Talk

Advanced search

Parking wars... Of a kind

(33 Posts)
boodlesandpoodles Fri 10-Jun-16 23:44:12

I hate getting uppity about parking, but I do, so I am interested in your thoughts on our situation.

We live in a village, our house has a small slim driveway that you might get a smart car on, we don't have a smart car so have to park on the street out the front. We do however have a drop kerb to our tiny driveway. This may or may not be relevant but it's why I'm getting agitated about it more at the moment, but I am very almost about to have my 3rd baby (2weeks until due date) so parking near to my house is handy with a 5year old and 2year old in tow. We have lovely (young) neighbours who for the last two days have parked across my driveway (where I normally park) resulting in me having to park across the road a few hundred yards up, again no issue with no children or shopping bags. It just seems a bit inconsiderate of them. Am I ok to go around (or send husband) and say come on guys that's my spot spare a thought for my fat feet? Or is it a fair game spot because I usually park there?

boodlesandpoodles Fri 10-Jun-16 23:44:28

Junosmum Fri 10-Jun-16 23:48:14

Your drive = your dropped curb. What if you needed access. They shouldn't be parking across it.

As you don't actually use the drive I'd think you were being a bit of knob mentioning it in normal circumstances but in times of need (now) yanbu.

AgentZigzag Fri 10-Jun-16 23:51:49

If you say something you'll be making a huge issue out of something pretty minor, not worth it IMO for a few hundred yards.

You say they're lovely and have only done for the last couple of days why risk creating an atmosphere when they may not do it again anyway?

boodlesandpoodles Sat 11-Jun-16 00:03:52

Defo don't want to appear a knob... They have done it before but I guess we let it slide or weren't so bothered because I wasn't pregnant, plus I'm just thinking carting a baby seat down the road with the other two when baby is here isn't going to make things any easier; and they much more able to safely make the short distance down the road. Like you quite rightly say we could create a 'situation' ughhhhh

Comedyusername Sat 11-Jun-16 00:09:51

If they are lovely they will understand. If they don't have children, it won't even have crossed their mind that your need is greater than theirs, so don't feel bad.

You have my sympathy though - we can't even park outside our house (double yellows) and have nightmares trying to find a space near (ish) to the house. I sometimes avoid going out in the car for fear of not finding a spot when I get back!

dementedpixie Sat 11-Jun-16 00:11:54

I would nicely ask them not to park there as it's a dropped kerb

AgentZigzag Sat 11-Jun-16 00:14:43

If you asked them not to park there you'd really be saying that you think they should walk those few hundred yards because you've decided to have 3 children and it's fucking hard work.

Is it possible that this is riling you more than it normally would because you're only a couple of weeks off your due date and you're trying to avoid thinking about the 10 billion other things you (very reasonably) worry about when you're just about to have a baby? And it being your 3rd doesn't make a jot of difference, it's big scary stuff!

(congrats anyway for a couple of weeks time flowers )

Noshowofmojo Sat 11-Jun-16 00:37:59

They shouldn't park in front of you're drive, YANBU.

Noshowofmojo Sat 11-Jun-16 00:38:23

*your

laidbackneko Sat 11-Jun-16 00:59:41

I'm actually a bit confused that anyone other than the owner of the house would think it's ok to park on a dropped kerb to the driveway. YANBU

Peopermintea Sat 11-Jun-16 01:07:34

Ask your DH to go over and explain I'm sure they won't mind. I wouldn't be offended if someone said the same to me.

GraysAnalogy Sat 11-Jun-16 01:29:40

YANBU. Dropped kerb means they don't park there, no matter how nice they are.

clarrrp Sat 11-Jun-16 01:41:59

If you say something you'll be making a huge issue out of something pretty minor, not worth it IMO for a few hundred yards.

Did you miss the bit where she's very heavily pregnant and also has two other small children? A 'couple of hundred yards' is like a bloody marathon in those circumstances.

Arkwright Sat 11-Jun-16 08:11:25

Neither of you should be parking there if there is a dropped kerb.

londonrach Sat 11-Jun-16 08:13:35

Agree with arkwright..neither of you can park across a driveway

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sat 11-Jun-16 08:17:05

Off the point question but can't you widen your drive?

SavoyCabbage Sat 11-Jun-16 08:21:57

Yes, can't you do something about the driveway so you can get your car on it? Can you physically not get a car on there at all?

Legally you are allowed to park over a drive if there isn't a car on the drive. Which seems ridiculous.

There is no way I would park over someone's drive, narrow or not.

boodlesandpoodles Sat 11-Jun-16 08:32:10

Yes having done some research I see now it's probably not illegal if there is no car on it, and in fairness we don't use it for access unloading more than once or twice a year for firewood deliveries. different authorities deal with it differently. Not that we would ever involve them. We are two very old cottages and their cottage forms the boundary of the drive so no way to make it bigger unfortunately. Perhaps I'm old school but I would never park across a dropper kerb .... Apart from my own grin

Iamnotloobrushphobic Sat 11-Jun-16 08:36:12

You need to widen your drive and park on it. Anybody is legally allowed to park over a dropped kerb as long as they are not blocking anybody in. As you don't use your drive they are not preventing you from leaving. Just widen your drive, problem solved.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Sat 11-Jun-16 08:38:39

Okay, just seen that your drive cannot be widened. Your on,y other desperate option then is to buy the cheapest smart car you can find and park it permanently on your drive making it illegal for anyone else to park there as they would be blocking you in.

ThatsMyStapler Sat 11-Jun-16 08:42:04

the problem is, if they see you park across your driveway they think its ok to do so - we had a similar problem where sometimes we would park across and sometimes in (so not taking up any more spaces) and then we found that other people started to park across

so now we park in - doesnt help your situation, but might explain a bit how people think (i know i was surprised)

can you get a cheap non running smart car? like IANLBP says above?

londonrach Sat 11-Jun-16 09:10:33

But op you are parking across a driveway or dropped curve so others think its ok too. Id look at seeing if there someway of getting a car onto the driveway but as i said before neither of you should park across a driveway/ dropped curve even if its yours. Do police still hand out fines (doubt it but still a risk) for parking across a dropped curve as you are in theory preventing pushchairs and wheelchairs using the dropped curve.

londonrach Sat 11-Jun-16 09:11:46

Curve...kerb you silly ipad!!!!!

SpiceLinerandHoneyLove Sat 11-Jun-16 09:32:37

Buy a cheap moped and park it on the drive. Same principle as the dummy car but far cheaper!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now