To take the Valium?

(15 Posts)
TheseLittleEarthquakes Fri 10-Jun-16 08:48:10

I've been prescribed diazepam as I been feeling very wired and anxious and a bit manic. I took one last night and it zonked me right out.

I'm in sole charge of DS today, he's 4. I'm feeling very panicky and unsettled and know I should take it but I'm worried about feeling out of it and having to be on parenting duty.

I don't know if it knocked me out so quickly last night because I took it with my usual nighttime medication (an antipsychotic) and that maybe it won't affect me the same today.

Can anybody advise me? My parents can come and get DS, or both of us if need be, but not until this afternoon.

x2boys Fri 10-Jun-16 08:50:53

What dose is it?

megletthesecond Fri 10-Jun-16 08:51:38

Gosh, I wouldn't take it in the day. Half a tablet knocks me out for an entire night. (I am a total lightweight though).

TheseLittleEarthquakes Fri 10-Jun-16 08:54:19

It's only a tiny dose, 2mg, but I was shocked at how quickly it knocked me sideways last night.

I can't cope with feeling like this though so I suppose it's take the Valium or risk self harming or something worse.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 10-Jun-16 08:56:23

Is there someone who could come help you or look after your son if you take it and it knocks you out?

Triliteral Fri 10-Jun-16 08:59:41

It may have been the combination. In addition, it was a time when you were trying to sleep. I'd try it if you need it. I've used the same dosage before and it helped me relax, which meant at bedtime, I could sleep, which I hadn't done for weeks and was therefore exhausted, but when taken in the daytime, I was still able to work.

Hope you feel better soon.

x2boys Fri 10-Jun-16 08:59:58

2mg is s small dose is it a tablet or liquid i was an RMN for yrs thr tablets are usuallly scored so if needs be you could snap it in half and take 1mg what antipsychotic medication are you on some are more sedating thrn others ?

RestlessTraveller Fri 10-Jun-16 09:04:45

Benzo's are often prescribes with along with antipsychotics as a short term measure, but the effects of them differ with each person. How old is your DS? Is he of the age where he can entertain himself? Maybe the pair of you could have a sofa and TV morning until your parents can come if you still need them to?

TheseLittleEarthquakes Fri 10-Jun-16 09:08:21

Olanzapine, but I only take it at night.

DH has just phoned. He's going to text me every hour and if I don't reply or reply oddly he's going to call my parents, they can be here in fifteen minutes.

I'm probably just over stressing and it will be fine.

TheseLittleEarthquakes Fri 10-Jun-16 09:08:56

It's a tablet.

Definitely a tv and sofa day for both of us.

x2boys Fri 10-Jun-16 09:12:23

From memory the 2mg tablets are the little white ones i think i,m pretty sure there scored in the middle so if your worried just take half now and the other half later if you need it?

TheseLittleEarthquakes Fri 10-Jun-16 09:13:40

I've taken it now. I'm sure it will be fine and if not my parents will come and get us.

RestlessTraveller Fri 10-Jun-16 09:20:23

You know what Op your posts on here are well written and legible, I think you're doing fine and are less zonked out than you think. Hope you feel better.

TheseLittleEarthquakes Fri 10-Jun-16 09:28:00

flowers

DontFuckingSayIt Fri 10-Jun-16 09:35:38

I take half a tablet occasionally when I get really worked up during the day, if anything I parent better because I'm calmer, and I can still go to work etc. They don't tend to knock me out though unless I'm already exhausted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now