him realise it would be worse to date to come back without them!

Oh and I was paying!

Crispbutty Sun 12-Jun-16 13:12:28

They probably thought all 4 are for you, and you are too big to get out of the house due to excessive cake eating grin

SalemSaberhagen Sun 12-Jun-16 13:14:22

olddears incredulous post just made me giggle.

Bocolatechiscuit Sun 12-Jun-16 13:18:17

Haha olddear! I misread your post first time thinking you were telling me why she was shocked and checking that DP knew this! I was most confused thinking maybe you were there or something! Get it now and 'tis funny! (Too much sugar on the brain!) grin

grumpysquash3 Sun 12-Jun-16 13:29:35

I think DH is BU for caring what the shop staff think, but is NBU for querying buying one of each at £2 each.
You ANBU for wanting one of each, especially if you are paying!
[You possibly ABU for wanting the Victoria sponge though when the other choices are so much better grin)

MadamDeathstare Sun 12-Jun-16 13:40:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RonaldMcDonald Sun 12-Jun-16 13:42:50

I only read further to understand what a butty shop was. Hoping for S&M sneering

WorraLiberty Sun 12-Jun-16 13:46:27

Eight quid for 4 slices of cake?? shock

I'd be bloody shocked too and hot foot it down to the supermarket grin

But ultimately, I think this is your dh making excuses for not wanting to pay that and I don't blame him

1horatio Sun 12-Jun-16 13:52:07

Weird woman... If they thought you'd eat all of them in one go that say more about them than about you.

Enjoy your cake smile

EveryoneElsie Sun 12-Jun-16 13:56:49

It doesn't matter where you work, you dont make rude comments about customers. Not in front of them and not behind their back.
If customers hear you bad mouthing other customers, they will assume you do this about them when they are gone.

RedToothBrush Sun 12-Jun-16 14:03:59

A Butty Shop is where you buy Water Butts. Obviously.

Naicehamshop Sun 12-Jun-16 14:08:11

Just snorted tea out of my nose at Olddear's pancake comment grin

serendippity Sun 12-Jun-16 14:08:37

I just spent accidentally £10.00 on 4 slices of cake!!! And that was with a 10% locals discount. I didn't look at the price as I was convinced it couldn't possibly be more than about £1.50, boy was I wrong.
Anyway, I'm absolutely sure that there is some sort of oath that people who work in bakeries have to take, that means they swear never to look shocked at amounts of cake purchased ...similar to a doctor grin So she was DBU.
Having said that, I'm also wondering if your DH thought that they were shocked, because he felt a tad uncomfortable buying 4 cakes on his own, in case they thought they were all for him, and that's why he told them he was texting you. In which has He was BU, because it's down to you what you buy and not the people serving you!
(having said that, it was just myself and DD purchasing aforementioned cake, and I am now wondering if there was a glimmer of judgyness behind cake ladies smile....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now