Talk

Advanced search

Guest helping herself to food

(187 Posts)
limon Sun 12-Jun-16 11:42:39

AIBU that a 10 year old guest has just helped herself to food at my house without asking?

It has really irritated me. And she's got really bad table manners - eats with her mouth open very loudly.

Buggers Sun 12-Jun-16 11:43:39

Yanbu that would annoy me, is she just over for sleepover?

Floggingmolly Sun 12-Jun-16 11:44:07

How is she a guest? Is she staying with you, or on a play date with your child?

Lweji Sun 12-Jun-16 11:44:43

Educate her on being a guest and tell her to ask for food first.

What kind of guest is it? Is she staying there or just a couple of hours?
What are the rules in your house with your children?

limon Sun 12-Jun-16 11:45:15

Sorry yes she's on a playdate.

Birdsgottafly Sun 12-Jun-16 11:46:31

You can correct the taking of the food without asking.

I used to ask my DDs to mention table manners/behaviour, that I didn't like.

I wouldn't cut off a friendship, because the child has a different upbringing.

PolaroidsFromTheBeyond Sun 12-Jun-16 11:46:39

It would annoy me too. But just tell her nicely that in this house we ask before we help ourselves to food. No big deal.

KissMyArse Sun 12-Jun-16 11:51:36

Maybe her friends are allowed to help themselves to food at her house so she doesn't realise she's doing anything wrong.

Agree with PP to politely inform her she needs to ask if she want something when she is at your house.

BlackVelvet1 Sun 12-Jun-16 11:54:53

YABU to be really irritated, she's 10. Just tell her to ask next time. Unless it's caviar she has helped herself too, I can't see the fuss.

LemonSqueezy0 Sun 12-Jun-16 11:56:03

I think you just need to mention it politely. It will help their development in the long term (in regard to social norms etc) and give her the heads up that not all houses are the same so it's worth asking before doing. Another home she goes to might be more relaxed and open house type of place. Just mention it nicely, no need for a big telling off of anything.

carryam Sun 12-Jun-16 12:03:24

Agree that this is a teaching moment. She obviously hasn't been taught to wait and see what the rules are in terms of access to food. Being taught this, will help her long term. You could also gently correct her table manners. Children need to be taught these things, not all parents do though.

WeirdAndPissedOff Sun 12-Jun-16 12:05:49

I would also correct her gently.
But could it be that DD offered her some food? (Eg a "help yourself" kind of thing)

Zucker Sun 12-Jun-16 12:06:37

Unless she's helped herself to the Bollinger and secret naice chocolates, maybe cut her some clack! Was she hungry?

Zucker Sun 12-Jun-16 12:07:16

clack? slack!

alltouchedout Sun 12-Jun-16 12:09:05

She's 10, there are probably different rules at her house. Mention it gently and nicely. Would you have said no if she'd asked?

AnnaMarlowe Sun 12-Jun-16 12:09:35

Do you help yourself to food in other people's houses Zucker? I bet you don't.

Chewbecca Sun 12-Jun-16 12:10:08

I had that once, DS's friend was looking through my fridge mid movie. He then asked for my Apple ID so he could buy an app on my iPad. I think different rules must've applied in his house to mine. Haven't invited him back!

AppleSetsSail Sun 12-Jun-16 12:10:11

Why does it irritate you?

FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Sun 12-Jun-16 12:10:35

we don't even know what she has helped herself too, has she gone through your cupboards, or given herself an extra spoonful of mashed potato?

I think its harsh to react like this. We host students from a few places round the world and you get used to different table manners, some have been rather astonishing to say the least

blimeyalldecentnamesaregone Sun 12-Jun-16 12:10:41

What did she help herself to? Did it mean going in a cupboard or was it something out on display?

FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Sun 12-Jun-16 12:11:26

chew why didnt you just say " in this house we dont allow children to go through the fridge" confused

BabooshkaKate Sun 12-Jun-16 12:11:47

This reminds me - once when I was a child I went to a friend's house. Mum was busy elsewhere. Friend said help yourself to fruit. I had a couple of mandarins and an apple, was about to help myself to a banana when mum walks in and goes absolutely nuclear at me for being greedy and eating "everything".

Apparently the house had a one piece each policy. My house had a "as much as you want" policy and I loved fruit so would usually have one of everything.

Nataleejah Sun 12-Jun-16 12:13:43

I usually leave nibbles/drinks for little guests to help themselves. Also remind my own DC not to let their guests to nose around where they are not supposed to be.

YABU to be really irritated at a 10yo. Children are still learning, and sometimes 'forget' manners if not reminded.

WanHeda Sun 12-Jun-16 12:14:18

My own children are not allowed free access to the fridge, so other people definitely woudn't get to! I would just gently inform them the house rule on food.

HiddenMeaning Sun 12-Jun-16 12:14:53

My kids used to stop any of their friends who tried to take food without asking so I didn't need to get involved. They were horrified that other kids would be so rude.

OP, I'd simply tell the child that she mustn't take anything without asking and to let you know if she is hungry. It's not a big deal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now