Talk

Advanced search

To ask advice on being an afterschool carer?

(10 Posts)
TrixieBedlam Fri 10-Jun-16 17:42:52

I’m about to start work as an after school helper for my neighbours who have 5 year old girl and 7 year old boy. Picking up from school and walking home, looking after until about 7pm. Only until school ends in July. I want to do a really good job for the family, unselfishly because they are lovely, and selfishly because for reasons I won’t go into here, I REALLY REALLY need them to give me a superb glowing reference.

So, can I ask, in your experiences and opinions, what makes a really good after school person? What would WOW you? (Or even not wow you, but I might not have thought of?)

I am a maths postgraduate student in case it makes any difference.

SarahAnderson Fri 10-Jun-16 19:30:51

If you're a maths student there's an easy win for a start... helping them with maths. I'd love that with mine

hollie11 Fri 10-Jun-16 19:36:40

Help with homework, cook nice healthy dinners and if any time left over, do fun activities......as long as you look after the children properly and they (the children) look forward to seeing you, the parents will be pleased/relieved that their children are happy.

iamdivergent Fri 10-Jun-16 19:37:20

For me the possible maths help would be fab; also willing to take to extra curricular activities ie swimming lessons?

SarahAnderson Fri 10-Jun-16 19:42:42

Maybe also speak to the teacher on the school gate - I would personally like this but not sure how others might feel

TiredOfSleep Fri 10-Jun-16 20:14:50

Definitely help with homework and find out about dressing up days/school trips etc.

Dozer Fri 10-Jun-16 20:19:25

envy of the parents.

Most of all get on with the DC. Doing homework/reading/maths with them might go down well with the parents (v hard to fit in on work nights when DC are tired) but perhaps not the DC, depending on what they like!

Yy to cooking, getting DC to eat veg etc.

Will you be getting DC into their PJs?

Keep house tidy(ish)

Kids entertained / kept active until 5ish (games / crafts etc), then fed, into pjs and calm. If you had time, then reading books signed, lunch made for next day, and any notes from school in a neat obvious pile would make me very happy.

SarahAnderson Fri 10-Jun-16 20:42:04

You might ask the parents how they feel about play dates, too. They might not want the added complication or they might love the idea of you having others over.

PopGoesTheWeaz Fri 10-Jun-16 21:01:47

I love when my after school nanny does messy craft projects with the kids. I just don't have the patience.

also love when she empties the dishwasher. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now