Talk

Advanced search

Cheeky Amazon prime!

(82 Posts)
NeedACleverNN Sun 12-Jun-16 11:16:36

Dh went to order a DVD Friday and selected the next day delivery as it was supposed to be a surprise treat for me.

He didn't know we had already used our 30 day free trial and no where did it say you will be billed £79 until after he pressed pay now.

Amazon then tried to take the £79 immediately. Luckily he spotted it and cancelled the order but now we have to wait a few days for the bank to clear it and have it returned.

This is naughty of Amazon really isn't it? If it had said before he clicked you have used your free trial and would there fore re-sign you up at a charge of £79 he wouldn't have clicked it in the first place!

badabadabadabwee Sun 12-Jun-16 11:18:11

We get one of these every month! YABU. The charge is clearly advertised!

Arkwright Sun 12-Jun-16 11:19:23

It will have said it somewhere on the page. They are very good at refunding though.

dementedpixie Sun 12-Jun-16 11:21:57

It's up to you to check if the free trial has expired. The free trial does say that to stop it auto renewing you have to go into your account to cancel it. Yabu

Toomanymarsbars Sun 12-Jun-16 11:23:17

You're being vu. AP are very good with clrealy stating t&cs. It's completely your fault for not being careful and checking.

NeedACleverNN Sun 12-Jun-16 11:23:17

I knew I had used the free trial, dh didn't. He was using my account because he doesn't have his own.

As it was supposed to be a surprise (joint bank account) he didn't want to tell me.

Queenbean Sun 12-Jun-16 11:23:24

The ts&cs are really clear. Not naughty Amazon, silly old DP.

Arkwright Sun 12-Jun-16 11:25:26

He should not have used your account really.

PolaroidsFromTheBeyond Sun 12-Jun-16 11:26:14

It's not cheeky. You were happy to take advantage of the free trial, no? The T&Cs clearly state that it will renew automatically unless you cancel. Not Amazon's fault that you neglected to do this. But very good customer service to refund you straight away for your error.

rainbowunicorn Sun 12-Jun-16 11:27:29

So how is any of that Amazons fault. They clearly stated their terms and conditions when you signed up. The account is in your name so they would expect it to be used by you not someone else. Don't really understand why you think that they have done anything wrong here.

dementedpixie Sun 12-Jun-16 11:28:23

Why doesn't he get his own account as surely you will get emailed the order details if he uses your account? With Amazon prime you can share the benefits with other parties at your address so even with his own account he could have shared the benefits of the free trial.

NeedACleverNN Sun 12-Jun-16 11:30:40

What's the point in a seperate account?

It's the same bank account, same address blah blah

All I mean to say is though, what's wrong with a little reminder that your free trial has expired and it will charge you this..

PenguinPoser Sun 12-Jun-16 11:33:22

When I used the free trial it was clearly stated that the money would be taken when the free trial ran out. Sorry but YABU!

Lottielou7 Sun 12-Jun-16 11:33:39

YABU - at the time you sign up they tell you that if you don't cancel you will be billed £79 at the end of the period. If you forget then that's your fault isn't it? The reason companies give people free trials like this is that it's good business sense in the end for them because a lot of people will forget to cancel. They don't give out free trials simply to be kind.

dementedpixie Sun 12-Jun-16 11:33:45

Because you are told when you take up the free trial that you will be charged when it expires. Me and dh have separate Amazon accounts so we can buy surprise items. You probably shouldn't be sharing Amazon account details (that's probably in the t & c's too that you haven't read!)

Littleallovertheshop Sun 12-Jun-16 11:35:36

I wish you'd all read the thread - the op has already used her free trial. It's not that she's got to the end of it and is now being charged.

NeedACleverNN Sun 12-Jun-16 11:36:26

I did cancel it. He then tried to re-activate it.

Either way ok I can see I am bu.
Wil tell him to make sure he reads things properly first

BreakerofChains Sun 12-Jun-16 11:36:39

You are very clearly told when you sign up for a free Prime trial that you will be charged at the end of it unless you tell them not to, how is it Amazon's fault that your DP didn't know this when he used your account?

Whathaveilost Sun 12-Jun-16 11:37:08

Whats the point of a separate account?
Er maybe so he can buy you a suprise without going through all this kerfuffle.

NeedACleverNN Sun 12-Jun-16 11:37:12

I CANCELLED THE FREE TRIAL

grin

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jun-16 11:37:46

I'm not sure why it's Amazon's job to tell your DH that your free trial has expired.

dementedpixie Sun 12-Jun-16 11:38:29

Ok, but then he signed up for Amazon prime again to get free one day delivery and would have been told at that point that he would get charged. Tell him to read what he is agreeing to next time

Littleallovertheshop Sun 12-Jun-16 11:39:44

OP - I feel your frustration...

dementedpixie Sun 12-Jun-16 11:39:59

I'm just pissed off as I haven been offered a free trial this year grin

NeedACleverNN Sun 12-Jun-16 11:40:09

But it didn't say he was re-activating prime again. That's what I'm trying to get at.

If he had read the t and c he would have known he was re-activating it but as he didn't, he didn't know. Surely he isn't the only person to get caught out with it though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now