Talk

Advanced search

To want to give up on ALL the bras?

(26 Posts)
TheTurtleMoves Fri 10-Jun-16 20:28:40

So I'm 20-odd weeks pregnant and easily riled hormonal.

A few days ago I went bra shopping as it was becoming unbearable to squeeze my boobs into my current bras. Now I've read the bra interventionist threads on S&B. I know which shops to avoid. I took myself off to Bravissimo and a lovely lady solemnly told me I needed a bra 3xsizes bigger than I was wearing and popped me in a lovely new one and I could have wept it was so comfortable. Happy days. So I bought 3 bras (--at great feckin' expense might I add--) and exited shop happy in knowledge of a tricky job well done.

Well I've been wearing one today. Admittedly I have been wearing it all day, I've not alternated it, or asked cherubs to hold up my boobs for part of the day, or anything else that someone is now no doubt going to tell me is standard bra-wearing practice. And it's so bastarding uncomfortable I want to cry.

Let me repeat: I bought the sodding thing 2 days ago. My boobs can't have changed that much in 48 hours can they?

So WIBU to give up on all the bras from now on? And perhaps call in sick to work for the remainder of my pregnancy on the grounds of Tit Ache?

<Grrrrrrrrrr>

Clayhead Fri 10-Jun-16 20:36:55

I always find new bras need a good few days to wear in and then they're fine.

VestalVirgin Fri 10-Jun-16 20:39:22

I never wear any bras, so ... giving up on bras altogether seems sort of reasonable to me.

Buying a new bra every couple of days would be clearly too expensive.

Zaurak Fri 10-Jun-16 20:42:43

Hotmilk. Absolutely bloody brilliant, and so so comfy. It was a revelation finding them. I ended up buying six and they've done me really well. No more deep boob pain.

Measure yourself (plenty of guides online)

Rockelburger Fri 10-Jun-16 20:46:59

I wear stretchy sports bras but in a bigger size so they are not tight. I have 36F boobs and have already had a breast reduction. Hate bras!!!

Henrysmycat Fri 10-Jun-16 20:48:15

I feel your pain. I was the same. My lovely 32C/D, exploded within days to a 32G! They were growing like bloody rhubarb overnight. But the combination of hormones, possessed body, summer humidity made everything unbearable. Also, once something started to bother me, that's all I could think of. I locked myself at work's toilet ripping of the bra label with my teeth because I was dead sure, it was causing me itching. It wasn't.
At time when things were heading in that direction (Nutjob alert!), I had one of those soft tshirt wireless bras like the ones you find in poundland to take my mind of it.

TheTurtleMoves Fri 10-Jun-16 20:51:37

I don't think it's the measuring that's the issue, I trust the girl in the shop, I think it's the bloody bra-y-ness of bras that's irritating me just now.

But seriously, bras are clothes yes? It's surely not unreasonable to expect to be able to wear your clothes all day without wanting to strip them off and burn them on a bonfire of fury? Imagine if t-shirts did this? Or socks? Or pants? FFS.

charliedontsurf Fri 10-Jun-16 21:05:11

I got a couple from here

www.bravadodesigns.eu/mobile/uk-en/maternity-and-nursing-bras-and-tank

The one I haven't doesn't seem to be on there now, but looks very similar to the 'yoga' one. Sooooo comfy. Still wearing it now to sleep in (still bf at 13 months argh!). Has washed quite well and it wasn't in specific sizes, because it's stretchy it fits really well.

Also I got a cheapy one from asda, it's like a little all in one cropped vest thing. Does nothing for shape but holds them in place and out of the way!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Fri 10-Jun-16 21:31:10

When pregnant I need bra extenders in the afternoons - my ribs seem to expand as the day goes on

SchnitzelVonKrumm Fri 10-Jun-16 21:36:29

Bravissimo fitted me in the most uncomfortable bra I've ever worn - it literally rubbed raw. Awful.

TheTurtleMoves Fri 10-Jun-16 21:46:38

Bra-extenders you say? Sounds like some sort of witch-craft.

TheTurtleMoves Fri 10-Jun-16 21:49:45

But can we please focus on the injustice of it all?

Why should it be acceptable for my clothing to hurt me? Why?

<shakes fist at the sky>

brightgreenllama Fri 10-Jun-16 21:49:48

I have always been one of those weird people who preferred to keep their bra ON at all times, until I got pregnant. I used to get home from work and whip it straight off! Sadly 10 months on I still haven't managed to get back to pre-pregnancy bra comfort levels but I am breastfeeding so still in nursing bras (because I am putting off the investment in several new bras)

Hillfarmer Fri 10-Jun-16 22:05:20

Rigby and Peller. Heaven for tits.

monkeysox Fri 10-Jun-16 22:44:18

Bra extenders. Agree. Couple of quid from eBay.

Sighing Fri 10-Jun-16 22:52:18

It's the pregnancy. My boobs would expand through the day / vary in their sensitivity. Hell. Sometimes the pressure of a bra on my nipple was too much. flowers
I used to find ataying rested & hydrated helped with the boob soreness.

TheTurtleMoves Sat 11-Jun-16 08:49:10

Really Sighing? So it could actually be the case that I'm a different size by tea time? I didn't know that. I thought this was mainly in my head/a conspiracy of bra makers.

I've been to Rigby and Pellet before. I think I was expecting miracles. I would sum up my shopping experience there as "all right".

I am, clearly, quite hard to please

MrsMook Sat 11-Jun-16 08:53:24

I go from B cup to F cup through the course of pregnancy and breastfeeding, and not surprisingly was quite sensitive. I went down the stretchy sleep bras route which gave support but gently stretched themselves around my shape.

treaclesoda Sat 11-Jun-16 08:57:38

I agree that it could be the pregnancy. I've never found bras uncomfortable except for when I was pregnant.

PippaPug Sat 11-Jun-16 09:06:13

If you want you can take them back explains how uncomfortable the bras were - they should be fine about it!

TheTurtleMoves Sat 11-Jun-16 09:37:40

Can I do that Pippa? Even though I've worn one all day? And it isn't technically uncomfortable all the time, it just became so over the course of the day...

And WHY if this is so common, aren't bra manufacturers going out of their way to accommodate this market? Eh?

And don't even get me started on the drab, mumsy tediousness that is maternity wear. Even so called fashion-forward places like TopShop etc - including a pair of leather-look leggings in your maternity range does NOT make it stylish.

<Grr>

PippaPug Fri 17-Jun-16 19:44:52

How did you get on?
They should do if you explain that you words it and by the end of the day it was very uncomfortable - you could ring up and ask? Or I think they do support online - you could try that?
Maybe it's worth you you going to get measured at the end of the day?
Maybe your breast size changed slightly which is making the bra more uncomfortable.

TipBoov Fri 17-Jun-16 21:09:33

Yes I'd try and return it if it's so uncomfortable.

I have a lovely wire free (but still structured) bra from Mothercare, I keep meaning to buy more.

RubbleBubble00 Fri 17-Jun-16 22:06:48

I could only tolerate these bras

m.debenhams.com/lingerie/miriam-stoppard-nurture

youllneverknow Fri 17-Jun-16 22:12:54

Bravissimo have amazing customer service. You should definitely ring them tomorrow and explain. I'm sure they'll be fine about it especially seeing as you were fitted by them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now