Talk

Advanced search

Is this appropriate conduct for solicitors?

(815 Posts)
AugustaFinkNottle Sat 11-Jun-16 22:33:36

A solicitors' firm which acts for councils in special educational needs tribunals has tweeted the following:

"Great ABA Trib win this week ... interesting to see how parents continue to persist with it. Funny thing is parents think they won ;)"

I can't link to it due to having been blocked confused but it's been retweeted, e.g here.

The original tweet resulted in numerous complaints and a quick change to the tweet.

The case they're triumphalising about will have involved a disabled child. Lovely.

CaoNiMao Sun 12-Jun-16 03:36:36

Why on earth are law firms on Twitter? Twitter is for TOWIE cast members and washed up soap-stars. Isn't it??

fastdaytears Sun 12-Jun-16 06:02:53

I can't see any reason for this thread to be pulled.

Maybe he (I think it was the managing partner) was drunk or whatever but that's hardly an excuse.

My problem is with gloating that a child will have less support and making that child's parents look stupid. The Hillsborough analogy is a good one. If the inquest had gone differently and the police lawyers tweeted about how great it was that they had "won" then they would be pretty widely criticised for that.

Law firms on Twitter has such potential to go wrong, and really very little benefit if you ask me. We're not on there.

I hope there's enough screenshots around now that he's closed the account. Hopefully the papers/ROF/rest of the Internet will pick up too

runningincircles12 Sun 12-Jun-16 07:00:16

I don't think the thread should be pulled. It is not identifying to the general public. It would only be identifying for the parents who were involved in the case and may have googled the solicitor. However, it brings the legal profession into enormous disrepute because it gives a horrible impression of lawyers as petty and gloating (despite the subject matter being very sensitive).
If when I was in practice, I had tweeted 'YES, my client got the house-stupid husband for thinking it would be sold' I would quite rightly expect to be sacked and possibly reprimanded by the SRA. I often had the party on the other side googling me (it would show on my linkedin profile) and even though the tweet would not be identifying to everyone reading it, it would to the people involved in the case.
I look forward to reading about this in the Gazette next week....

Hissy Sun 12-Jun-16 08:30:26

No, account still active

fastdaytears Sun 12-Jun-16 08:32:20

Ohhh because if you delete the tweets and apologise then that's all good!

fastdaytears Sun 12-Jun-16 08:35:12

Left this up though! Also love the timing of referring to his pro bono session...

iMatter Sun 12-Jun-16 08:43:04

That Twitter account is the gift that keeps on giving.

Totally unprofessional.

And what an absolute dickhead.

AugustaFinkNottle Sun 12-Jun-16 08:46:00

They must have closed it down and reopened it, if that's possible. Last night if you clicked on any links you got something saying the account didn't exist.

fastdaytears Sun 12-Jun-16 08:46:35

Well, he does advise on Social Media apparently!

NCVanish Sun 12-Jun-16 08:52:25

Hoping daily mail actually pick up on this thread for once!

fastdaytears Sun 12-Jun-16 08:59:34

Yep! The one time we want the DM to read!

Tummyrumbled Sun 12-Jun-16 08:59:35

We might see it in Roll on Friday

fastdaytears Sun 12-Jun-16 08:59:57

Hope so!

throwingpebbles Sun 12-Jun-16 09:01:01

Please report this to the SRA.

throwingpebbles Sun 12-Jun-16 09:03:29

tummy yes I was just thinking ROF would be interested in this story.

Shockingly inappropriate.

fastdaytears Sun 12-Jun-16 09:03:39

Sent ROF a link yesterday. Will also do SRA but want to word it properly. Other people should too- it's really easy and you don't need any personal connection.

I really don't like people making us all look like unethical idiots

Ruralretreating Sun 12-Jun-16 09:08:28

TheBouquets I am even sadder to hear that and shocked. I've seen the odd bit of sharp practice but not grasping and greed so I'm sorry to hear this has been your experience. Is there anyone you know who could personally recommend a solicitor? Perhaps from any support groups for your disabilities. I really hope you can find someone decent to help you.

Ruralretreating Sun 12-Jun-16 09:14:13

Oh my word that "from the mob" tweet is awful too.

Shakey15000 Sun 12-Jun-16 09:20:09

Breathtakingly unprofessional.

Ruralretreating Sun 12-Jun-16 09:21:31

Haven't read ROF for ages, I shall look forward to doing so tomorrow!

user1464519881 Sun 12-Jun-16 09:21:57

I would be happy to give them legal advice on their tweeting.

AugustaFinkNottle Sun 12-Jun-16 09:24:13

I would suggest that parents of disabled children should complain to the SRA. It's tough enough without knowing that the solicitors acting for your local authority blatantly regard you as an appropriate subject for a laugh on a Saturday night.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 12-Jun-16 09:27:03

You'd have to be off your head on something to be publicly committing career suicide and taking down your firm with you. Have any of the nationals picked this up yet?

fastdaytears Sun 12-Jun-16 09:32:32

Funny how all of his support is coming by private message isn't it? Convenient!

AugustaFinkNottle Sun 12-Jun-16 10:18:54

I wonder if those direct emails exist? Even his best friend surely can't say much more than "Stay away from Twitter on Saturday nights"!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »