To worry about displaying ds's whole name?

(17 Posts)
LauderSyme Sat 11-Jun-16 16:30:14

A while ago I bought my 6 year old ds a lovely little rucksack with a picture on the flap of one of his favourite films. I had the option to print a name under the pic, and for some reason I chose his first name and surname which are 7 letters combined. Now I am worrying that it is a really bad idea to tell a world full of strangers his whole name, so he only takes it to child care clubs. Aibu to be uneasy? Am I paranoid or is it a total no-brainer?

BoredHouseWifee Sat 11-Jun-16 16:32:01

Personally I wouldn't do it but that's just me x

Lilicat1013 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:45:28

I have always seen advice not to have items that display a child's name on, as it would allow a stranger to approach them an act like they know them (as they know their name).

Also if they use it for school then they would be displaying their full name and school.

Stranger abductions are incredibly rare though so it is up to you whether that would make you not use the bag.

Musicinthe00ssucks Sat 11-Jun-16 16:51:20

I've always believed this to be a very bad idea

GinIsIn Sat 11-Jun-16 16:52:58

This is a bad idea - sorry! For example if your DS uses it as a school bag and wears a school sweatshirt, any random knows his full name, and school, just at a glance.

wheresthel1ght Sat 11-Jun-16 17:04:57

Bad idea for the reasons above. I also refuse to have those Alice bands with names on them too.

Aspergallus Sat 11-Jun-16 17:06:16

Yep agree. Don't give a stranger an "in".

ImaginaryCat Sat 11-Jun-16 17:07:45

I think it depends where you live. In this village anyone with a child would know or be able to find out who my DDs are. Most kids at our village school have full name embroidered onto PE kit bag, which they obviously carry to and from school 4 times a term. And lots of them have football shirts with their name on. But if I still lived in London I might feel differently.

getthemout Sat 11-Jun-16 17:13:37

There was a case when I was a kid, where a load of us girls had personalised headbands from a party we'd been to. A man approached one girl who's mum was often late (so she was stood waiting alone) and said 'oh Rebecca there you are! Your mum asked me to drop you home.'

Of course, this wouldnt happen these days because primary schools normally have to see a parent before they can leave the building, but it has always stuck in my mind. Mainly because I wasn't allowed to wear my hair band again after that!

NewLife4Me Sat 11-Jun-16 17:21:42

If you don't use it so often it will last longer so you can keep it at home as a keepsake and just keep toys in it. or take it out in summer hols when he is with you.
maybe buy another one for school, can't see that nursery would be a problem.

NewLife4Me Sat 11-Jun-16 17:22:43

Sorry, just read he's 6. Yes, buy a cheap one for school and keep personalised one for special days out/ bedroom storage.

grumpysquash3 Sat 11-Jun-16 17:25:25

Round here most primary school kids have book bags with their name and class on. And the school name is on their sweatshirt.

Also, if a random was going to start up a conversation with your DS, I doubt they would use his full name, so bag-wise it doesn't make any difference whether he just has his first name on it or his full name.

BillSykesDog Sat 11-Jun-16 17:27:10

Could you put stickers over the surname if you're worried?

thanksamillion Sat 11-Jun-16 17:39:24

getthemout my kids have a code word to stop that happening. I'm generally not paranoid about strangers but I read somewhere it was a good idea and adopted it. So if I ever had to send someone to collect DCs unexpectedly they would ask for the code word before agreeing to go with the person. We haven't needed to test it but it seems like a good idea!

rugbychick Sat 11-Jun-16 17:46:10

The only bag dd has with full name on is bag for pe kit that will live at school all term, only being brought home for washing

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Sat 11-Jun-16 18:16:34

Not paranoid at all. I even go so far as not to stick name tapes in clothes on the collar (easy to sneak a peek) and Only ever use DCs last name when labelling clothing.

We are lucky to be the only ones with that surname in the school. I feel sorry for all the Smiths and Joneses

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Sat 11-Jun-16 18:17:43

as to hiding the name could you sew on something like one of these to cover it up? www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sew+on+kids+patches

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now